Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What's the oddest thing you've had a deer do after being shot. Both mine shot with a 270 using 130 Coreloks around 1970. On one both front legs collapsed and the buck pushed himself about 75yds to a fence and died. The second also shot through both shoulders, reared up, fell over backwards, and landed with its antlers holding it's head off the ground. It never moved. I was around 20 then and didn't pay attention to shot placement other than through the shoulders. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was around 19 and my uncle and several of his buddies planned a mouflon sheep hunt in Bracketville, TX. One of his buddies took a shot at a nice one with a 760 Rem in 6mm and it went down. Upon checking him out they were looking for an exit wound and couldn't find one. We saw where it entered the shoulder where he aimed. Well they were about to take some pics of him with sheep and when I saw it's face I had commented what's wrong with the eye? Well it seems the bullet had some how turned and exited out the eye??? Never seen anything like that before.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting 150gr Remington CoreLokt. 7mm Rem Mag.

Shot a doe for meat at about 50 yards. Her only reaction was to raise her head, look around and go back to grazing.

I loaded another round in the chamber and shot again.

She folded.

2 holes, about an inch apart, right behind the shoulder.

Guess the first failed to expand.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Arrowed a whitetail buck last year that ran about 45 yards at blazing full speed...right smack into the only tree in sight.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer drive in central Wisconsin. I dropped off several standers along a gravel road and parked my 1947 Ford stake bed truck next to a high sand bank and walked in off the road with the other standers.

Later, a buck came hell bent in my direction and I put a 87 grain .257 bullet from my 250 Savage 99 into his lungs. As he came by blood was spouting out of both sides, then there was a crash heard, but did not sound like brush.

When the drivers emerged I took up the blood trail and as I walked up to the edge of the high sand bank I found the dead deer laying on the bed of the truck.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i shot a doe a couple of years ago that was about 30 yards away and heading right for me. at the shot it ran right at me and almost ran into me. i was sitting tight against a big tree with my legs stretched out in front of me with no where to go and it ran right over my legs. my boy thought i was exaggerating until i showed him the tracks.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by roundoak

When the drivers emerged I took up the blood trail and as I walked up to the edge of the high sand bank I found the dead deer laying on the bed of the truck.

Wow, now that's the winner. cool

Had one I misread the angle and hit a little too far back take off and picked my point on the compass to head. I'm working the bolt and here it comes. Recognizes me, and makes a jump. Hit it square in the chest and it thumps the ground maybe 7-10feet in front of me.

Wish the truck would have been there to save me the drag out.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes a shot animal will lose blood pressure very fast which puts them in shock. They do some strange things then, usually just standing there like they weren't hit.
I once shot an elk 4 times right in the lungs. You could cover all 4 holes with your hand. He just stood there then slowly fell over. His lungs were a mass of jello and the far shoulder was broken. He went into shock, probably at the 1st shot, and just stood there until he died.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Wow, now that's the winner. cool

Had one I misread the angle and hit a little too far back take off and picked my point on the compass to head. I'm working the bolt and here it comes. Recognizes me, and makes a jump. Hit it square in the chest and it thumps the ground maybe 7-10feet in front of me.

Wish the truck would have been there to save me the drag out.

The old '47 has hauled a lot of deer. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And I'm sure a truck bed full of all your big ones couldn't even make it grunt.

Cool truck.

Last edited by battue; 01/29/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shot a little scrub buck a few years ago through the lower neck with my 257Wby at 300yds. Was aiming for the shoulder and I guess I pulled a little. That was before I started reloading and shooting all the time. Anyway, he ran about 100yds across a field spewing blood like a spigot then stopped, reared up, spun around in a complete circle, then fell over dead. When I got to him, he was lying in the middle of a perfect circle of blood.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Usually, when I hit whitetails through both lungs, no matter what I hit them with, they run like a bat out of hell for about 35 yards, and I hear them drop. Never see them drop, the cover is too thick but I hear it.

One time I shot a buck at 10 yards with an arrow, I was 12 feet up in a stand. I put the arrow right through him behind the shoulder, got both lungs. The deer did an about face, like someone stuck him in the ass with a thorn and stood there at full attention, ears cocked. I could see the blood POURING out of the exit wound. He looked around like which way should I sneak out of here, took 3 steps rocking like a boat and fell over.

Another time I shot a buck with a 12 gauge slug at 40 yards, again right behind the shoulder and got both lungs. My son pushed the deer to me on a one man drive, and he was slowly walking past me when I shot him. He was totally oblivious and just kept walking at the exact same pace like nothing happened. I thought I missed but I said no way as I pumped the sluggun ready to shoot again. He walked about 10 steps from where I first shot at that same slow pace and fell over.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by captdavid
What's the oddest thing you've had a deer do after being shot. Both mine shot with a 270 using 130 Coreloks around 1970. On one both front legs collapsed and the buck pushed himself about 75yds to a fence and died.Captdavid

I had the same thing happen when I shot a doe. I aimed for the point of her right shoulder. At the shot she went down in the front end and pushed herself MAYBE 25 yds into mature timber.

Upon dressing, the bullet had hit the R shoulder joint turned 90* and took out the left shoulder.

I've seen deer do almost everything imaginable from immediate collapse, rearing up, even standing as if NOTHING happened then falling over.

One interesting event was a buck shot while he was eating acorns. I shot him in the LUNGS with 35 Whelen-200 HSP @ 25 yds. His whole body stiffened up and he took @ 4 steps -- STIFF legged and fell over on his side with all 4 legs straight out--like an ironing board.

I think it KNOCKED the wind out of him---maybe shock value?

Jerry

Oh! I've seen DEAD deer run off and never fall. laugh whistle

Last edited by jwall; 01/29/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First deer I shot ran into a tree and Broke off an antler.

This year I shot a large Doe with a shotgun slug, and saw it hit, and she just sat there like she wasn't hit. I had to plug her again and then she reacted normally. Turns out the first bullet hit back a bit and followed the diaphragm and only nicked the liver. Nothing else was hit.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was hunting a few years ago in western PA and while still hunting late in the evening, I shot a small 8pt at about 40 yards through both lungs (7RM, 150gr SP). The darn thing did a back flip and then got right up and charged right at me! I shot again at 25 yards (taking out a front leg) only to have him keep coming right for me... at 10 or so yards I lifted the rifle again and fired a third round without really aiming, more form instinct... and blew his left antler clean off!

He skidded to a stop with his remaining antler, literally, touching the toe of my boot!

Who says dangerous game isn't a factor in the lower 48!!?? grin

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I forgot one. At 'dark thirty' a friend shot a spike. I picked him up about 10 minutes later. We threw him in the back of the truck to take back to camp to gut. When we got to the gate, my friend got out to open it. He said "David, the deer's standing up". At that, the deer jumped out and ran off. There was no blood in the truck, in the direction it ran, nor where the deer was standing when shot. We never found it! Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took a shot at one that turned and jumped over a log right as I pulled the trigger. The bullet hit low in the groin area, traveled forward just under the skin (splitting the skin open as it went), and exited at the bottom of the sternum.

When the deer landed on the other side of the log the entire contents of its abdomen fell out on the ground. The deer made a couple more hops, and dropped dead.

As I walked up I found a steaming pile of guts, and the deer about 15 feet past the gut pile. I killed and field dressed the deer in one shot.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I feel bad about this one to this day but at least I recovered it. About 20 years ago I was bowhunting elk. I encountered a spike on a steep hillside and shot it. I badly misjudged how steep the hill was and shot high, spining it. His back legs collapsed immediately and he folded. He then used his front legs to pull himself along for about 10 yds, then rolled further down the hill. He kept doing that and I followed him for more than 1/4 mile off the side of the mountain trying to catch up with him to finish him off. He finally rolled into a little dip where he couldn't move and I was able to get close enough to put a 2d arrow in his lungs. One good thing - he was moving TOWARD camp. I would have had to roll him down the mountain anyway.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Perhaps not weird, but my very first deer took 2 hops after the shot, right off a 'ledge' and he dropped 30 feet down a completely vertical chute.

That was a right good time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

As I walked up I found a steaming pile of guts, and the deer about 15 feet past the gut pile. I killed and field dressed the deer in one shot.

Hear! Hear!

Maybe I should practice for that shot! grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A shot a little spike one year. He walked out with three doe. I shot and the doe took off back the way they had come. The buck bolted about 15 yards and went back to rooting for acorns. He worked his way down hill towards me for about half an hour. Figured I missed him. Finally came back out to where I had a shoulder shot. Bang flop. When I pulled the skin off, the first shot hit a little high and back. Cut one back strap in half but missed the spine. He just kept feeding, guess he thought he got stung by a bee.

Many years ago I had a non hunter friend call me to come get a deer. He was a dumpster diver, scrounger. Coming home he felt a hard thump on his truck. He stopped and got out, but didn't see anything, at first. Then he saw blood on the road and started freaking out. Thought he hit a drunk on the side of the road. As he was walking back to the truck he saw blood dripping out of his tailgate. A deer jumped off the bank and impaled itself on 2X4's he pulled out of a dumpster for firewood, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The funniest I've heard was a friend's deer getting caught in a fence while running off in a way that looked like he was still standing. It took a few more rounds before he realized he was dead lol.

I'd say the oddest for me was a big 8pt WT I shot with a Marlin 30-30 when I was a kid. At the shot the buck fell down and a sapling fell over about 10' from the deer toward me. The bullet had cut the small tree down and still stayed on path to kill the deer. Blind luck.

Another was on a very spooky doe while bow hunting. See turned inside out at the shot and I thought it was a clean miss as I could see my arrow sticking in the ground and she bounded away as if nothing happened. She ran about 75yds and stopped just looking around, then started swaying and toppled over. I was kind of shocked she fell over. Got down and the arrow was fairly clean, with just a little hair. After a few yards there was a ridiculous blood trail and where she laid it looked like a horror flick. The arrow had slit her throat.

Also had a doe snap her head up to look at me as I released an arrow. It went through her left cheek before hitting the vitals.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Standing on the old railroad bed one time...A doe came out about 50 yards away, crossed the tracks and made a half circle around me. At this point she was at about 40 yards. She stopped and I hit her with the 30-30...Aiming behind the shoulder, broadside.

She began to take a step as I fired and I ended up hitting the upper leg, right above the elbow. Smashed the leg, took out the top of the heart and exited behind the other shoulder.

That deer leaped forward and up...way up and came back down in the "Y" of a tree that was right in front of her. She got herself wedged in there for a few seconds but after some judicious kicking with the back legs, she managed to topple out of the tree and landed on the ground. Another kick or two and she was done.

She only went 5 feet forward but for a little bit there, she was about 6 1/2 feet up.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I was young and naïve, I bought my first gun for deer hunting. It was a Marlin 336C in the 30/30. I asked the Gunsmith if the 30/30 was a good cartridge for deer. He said "It will knock a deer on its azz." The following year I had a buck walk out of the brush, he was facing me about 80 yards. So I shot him in the chest. Because of the recoil I didn't see the bucks reaction. But my buddy said "Wow, you flip him over backwards."

So I literally knocked a deer on its azz!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Deer drive in central Wisconsin. I dropped off several standers along a gravel road and parked my 1947 Ford stake bed truck next to a high sand bank and walked in off the road with the other standers.

Later, a buck came hell bent in my direction and I put a 87 grain .257 bullet from my 250 Savage 99 into his lungs. As he came by blood was spouting out of both sides, then there was a crash heard, but did not sound like brush.

I had a cousin that shot a doe one afternoon in the woods adjacent to a large cotton field. At the shot, the doe ran out into the field and disappeared. He expected her to go a short distance and fall. When he walked into the field, she was nowhere to be found. He backed up and started the blood trail, followed for 100-150 yards and realized it was headed straight for his Honda 110 3 wheeler (this was 20+ yrs ago). As he approached the 3 wheeler, he saw the deer piled up just on the other side of the bike. Apparently her last leap was over the bike leaving a bloody streak on the seat and handlebars.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My dad shot his biggest buck ever when I was only 4. He knocked it down as it was running past him at full sprint only 30 yards away. While it was flopping around, he put another bullet in the chest for insurance and it was over. When they cleaned the deer, they realized the hole in the chest was the only bullet hole. After investigation, they saw his first shot had hit the base of the antler, leaving a chip in the antler and knocking down the deer.

I've shot a doe with a bow and then had her run headlong into a tree.

I watched a doe run headlong into a barbed wire fence and break her neck during a man drive. Never fired a shot.

Last edited by country_20boy; 01/30/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The last deer I shot about 6-7 years ago, was a neck shot at around 50 yards. The deer reared up on its hind legs like a horse and collapsed dead.
A friend in PENN lung shot a buck at roughly 175 with a 35 REM.
The deer was feeding in an open field and at the shot, appeared to be unharmed and slowly walked into the forest. He found it dead just inside the tree line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
- shot an older doe with my bow, right through the ribs. She jumped forward, stopped, looked around for a second or two, then went back to eating. I went for a second arrow, thinking I'd missed. I got the arrow knocked and took aim. At that point, she just fell over.

- My Dad spooked a spike towards me and it was running belly to the ground as hard as he could. I shot and he rolled for a good 30-40 yards, then got up and ran another 10 yards and piled up.

- loaned a friend my 25-06 to shoot a doe, she was facing us so he shot her in the white patch on her neck. She was about 75 yards away and on the shot she did a complete back flip.

- Always heard stories about this and thought they really were just that, stories. I watched my Dad shoot a doe just as she was jumping the fence. He clipped her right behind the ribs and ripped a hole about 5" long and 4" wide. Her 'innards' slipped out, caught on the barb wire fence and nearly completely cleaned her out right there.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The same guy I know in PENN shot a large buck at dusk in archery season on a very cold night. He tracked it for awhile with a flashlight and came back the next morning, picked up the blood trail and followed it. The deer had made a circle back to his stand and he found it dead not far from where he originally hit it at.

K
K
About 10 years ago I was hunting a field sitting on the edge of a wood line partition just before the sun was coming up. At daylight, I spotted 2 heavy antlered 8pt bucks in the distance that had been bedded next to a pond about 220yds away. I watched them for a few minutes deciding which one to shoot and tried to control my breathing as I didn't have much of a shooting window since they were headed towards some thick woods.

I carefully aimed the Ruger model 77 (30-06) I had borrowed from Dad just behind the shoulders on the larger of the 2 and fired but to my surprise neither of them even flinched. How could that be since I had just zeroed this rifle? Did I flinch? Did I miss low with the Federal 165gr loads? I chambered another round and aimed for the same spot but a tad higher in case I missed low but again neither deer moved after the shot. So, I chambered another and fired which finally got their attention and they started heading towards the woods at a faster rate and would soon disappear. So, I chambered the final round and shot once more but the bucks just disappeared into the dense trees.

I couldn't understand what had happened and was sure I had hit the buck I was aiming at. I waited a few minutes and walked over to where the bucks had been and found some promising sign of blood and hair which confirmed the hit. I was too eager though and ended up walking up into the woods where they were last seen and I spooked the wounded buck pushing him out further. I waited for about 45minutes and begin following the large bright red and bubbly blood trail which ended at a road crossing. The buck had crossed and moved onto a neighbor's property.. Great.

I knocked on the neighbor's door to get permission to search for my buck but there was all kinds of activity going on at his farm. There were kids zooming around on 4 wheelers and some others working in the field. I was able to find a few more trickles of blood but lost the trail. There was just too much cow, truck, and atv traffic to figure out which direction the buck had went. One of the kids on an ATV road up and said he had seen a big buck limping across the field and he had chased him around with the 4wheeler. I asked which direction but he could not remember and I could not find any more blood. I searched until dark before finally calling it a night. I searched some more the next day but without success.

It was the most depressing hunting experience I've ever had. I've had multiple dream since then where I'm shooting but my bullets don't ever have any effect. I haven't used my Dad's Model 77 since and to this day I can't understand why I pushed the deer and didn't wait. I haven't missed another one since but I also take a little extra time to insure better shot placement and I don't push deer right after the shot.

Last edited by Kaneman23; 01/30/17.
K
K
A couple of years ago I was hunting after a snowstorm from my climber. I was only there for about 20 minutes before a small doe came up. She turned giving me the perfect heart and lung shot with my 12ga 870. She took off running after the shot spraying blood all over the fresh snow like a can of paint. She made a big loop almost back to my stand and when she crashed I could still see the blood squirting out from my scope. It was gruesome seeing the 3-4ft high streams of blood. It looked like a murder scene where she went down. My buddy and I had never seen one bleed completely out. There was only a small tip piece of heart left and it was the cleanest field dressing\processing job ever thanks to the Hornady SST. It was also the best tasting and tender venison we ever had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
see the blood squirting out from my scope

Hope your scope recovered.

I simply hate the no reaction what so ever. Makes one think he has missed and can result in additional holes and more blood shot groceries.

Fortunately in most instances as I'm settling in for a second round, they tip over.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/30/17.

1Minute
K
K
Originally Posted by 1minute
see the blood squirting out from my scope

Hope your scope recovered.

I simply hate the no reaction what so ever. Makes one think he has missed and can result in additional holes and more blood shot groceries.

Fortunately in most instances as I'm settling in for a second round, they tip over.

I was way up in a tree but the deer was only about 40yds from me. The snow looked like a blood slushy or something. I've never had one bleed completely out like that and it wasn't a large gaping exit wound either.

The no reaction are the worse. Especially during muzzleloader when you have to take your eyes off the deer for a reload. I shot 2 spikes one year with muzzleloader. I shot one and the other just froze and went back to eating giving me time to reload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL. That is AWESOME!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Crazy! laugh

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Long ago I shot a dandy little 6 point with a BR-78 Browning .30-06. Load was a 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking driven as fast as I could (young and dumb, thinking I needed a murderously heavy load for killing whitetails). At 50 yards I hit him in the spine at the base of the neck whereupon his front legs buckled as his rear legs kicked straight back. That flipped him on his back, with his four hooves up in the air quivering. I swear when I walked up to him there was steam coming out of the wound. I told everybody back then that the wound was "smoking" of course! (By the way that bullet didn't exit, rather exploded in there like a mini hand grenade. Several other violent meat wasting experiences with that bullet/velocity taught me to tone things down a bit.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/01/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was with a bow.... Shot a buck on a really cold day, quartering away, zipped a broadhead right through the boiler room. Deer jumped up and looked around and just stood there like nothing had happened, I could see blood poring out both holes. After about 10 seconds he took 1 step and fell over.

The shot was really close, like maybe 10 yards, probly closer to 8.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
[quote]

I've said before that they can go into shock from a sudden drop in blood pressure. This is a list of common symptoms in humans. Obviously, it's impossible to tell if a deer has most of these but the 1st one is telltale when you have one just stand there after you know you had a good shot.
Some of the typical signs and symptoms of shock usually include at least two or more of the following:

Confusion or lack of alertness
Loss of consciousness
A sudden and ongoing rapid heartbeat
Sweating
Pale skin
A weak pulse
Rapid breathing
Decreased or no urine output
Cool hands and feet

Any of these alone is unlikely to be a sign or symptom of shock.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i shot a 6pt in a very steep hollow that we named 'the hell hole' because its so hard to get a deer up out of. i shot him he took a giant leap and landed dead. i could see him laying spread out flat so i start going down in the hell hole to get him. well i get to the steep bank where i shot him look down the hill and no deer. i stand there amazed. i look and look and i can't find him. this bank is full of downed trees and vines.i just sat down on a log wondering where the heck he could have gone. i just happened to look up and 10ft from me was the deers tail hanging straight down from a mat of vines that grew between 3 trees. the deer had jumped off the bank and was laying 6ft off the ground on the vines. when i walked under him i could barely reach him to pull him off of the vines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=roundoak]Deer drive in central Wisconsin. I dropped off several standers along a gravel road and parked my 1947 Ford stake bed truck next to a high sand bank and walked in off the road with the other standers.

When the drivers emerged I took up the blood trail and as I walked up to the edge of the high sand bank I found the dead deer
laying on the bed of the truck. [

LOL. That is AWESOME!
Talk about freezer training a deer!

Last edited by gophergunner; 02/02/17.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was standing on a logging trail in Ohio and someone ran a gnarly old 8 point right up to me. He was so close when I shot him, the wad was stuck in his hide. He reared up on his back legs and turned to run, falling dead in his tracks. I never realized how long a deer is when he goes up on his hind legs like that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have seen or been around most all the above. But NOT the deer in the bed of either truck mentioned. Neither the one up the tree, but have seen more than a few run into trees.

Don't really consider much of the stuff mentioned anything but normal sooner or later.

The one thing I"ve seen ONCE, and never again, and this with being around hundreds if not over 1000 deer shot...

Wife and I were harvesting does as fast as we could. A hunter we'd had in had left 2 boxes of 300 wtby 168 ballistic tips. Wasn't turning them down. No way in heck I'd shoot a deer anywhere but the head with those bombs.

So away we went, I think we had 6 or 7 down when we found a doe standing in a gully, couldn't really see her legs or below. Carolyn smacks her in the head like normal, maybe an 80ish yard shot. Deer is gone. I figured that with her in the gully, we'd not see her, all normal. Then she is up and doing a back flip in the air. The weird part is there was no head attached, just teh body and a neck. She was gone again, but showed up with 2 or 3 more complete body flips in the air and then gone.

When we got to the gully to drag her back, there was one strip of hair left, about 1.5 inches wide that kind of had part of an ear base attached, NOTHING else above the ear level at all.

I shot one once with 308 and 168 smks, wasn't weird but kind of funny. Totally took one ear off and it was sitting upright in the sendero all by itself about 10-15 feet beyond where the doe was laying. I've seen parts gone, but never seen an ear sitting upright.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
...Deer is gone. I figured that with her in the gully, we'd not see her, all normal. Then she is up and doing a back flip in the air. The weird part is there was no head attached, just teh body and a neck. She was gone again, but showed up with 2 or 3 more complete body flips in the air and then gone.

Reminds me of chopping the head off a chicken.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a Doe at 25 yards with my .30-30 and she stood straight up in the air and fell over backwards.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Arrowed a whitetail buck last year that ran about 45 yards at blazing full speed...right smack into the only tree in sight.

Same thing happened to a nice buck i shot with a bow.

Hunting with a sharp fellow in Co when i arrowed a nice bull elk one evening. We had trouble following its trail and i figured we wouldnt find it. He showed me where it knocked a couple of 3-4 inch limbs off a big fallen pine.

He told me we would get it as the elk had lost a lot of blood and gone blind.

We did. Perfect heart shot.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/02/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I shot a big 8 point (4x4) in a thick woodlot with a 12 gauge when I was youngster. Shot in the chest at about 50 yards just behind the shoulder crease with an old foster slug. The deer went into a full tilt death run. I didn't know I hit it, so kept shooting and pumping the old 870. A few seconds later the deer ran straight into a large tangle of vines. The vines bowed out just like a giant sling shot or catapault. At about the end of the strech the buck expired, the remaining energy of vine tangle catapaulted the buck back the way he came about 25 feet in a heap. I only hit him with the first shot and missed all of the other three I shot at him. So much for shoting running deer. I was very relieved, as he was heading for a property line and figured the neighbors would tag him regardless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a small buck in the woods at a very close 25 yards with a 30-30 Winchester. At the shot the deer ran hard going down hill and ran right into a tree with his chest and spun him 180 degrees where he fell dead. It was an odd sight.

Another time I was hunting with my brother and he shot a doe in a field where there was a buck with her. After the doe dropped the buck tried to mount her on the ground. We both watched in disbelief at what was going on.

Yet another time I was hunting with my brother and there were several deer standing in the field in front of my uncle's house. I shot one of the does and she dropped. The other deer panicked and actually ran towards us. I think the echo of the shot in that corner was confusing. They got within 50 yards or so before my brother shot one too. Before his deer could hit the ground my uncle's border collie had tackled it with his front paws standing on it as proud as he could be. I would not have believed it if I had not been there.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had a friend shoot one that ran headlong into a small tree that was just springy enough to launch it backward a ways.

Shot a few that ran headlong into big trees, and one of those looked like she went up the trunk about ten feet before hitting the ground dead.

Bow shot a few that were straight under my tree and hit em in the spine, and they'd flip upside down with legs straight up in the air.

Shot a big doe during a rare heavy snow here in middle Tennessee. About six inches of snow on the ground and I was hunting at the top of a LONG narrow steep draw. It was coming down so hard that I lost sight of her at the shot, only to see her a few seconds later sliding ALL the way down the draw on her side in the snow. My guess is it was about a 75 yard slide and she never touched a tree that could stop her.

That was a fun drag.

Last edited by paint; 02/03/17.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
First deer my stepson killed He shot a button buck right through the stomach with a 30-30. It took a step and kept eating clover.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another friend in PENN was on stand during a bear drive and a had a bear running his way. He waited until it paused and looked back toward the drivers and he shot it in the chest with a 30-06. The bear took off full speed towards a large tree and climbed a good 10 feet up it before giving the death moan and dropping to the ground dead. He told me was amazed how it climbed the tree so quickly for an animal of that size. He has taken 3 bear in PENN over the years and he said the death moan always spooks him.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jericho

Your friend wasn't exaggerating. I saw a large bear climb ( FLY ) up a tree and I literally couldn't believe my eyes.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
https://youtu.be/XDTfWu_ZMko Yep bear can climb a tree much faster than most people realize.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Walking an old logging road, a nice 4 point(4x4) came out of the timber and jumped the road. There was another road below me and the buck took off running down that road away from me. I centered the cross hairs between his shoulder blades and touched one off. At the shot his ass passed his head, I've not seen such acrobatics since.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was pheasant hunting into a stiff wind my friend's springer. The dog jumped right into a bedded buck that never smelled or heard us coming. I looked over to see the deer stomping and goring him with his antlers. The dog was pinned by the big deer standing over him in very thick grass. I shouted at the deer and shot over it's back…nothing. I then put a load of high base lead 4s into his shoulder from about 30 feet. He stopped working over the dog and started to circle me before I put another blast into his face and neck. He changed direction, walked a short distance, fell down and died. The dog was beat up, but ended up being fine.

A buddy shot a small 8-point buck with his bow. It was wounded and he tracked it most of the day. When he finally jumped it, the animal charged him. He was able to get behind a tree and pin it's antlers on the opposite side of the tree, then finish it off with his knife in one hand, and an antler in the other. He said he was relieved the deer was relatively weakened because even in that state, the creature was incredibly strong. As he was working it over with his knife to its neck, the sounds it made still haunt him.

I shot a big buck low in the brisket as he was quartering toward me within 40 feet with a 180 grain Core Lokt from my 30.06. The bullet didn't exit the deer and was lodged against the skin of the opposite leg. At the place and surrounding area of the shot there was not a single hair or drop of blood to be found. We didn't find him until the next day. It has been the only deer I have shot and didn't recover within a short time of shooting it.

Another time I was testing out a .308 I had just bought for my son. I shot a small buck from about the same distance with 150 grain Federal blue box behind the shoulder. The deer died almost on the spot, but on closer inspection, the bullet did not exit the deer. Prior to these experiences I had killed a lot of deer with the Core Lokts in particular. I have since have been doing some hunting with tsx and have seen very good results.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad and my uncle were standing on a ridge watching a patch below them that had been logged out a couple of years prior. A doe came running through the patch and my uncle fired one shot and the deer did a cart wheel into the brush. They both looked for a good 45 minutes and couldnt find the deer, but knew it was dead somewhere. My uncle finally went back up to the ridge and had my dad walk to the spot they last saw the deer and my dad immediately saw its legs sticking out from under an upturned stump. It had dove or rolled under the stump after it was shot. My dad said it looked had it had been stuffed under the stump.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shotgun slug hunting in MN. Group of four deer break out of woods and run across field. I shoot the lead doe at about 30 yards and she does a summersault landing on her back. The two little ones behind her(probably her twins) run up and start nudging her and bleating. I let them run off.

Another time I am sitting on the edge of a ravine. Small doe comes running up the hill right at me. I shoot at about 15 feet and she blows back on her feet and tumbles back down the 15' ravine.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am NOT a bow hunter but a few years back was watching a hunting show where I guy shot a grazing buck around 30 yards. It was a clean pass through behind the shoulders through the lungs. The buck jerked his head up looked around then went back to feeding. You could see the blood running down his side. After about 30 seconds he started swaying, took a few steps and collapsed. At the shot, never really reacted to flee, just went back to eating. Damndest thing I ever saw.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest son shot a buck- a perfect double-lunger.

At the shot the deer took off running and he made a second shot to try and anchor the deer at 80 yards.
His second shot creased the underside of the buck, and the entire gut contents- stomach and intestines, fell completely out of the deer.

It looked like someone had taken a scalpel and had made a surgical incision right across the buck's belly.

Easiest gut-job ever.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My buddy and I were really lucky to each draw Tule elk cow tags (as well as pronghorn tags) in 2005. Unheard of in CA. A Tule elk hunt is pretty much a slam-dunk proposition because very few tags are permitted each year and the elk are not spooky at all. On the elk hunt, we had decided, my buddy had 1st shot. We located a herd of about 30 animals, 18 of which were bulls, many were 6x6 or better and the herd bull was a massive 8x7. They were all spread about, bedded and undisturbed, but no shot was possible because of their proximity to each other. After waiting for the better part of 2 hours, one large cow got up and moved away from the rest and finally presented a shot. His rifle was a .375 H&H with 270g, factory Corelokts, distance about 100 yds. Watching through my binocular, I saw the perfect broadside heart-lung hit and saw blood spraying out the far side. The cow just stood there. The other elk now certainly disturbed began to rise and mill about preventing a follow up shot. Soon a few of the satellite bulls ran over to the now slumping cow and began mounting her, one after another, a jaw-dropping spectacle. At last we moved toward the herd and chased them away so a finishing shot was possible. I got my yearling cow (great choice for the tender meat harvested) while we approached the now finished bigger cow. I had brought along a video camera and recorded the whole affair. Incidentally, we also each got a pronghorn buck that year, though with no unusual happenings.

Last edited by win2; 02/18/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest Washington deer I ever personally put hands on was a 26 1/2" 5x5 mulie from last season. We had hunted the morning without luck and decided to spend the afternoon steelhead fishing. It was a good call as there were plenty of fish stacked up at the mouth of the Clearwater River. We ended up fishing until almost dark and were headed out. The road back to camp includes a steep windy downhill section of dirt road for about 3 miles that is maybe 10' wide with a 15' cut bank on one side and about 120' steep drop off on the other side.

We were making a good clip down it in my new F350 pulling my 19' sled. Upon rounding a hairpin corner said buck jumped off the cut bank about 50' in front of me. There was no way I was going to be able to stop so I got over as far as I could and hoped for the best. The buck tried to run downhill and across in front of us and I had no choice but to take him down my passenger side between me and the drop off. He ducked just as my mirror went over his back and surpisingly didn't hit the mirror and we heard no impact to the truck or boat. We all commented about what a close call it was and it was a shame we couldn't manage to harvest a buck like that.

We got back to camp and I started dinner as we waited for the rest of the guys out hunting to return. When they got back they started flipping us all kinds of chit asking why we took the boat hunting without them. I told them we didn't hunt and to check the fish box of the boat to which he replied "I would if you would have dressed and hung your big ass buck so it wasn't in the way".

I walked over to my boat with my flashlight and sure as chit that damn buck was laid out dead on the floor of the boat with almost no blood on the deck. We hung him up to dress him and there was no visible exernal damage, neck and spine were intact no broken legs etc. We opened him up and it looked like a bomb went off in his chest. He had 3 ribs that were missing about 4-6" of bone, lungs were jello and his heart was damn near ripped in 2. The meat was damn near perfect and there was almost no bloodshot meat just a little at the sight of the rib fractures.

We looked over the truck and boat in the morning and could find no damage to either, just what appeared to be a little of the loose dust from the road rubbed off the bow area. All we can figure is he cleared the truck and thought he was home free so he hooked a right and got struck by the bow of the boat rolling him over the side onto the floor. It's my guess that the rib chunks from the impact are what took out his lung and heart killing him.

Filed a salvage tag with the game dept the next day after the morning hunt and went out to fill our tags. We all got good deer that trip but all we could discuss was getting long cocked by the Alumaweld.

Still the damndest thing I have ever seen while hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buck I shot this year. Hit him first shot feeding in a pasture. Took off, ran about 75 yards. Stopped and went back to eating. Thinking I must have had a bad first shot, fired again, ran about 100 yards more and piled up. Both shots in the vitals.

Couple years ago my Dad shot a real good buck. Fired first shot while the deer was walking, 2 more shots on the run. Deer circled and ran in to the base of his ladder stand bending the rails for it. All three hits in the vitals.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot an antelope buck in Wyoming at 250 yards as it slowly walked broadside. At the shot, which hit him in the heart, he took off running at full speed. He then made a 90 degree turn without slowing down a fraction and came running full tilt straight at me. The lights went out while he was at full throttle and he did a full front somersault about 75 yards from me, skidding to a stop in a cloud of dust. It is amazing to see how fast they can accelerate and the speeds that they can reach.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Crazy! laugh

Yep. That one is tough to beat.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've have a few weird ones actually.

The oddest one probably would be a WI doe. We had a season called Earn-a-buck. You had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck. I had been sitting in the rain almost all day and about had enough. I was slowly walking back to my truck which was about 1/2 mile away. I stopped and sat on a log in an area that I've seen a bunch of deer, in the past.

I stood up to start moving again and spotted or spooked 5 does that were walking along in single file. The second to last was by far the biggest. I shot her at a hard quarter to shot, just in front of the shoulder. She turned around, stood on her hind legs and beat the ever living piss out of the deer behind her with her front legs. Then, they all took off. I heard her crash. She'd gone about 30-40 yards and piled up.

I was shooting a Win. M70 fwt, in .308 Win. 180gr Core-lokts.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I missed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy shot at a buck with his bow. At the shot it ran into a bush, thrashed around for a good bit, and finally collapsed. He climbed down and dressed it out, then started to look for the arrow wound. Wasn't one. He'd gutted the deer to death after it had exhausted itself in the bush.

Hey, I don't make 'em up, I just repeat 'em.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shot a 10 point buck coming towards me up a steep hill and flipped him over backwards with a 30/06(165gr Speer factory load). He never hit the ground, antlers got hung up in a low branch on an apple tree and there he hung. 1996, antlers are hanging in my garage.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a deer, but I got an odd reaction when I shot a smallish snowshoe hare with a 165 grain Sierra soft point boattail out of my 30-06 at a range of 30 feet. I aimed at mid ribs as the rabbit stood broadside. The bunny did not even twitch at the shot, and then leaned forward and took a nibble of green sticking up out of the snow. I thought it was a clean miss, and then the rabbit dropped dead. It had a perfect 30 cal. hole through both lungs, no expansion of the bullet whatsoever. I took that as proof that Elmer Keith was right and that I needed a bigger bore... grin

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Shot a doe for meat

I'm sorry. This always makes me laugh. Why else do you shoot a doe? laugh

Kelly
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back when I was about 16, I liked to go rabbit hunting with my Daisy Powerbelt air rifle. If you put the BB in the right spot, they'd fall right over dead. Anyway, the starngest thing I've ever seen was this one rabbit that I spotted. I shot at it, with no reaction. I was extremely surprised, because I just did not miss. Ever. It kept sitting there, so I eased a few feet closer, and shot again, with the exact same reaction! I eased a few feet closer (now only about 15 feet from it), and tried again, still with the exact same result! I finally walked all the way up to it and touched it with the toe of my boot, at which time it just fell over! I had killed that rabbit with the 1st shot, but the body just kept sitting there.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Biggest Washington deer I ever personally put hands on was a 26 1/2" 5x5 mulie from last season. We had hunted the morning without luck and decided to spend the afternoon steelhead fishing. It was a good call as there were plenty of fish stacked up at the mouth of the Clearwater River. We ended up fishing until almost dark and were headed out. The road back to camp includes a steep windy downhill section of dirt road for about 3 miles that is maybe 10' wide with a 15' cut bank on one side and about 120' steep drop off on the other side.

We were making a good clip down it in my new F350 pulling my 19' sled. Upon rounding a hairpin corner said buck jumped off the cut bank about 50' in front of me. There was no way I was going to be able to stop so I got over as far as I could and hoped for the best. The buck tried to run downhill and across in front of us and I had no choice but to take him down my passenger side between me and the drop off. He ducked just as my mirror went over his back and surpisingly didn't hit the mirror and we heard no impact to the truck or boat. We all commented about what a close call it was and it was a shame we couldn't manage to harvest a buck like that.

We got back to camp and I started dinner as we waited for the rest of the guys out hunting to return. When they got back they started flipping us all kinds of chit asking why we took the boat hunting without them. I told them we didn't hunt and to check the fish box of the boat to which he replied "I would if you would have dressed and hung your big ass buck so it wasn't in the way".

I walked over to my boat with my flashlight and sure as chit that damn buck was laid out dead on the floor of the boat with almost no blood on the deck. We hung him up to dress him and there was no visible exernal damage, neck and spine were intact no broken legs etc. We opened him up and it looked like a bomb went off in his chest. He had 3 ribs that were missing about 4-6" of bone, lungs were jello and his heart was damn near ripped in 2. The meat was damn near perfect and there was almost no bloodshot meat just a little at the sight of the rib fractures.

We looked over the truck and boat in the morning and could find no damage to either, just what appeared to be a little of the loose dust from the road rubbed off the bow area. All we can figure is he cleared the truck and thought he was home free so he hooked a right and got struck by the bow of the boat rolling him over the side onto the floor. It's my guess that the rib chunks from the impact are what took out his lung and heart killing him.

Filed a salvage tag with the game dept the next day after the morning hunt and went out to fill our tags. We all got good deer that trip but all we could discuss was getting long cocked by the Alumaweld.

Wow! Winner for oddest deer story.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mallard, I'd like to see a picture of that buck.

Weird thing happened Friday night.. hunting hogs at night, 113 steps, 7.62x39 with a barnes bullet.

Night vision, was trying to make a head shot when the pig may have caught a bit of wind, and started to walk off so I drop down to a low chest shot and push the trigger.

Buddies about 250 yards away watch in the thermal monocular and said they saw the hog start to walk off, heard a pop, and then watched the hog walk, WALK off into the brush like normal.

We found him a bit later, he'd made about 20 yards, broke the front leg low and put a nice size hole in the heart and exited...

I've never seen a pig hit like that just keep walking. I"ve seen deer do it, but never a pig. Once they spook they usually haul it for a bit anyways to cover.

The other one is a BIL story, not so weird as in reaction, but in what the bullet did. He shot a javelina in the head around 70 yards, there was another that was about 20 yards behind it and way off to the left, probably 20 feet left of the first one. First one flopped, second one flopped. Then got up cut a few circles and fell over. First was head just fine, the bullet had to hit the ground, deflect, ricochet and then hit the 2nd one a bit low under the ear, and probably hit the cartoid from the looks of the blood trail...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by KMS
Shot a doe for meat

Fun?

Culling overpopulation?

Training a GSP to follow blood.

But I know what you mean. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Great story. Thanks.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I killed a doe and with the greatest desire any non-starving hunter ever had to do so.

I was 16, with a Ben Pearson 57lb recurve and No7 Micro-flite with Bear Broadhead with Razor Blade inserts.

I was in some type of abnormal oak tree just beside a South Texas oak motte. The tree was abnormal as it had normal type limbs rather than being limbless until near the top, as were the trees in the motte, being all tall and skinny and grouped closely together.

I was standing on a limb when the "yearling deer" came in to feed on acorns under me. Was this to be my first deer kill with a bow?

I leaned over after drawing the bow and aimed straight down between its shoulders about 10 feet below before loosing my fingers and letting death go.

The deer ran about 60 feet, looked around and started feeding again. Feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone I looked down and could not see my arrow. I quietly turned and looked again at the feeding deer. No arrow was seen anywhere.

In disbelief, I didnt know what to do.

After a bit the deer laid down and kept looking around. A while later it laid its head down and died. Ecstatic, I climbed down and turned around and was immediately was startled to see my arrow right there sticking up from the ground. One minute it was gone and then it was there.

It had been sticking up straight up at me and the knock had blended in with the in the forest floor.

I had my first big game with a bow, and I was at the beginning a wonderful journey through life and many states and many times of lying awake at night before, during and after hunting season planning many thousands of assaults and ambushes which led to many hours of expectant travel and hunting camps and early mornings and laborious hunts in Gods purple hills and green valleys while hunting deer, turkeys, elk, bear and moose, usually without the reward of the ultimate prize but with enough rare success and expectant faith to keep the desire alive.

Thank you Lord. Jag. [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/07/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by KMS
Shot a doe for meat

Fun?

Culling overpopulation?

Training a GSP to follow blood.

But I know what you mean. wink

They got Boone and Crockett does down here! grin

You left out "Self Defense" as a reason too! whistle smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I killed a doe and with the greatest desire any non-starving hunter ever had to do so.

I was 16, with a Ben Pearson 57lb recurve and No7 Micro-flite with Bear Broadhead with Razor Blade inserts.

I was in some type of abnormal oak tree just beside a South Texas oak motte. The tree was abnormal as it had normal type limbs rather than being limbless until near the top, as were the trees in the motte, being all tall and skinny and grouped closely together.

I was standing on a limb when the "yearling deer" came in to feed on acorns under me. Was this to be my first deer kill with a bow?

I leaned over after drawing the bow and aimed straight down between its shoulders about 10 feet below before loosing my fingers and letting death go.

The deer ran about 60 feet, looked around and started feeding again. Feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone I looked down and could not see my arrow. I quietly turned and looked again at the feeding deer. No arrow was seen anywhere.

In disbelief, I didnt know what to do.

After a bit the deer laid down and kept looking around. A while later it laid its head down and died. Ecstatic, I climbed down and turned around and was immediately was startled to see my arrow right there sticking up from the ground. One minute it was gone and then it was there.

It had been sticking up straight up at me and the knock had blended in with the in the forest floor.

I had my first big game with a bow, and I was at the beginning a wonderful journey through life and many states and many times of lying awake at night before, during and after hunting season planning many thousands of assaults and ambushes which led to many hours of expectant travel and hunting camps and early mornings and laborious hunts in Gods purple hills and green valleys while hunting deer, turkeys, elk, bear and moose, usually without the reward of the ultimate prize but with enough rare success and expectant faith to keep the desire alive.

Thank you Lord. Jag.

Good Story!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have talked to guys that hunt crows on a regular basis and a couple of them have told me of shooting a crow in a tree and the dead crow will grip the limb with one of its feet and hang upside down even though its dead.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have seen crows do that, thought it was a fluke.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks Barry.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.