Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CKW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a G2 Spike Camp and like it very much. Now when I go to the Kifaru site there is a completely different line of packs. Did Patrick Smith sell Kifaru?

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Changing with the times and what the public is looking for. There was a message sent to Kifaru owners a while back. Still tough as nails, made in the USA and worth every penny.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hadn't heard that but if you call them up and ask them, they'll tell you. For a long time their line of packs was relatively unchanged, but in the last few years they've come out with a lot of new designs, it could just be a continuation of that trend.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, lots of new stuff... wuality is stilll good, if you hunt their site often you can find the old stuff at a pretty good discount.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Patrick has semi-retired. His daughters still own the business, but the design and marketing reins have been handed over to Patrick's hand-picked successor, Aron Snyder.

Patrick has a long blog post on the Kifaru forum titled "Road Trip" where he talks about Kifaru in the context of the road trip he's taking at the time and the details are buried in that post.

Raod Trip

INTERLUDE THREE: KIFARU’S FUTURE

I established Kifaru International in 1997 with the intention of its being an ongoing multi-generational family company. My girls, a grandchild and two sons-in-law work there. They have signed on to the multi-generational Plan and fully intend to carry it forward. I am now a very fit 72 year old. But, the actuary experts say that I’m more and more vulnerable to being felled by non-cardiovascular health issues. Or, by the dangers of wandering the wilderness alone, which I’ve dodged so far in a very long career of being Out There.
None of my beloved girls, or sons-in-law, have turned out to possess the craziness to be hard-core backpackers/backpack hunters/solitary ramblers like the Old Man. Nor do they have whatever gene it is that turned the Old Man into a Designer of the gear he uses to do what he loves out-of-doors. I won’t live forever, and something may get me yet. So. What would my beloved company do without its spear-tip of field authenticity and pivotal designs? I’ve worried about that Succession problem for years.

About four years ago a young fellow by the name of Aron Snyder contacted me about testing Kifaru packs. He was a very popular tester of backpack hunting gear, posting his test findings of company’s products across the Net. His pack testing was refreshingly hard-core. Far from being a backyard or day-trip tester the man beat hell out of his test subjects, carrying very, very heavy loads over very long distances in bad-ass terrain. He was the real-deal, and scrupulously honest in his Reports. He flat-out broke most tested packs. He told me that Kifaru loyalists on the various message boards challenged him to test Kifaru packs. Hence the contact with me. My kind of guy as a tester, and so I handed him some Kifaru sample packs and he headed out. He returned a Kifaru convert! Of all the packs he had wrung out Kifaru was THE ONE that stood above all. (We agreed on that, to be non-bragging honest.)

And so began a relationship that bloomed, with Aron eventually joining the company. I had searched for years for a truly hard-core, field designer/marketer replacement to myself for the company. Someone who conceived gear afield and tested relentlessly till perfection before turning it over to all-important Kifaru Users. Aron does all that, and certainly knows intimately the workings of world-class gear. He gets it. So. World class designer/user/very well-known bowhunter, AND marketer; Aron wholeheartedly subscribes to his own versions of the “Dirt Clinics” method of promotion and feedback I pioneered with Mountainsmith. His Kifaru Mountain Warrior Training Camp, backpacking trips with Users, and the HUB program (teaming with non-competing industry-leader firms) testify to his marketing prowess. He is also thoroughly up to date with all aspects of Social Media as the newest method for getting the word out about our gear. He is a very capable manager too, and is functioning as our COO along with a consortium of the Kids that function as a Council that works quite well. I am very proud of Aron. He is the son I never had, sharing my outdoor passions and fully capable of replacing me in this career I love so much. He is a stake holder in the company. He is Family.

Sarah and I have a Financial Advisor. Most successful business owners need one nowadays, what with the complexities of operating in a massive and complicated Government environment. We have had many Succession discussions with Andy, our Advisor. He counsels that the single biggest mistake passionate business founders make is holding on too tightly and for too long. I have come to realize that I do the Family Kifaru a disservice by not allowing them to get used to running the show. So I have semi-retired myself. There’s bittersweetness in that. But there is genuine sweetness in being even more foot-loose. I always devoted a great deal of nights afield, but now those outings can be much longer because I don’t have to get back to the Shop and deal with administrivia. This Road Trip is an example; expect more of the same.

In conclusion, the company is in fine shape. Design-wise, we have Aron as well as our very fine professional designer Eric Bender, and myself. Yes, I’m still involved. We three are behind the continuing updating of my original suspension systems…the very things that brought Aron to us in the first place. A great many folks hold them as the world’s Gold Standard. Aron and Eric are bringing world-class new and /or revised bags along at a good clip. And I will continue investigating seminal new stuff…which I can’t talk about, sorry. Kifaru customers win and so do we. We have an amazingly talented sewing, assembly and customer service staff. These folks are dedicated Kifaru-ites as well; we have an extremely low staff turnover. I am very proud of our team, and would match them against any staff group on earth. We are well managed. We husband our resources and can move very quickly. The Ultimate Big Hairy Decisions are still mine.

All of which makes me a happy aging mountain man. I’ve had a long and extremely gratifying career earning our living doing what I’d do without pay. I have a very tight and loving family and fifty two years of marriage to my high school sweetheart. God has been very, very good to me. I’m sometimes reminded of the famous refrain from the Grateful Dead’s song, Truckin’: “What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been”. But a GOOD one when it’s all said and done. And it is by no means finished.

IC B2

C
CKW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That post from Patrick answers my question. Thanks for providing it.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been a fan basically a glorified duffle bag on a really nice frame. When I hunt I constantly want access to different gear during the day. I don't wanna dig in the main compartment. Those packs have never been good with pockets. On a given day I am adding and removing clothes then adding again. Grabbing snacks and lunch, putting more clothes on at the end then wanting my head lamp among other things. A duffle bag style pack sucks

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Never been a fan basically a glorified duffle bag on a really nice frame. When I hunt I constantly want access to different gear during the day. I don't wanna dig in the main compartment. Those packs have never been good with pockets. On a given day I am adding and removing clothes then adding again. Grabbing snacks and lunch, putting more clothes on at the end then wanting my head lamp among other things. A duffle bag style pack sucks

Five years ago that may have been true, but not any more.

You shouldn't slam a company like that when you haven't bothered to keep current with their products.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You can pretty much put pouches or pockets anywhere on these packs , not sure where you came up with the duffel bag idea..........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I literally disagree with 99% of the posts Ive run across by you on 24HC...

Its a weird phenomenon...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kifaru is in very good hands. We've used and loved their packs for years and the latest models are very well thought out.

Made right here in the USA, I am willing to pay a premium for that and their warranty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Spoken like somebody that had never used one.

Good news is, when Savage 99 is gone we still have you!

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You're an idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could go count the pockets/compartments on my T2, I'd need to use fingers on both of my hands.....

If i recall the Longhunter was more of a "duffel". Lots of options since that model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
You can pretty much put pouches or pockets anywhere on these packs , not sure where you came up with the duffel bag idea..........

why not buy a pack that already has them instead of having to buy more add on pockets. It does look to me like the packs are better with storage than the stuff from a couple years ago. Frankly I could not stand the duffle type concept of their packs. people raved about packs like the long hunter. I had to wonder did anyone actually ever use it? I would hate a pack like that. I don't want to dig everything out to get a headlamp or a freaking piece of jerky out of the thing. better organized packs I probably don't even unpack the pack all the way when I setup camp. With the duffle concept everything must come out and everything must be packed up when its time to go in the morning.

you guys can call me whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me what doesn't. I actually use my gear. I hunt and hike in the west on public lands. I have no brand loyalty which people seem to get all butt hurt when someone tells them why they may have bought the wrong thing.

below is the size of pack that would interest most. a 3400 and 4000 size. I have to ask how in the hell is this different from a duffle bag? there isn't one pocket on the pack. its all fishing stuff out of a duffle bag. most the rest of their packs are similar. its a glorifed army ruck sack [Linked Image]

might as well just carry this for a pack [Linked Image]

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 02/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
starsky pegged it...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

why not buy a pack that already has them instead of having to buy more add on pockets. It does look to me like the packs are better with storage than the stuff from a couple years ago. Frankly I could not stand the duffle type concept of their packs. people raved about packs like the long hunter. I had to wonder did anyone actually ever use it? I would hate a pack like that. I don't want to dig everything out to get a headlamp or a freaking piece of jerky out of the thing. better organized packs I probably don't even unpack the pack all the way when I setup camp. With the duffle concept everything must come out and everything must be packed up when its time to go in the morning.

you guys can call me whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me what doesn't. I actually use my gear. I hunt and hike in the west on public lands. I have no brand loyalty which people seem to get all butt hurt when someone tells them why they may have bought the wrong thing.

below is the size of pack that would interest most. a 3400 and 4000 size. I have to ask how in the hell is this different from a duffle bag? there isn't one pocket on the pack. its all fishing stuff out of a duffle bag. most the rest of their packs are similar. its a glorifed army ruck sack [Linked Image]

might as well just carry this for a pack [Linked Image]

You can't lump all their packs into your duffel bag concept, and your not the only person here who actually hunts and uses your gear, the reason Kifaru offers options is to let the user set up the pack to his liking...what a concept!

Post some pics of your amazing gear...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're a rare kind of stupid.

You hunt and hike on western public lands? The rest of us only live here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn that must be badass to hunt and hike on public western lands!! Color me jealous.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many animals have you hauled out of the boonies in a Kifaru pack in the past few years?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.