Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
this thread enlightened me to a huge degree and i appreciate it very much from all the posters. there are limitations and compromises imposed by the underlying engineering design of any machine, and I see this as a foible of the Sako 85. If I bought the rifle, I would have to name it "Achilles".

smile

This discussion causes me to look upon my M700s and M77s in a new favorable light.

BP-B6

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dogger

This discussion causes me to look upon my M700s and M77s in a new favorable light.

Well there are also rifles whose names start with "S", if you prefer not to own Sako's

Two that come to mind immediately are

Steyr

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and Sauer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMHO, the Steyr Pro's are one of the best values going when purchased "pre-enjoyed at a value price!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Funny you mention the Steyr Pro Hunter... I had my eyes on them on GB in 280 Remington and the last one sold a few months back. I called Steyr USA and... "there ain't no more 280s to be had". Lick on me for not pulling the trigger on one when they were still to be had... Haven't seen one in 6.5x55 in awhile...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't do it
There you go

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have the Steyr pro's/mountain rifles in 260 Rem, 308 Win, 7mag, 300 Win Mag and 376 Steyr.

I do believe the 376 Steyr is my fav-0-rite

Shoots like this

[Linked Image]

Thumps pretty good too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Butt ugly , but usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a new Sako goes for!!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You get any more rifles, you're gonna have to start buying gun oil by the drum.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Not sure I follow, but there is a short base, a long base, an extended base, a quick release base, and then the straight up mount. There are five ring heights, with the Ringmounts being the fifth. The front mount will clamp anywhere upon the front bridge dovetail, and the rear mount rests on the rear bridge at the limiter pin. But, if you are not addressing iron sights, and have no need for the limiter pin, it can be removed, and you can then clamp the rear mount any place you desire on that dovetail.

Not sure many actually fit mounts anymore, as it sounds, here, that most just put the parts together like plumbing. But, if you hand fit the parts, and make corrections for scope adjustment, the Optilocks are easily shimmed at the ring insert and/or ring-base union, or the clamp can be machined. The mounts can then be removed and replaced without losing that fit.

If this is not enough for you, then a rail could be installed. The above Optilocks are also available with a rail base. You are not limited to the position of fixed holes in a receiver.

Also, not sure who first used the concept of a delrin "ball bearing" ring insert, Burris, Sako, or someone else...but the pivoting, self centering insert is genius.

There is only one position on the tapered dovetail where a pair of Sako Optilock rings will be both, mounted directly over the bore and parallel to the bore. The distance between the rings is not variable.

Increasing or decreasing that distance requires the use of 2 piece Optilocks with either the "short", "long", or "extended" base. While Sako specifies which action size to match each of these bases with, mismatching them with action sizes outside Sako specifications can theoretically add two alternative ring spacing options for any particular action size. While this is possible, it was not Sako's intention and still results in an overly complex proprietary optic mounting system. Further, despite all the pieces you've listed, optic fitment remains quite limited by modern standards.

The split Delrin heim bushing is a design element, which has proven to be best suited to fooling folks into mounting rifle optics off bore axis on Sako rifles without mangling scope tubes.

Your suggesting the use of shims only further supports my initial supposition that "Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako and that Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA".

I stand by my earnest assessment and suggest you revisit your understanding of Sako's proprietary optics mounting system, particularly in its most contemporary iteration.

So you're a contrarian. That's cool. Whatever blows your skirt up.

If the scope being mounted precisely over the bore's axis is an absolute requirement for you, then that's a constraint that you've placed on the system...not an inherent limitation of the design. You may not know this Kingston, but scopes have internal windage adjustment. And, you don't own any rifles upon which the scope is mounted precisely over the bore's axis (whether you realize it or not). If you're super anal retentive (and methinks that's clear), the aforementioned Delrin inserts are perfectly functional--as are the extended bases.

Gee...seems to me that you can accommodate different main tube lengths in more than one manner.

Chris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Not sure I follow, but there is a short base, a long base, an extended base, a quick release base, and then the straight up mount. There are five ring heights, with the Ringmounts being the fifth. The front mount will clamp anywhere upon the front bridge dovetail, and the rear mount rests on the rear bridge at the limiter pin. But, if you are not addressing iron sights, and have no need for the limiter pin, it can be removed, and you can then clamp the rear mount any place you desire on that dovetail.

Not sure many actually fit mounts anymore, as it sounds, here, that most just put the parts together like plumbing. But, if you hand fit the parts, and make corrections for scope adjustment, the Optilocks are easily shimmed at the ring insert and/or ring-base union, or the clamp can be machined. The mounts can then be removed and replaced without losing that fit.

If this is not enough for you, then a rail could be installed. The above Optilocks are also available with a rail base. You are not limited to the position of fixed holes in a receiver.

Also, not sure who first used the concept of a delrin "ball bearing" ring insert, Burris, Sako, or someone else...but the pivoting, self centering insert is genius.

There is only one position on the tapered dovetail where a pair of Sako Optilock rings will be both, mounted directly over the bore and parallel to the bore. The distance between the rings is not variable.

Increasing or decreasing that distance requires the use of 2 piece Optilocks with either the "short", "long", or "extended" base. While Sako specifies which action size to match each of these bases with, mismatching them with action sizes outside Sako specifications can theoretically add two alternative ring spacing options for any particular action size. While this is possible, it was not Sako's intention and still results in an overly complex proprietary optic mounting system. Further, despite all the pieces you've listed, optic fitment remains quite limited by modern standards.

The split Delrin heim bushing is a design element, which has proven to be best suited to fooling folks into mounting rifle optics off bore axis on Sako rifles without mangling scope tubes.

Your suggesting the use of shims only further supports my initial supposition that "Scope mounting options are extremely limited for the Sako and that Sako's tapered dovetail mounting scheme is a PIA".

I stand by my earnest assessment and suggest you revisit your understanding of Sako's proprietary optics mounting system, particularly in its most contemporary iteration.

So you're a contrarian. That's cool. Whatever blows your skirt up.

If the scope being mounted precisely over the bore's axis is an absolute requirement for you, then that's a constraint that you've placed on the system...not an inherent limitation of the design. You may not know this Kingston, but scopes have internal windage adjustment. And, you don't own any rifles upon which the scope is mounted precisely over the bore's axis (whether you realize it or not). If you're super anal retentive (and methinks that's clear), the aforementioned Delrin inserts are perfectly functional--as are the extended bases.

Gee...seems to me that you can accommodate different main tube lengths in more than one manner.

You can't be serious...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No different than adding moa into a base to maximize use of elevation adjustment for distance shooting, there are multiple gunsmithing options, when fitting, for making windage corrections to center internal scope adjustments, beyond that of moving the front mount fore and aft alone. So the scope can be squared up, in more than one location with the front mount. And when you include movement of the rear mount, without limiter, than you have a range of spacing, not just one spot, where the scope can be squared.

I'm starting to believe you are Flave's twin, trying to get a rise.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/27/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are delusional.

IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.