Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've hunted all my life, but never elk.
Planning to start this year (rifle hunting.)
If you've got a bull within, say, 100 yards and it is on the move, what do you experienced guys do to get it to stop for a look so that you can take a shot? Or do you just hope it cooperates?

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cow calls, coyote howl, if nothing, then just start yelling!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of mine, shot at 42 paces, I bleated at him like a white tail. This year's bull I just whistled. Shot at 137 yards.

Last edited by Bbear; 01/30/17.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you shout (maw) at deer that are running away they will stop sometimes and come back.

It might work with other animals.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I said "Hey" to a bull at 36 FEET this year to get him to stop....He is in my freezer!!!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A nervous grunt. Go to WapitiTalk.com to learn about it. Probably the very best elk hunting forum on the internet. Fellow on there called Elknut( Paul) has spent many years studying elk language. A lot of good info there.Mostly archers, but generally a good bunch of guys without the drama of the Campfire

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Bugle at him. They stop in their tracks. Watched 100 elk moving single file thru the timber at 300 yards. My guide bugled when the 6x7 stepped into an opening. The whole herd stopped and looked to see where the other bull was. 99 then continued up the trail.
I've seen a 6x6 bull stop, get shot, stop again, get shot a second time, stop and look for the third time and go down after the third hit.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
Bugle at him. They stop in their tracks. Watched 100 elk moving single file thru the timber at 300 yards. My guide bugled when the 6x7 stepped into an opening. The whole herd stopped and looked to see where the other bull was. 99 then continued up the trail.
I've seen a 6x6 bull stop, get shot, stop again, get shot a second time, stop and look for the third time and go down after the third hit.

I don't dispute that at all. Elk don't follow rules very well.However,if in rut and a bull has his harem gathered up, he n is more likely to move those cows off instead of wanting to fight. Depending on the time of the year,pre rut, rut or post rut or way past rut, a different call is needed . There is no one right answer to fit all occasions. A soft mew, lost cow call might be just as effective.

At other times the herd will stop as mentioned,but it's a big gamble. A short one or two note bugle with no challenge in it is more likely to stop them. A nervous grunt is sort of like a longer bark,but with a different ending. It can be done with the mouth and no call .It also depends on how much hunter pressure the elk has seen and how many people have been running around the woods tooting without knowing what they are doing.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 200gr .308 partition stops them nicely.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just shoot it!!!!!

This ain't archery hunting..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkchsr
A 200gr .308 partition stops them nicely.

There you go. Everything a guy needs to know right there.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On the move is one thing. Fleeing is another!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've noticed crosshairs on the point of the shoulder and a smooth trigger squeeze has stopped them pretty well, though I recommend repeating that until they have hit the ground and stopped moving.

I've never filmed my hunts and needed a better camera angle for a bullet to work. With archery gear the cow or other noise would be well worth a try.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I always try to get them to stop first.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cow calls work best in my experience, if it's just walking. Once they start to go you better get a lane on 'em.

If they don't know you're there almost anything will work.

Last edited by huntinaz; 01/31/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Judge the situation carefully. If they don't know you are there and they aren't about to go out of sight than shut your mouth and just wait and be ready to shoot without taking all day once you have the shot.

Actually the not taking all day to shoot applies even more if you have to stop them. Drives me crazy when guys sit there all day trying to shoot. Almost as much as when they don't automatically reload and get ready to shoot again.

If they don't know you are there than I agree with huntinaz, just about anything.

But even if they don't know you are there if they are chasing a hot cow it can be pretty tough. I almost always try a cow call first.

If they know you are there than good luck, just depends on how spooked they really are. If they've gotten a nose full of your scent than you'll be dang lucky if you can stop them within range.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/31/17.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Cow call.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have stopped a small herd (15-18) with a cow call.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Just shoot it!!!!!

This ain't archery hunting..........

Aim for that little brown spot in the middle of their butt grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what got them moving. If they are exiting due to my presence then I simply hope they stop for a look.

If they're not on to me, about any single sound should work.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.