Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Over the years i have collected different batches of lead. Some from my castings from years ago, my dads round balls from muzzle loaders and 25# of #6 bird shot. I have my old molds for .357 and .45 and am thinking that whatever the hardness it turns out it should be OK. Any thoughts from you guys?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For run of the mill pistol bullets, yes, probably. Cast some ingots and test for hardness and go from there. But, that's like saying "If I had two apples and you gave me two oranges, how many pears would I have?" We would need a helluva lot more info before making a cogent prediction as to the utility of an alloy made up of your odds and ends. Ie: What kind of shot, what are your old casting alloys, did your dad use pure lead for his roundballs or did he use anything he laid his hands on, etc. etc.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
For run of the mill pistol bullets, yes, probably. Cast some ingots and test for hardness and go from there. But, that's like saying "If I had two apples and you gave me two oranges, how many pears would I have?" We would need a helluva lot more info before making a cogent prediction as to the utility of an alloy made up of your odds and ends. Ie: What kind of shot, what are your old casting alloys, did your dad use pure lead for his roundballs or did he use anything he laid his hands on, etc. etc.

Excellent post and spot on!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Gnohhh,
Very good points. I really don't know what dad used but melting all of it together and sending them down the barrel will be the test. I Don't think I am going to get back into casting that much. This is just some stuff I want to get rid of and figured this is the best way.

W. Bill

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
as expensive as shot is these days,
i'd find a buyer for it

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's magnum shot it will help harden up his alloy. I'd use it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It's just a bag of #6 shot that has been around for I don't know how many years. I mostly use it for forming my leather holsters. Probably just keep it for that reason only.

W. Bill

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i never did anything about it, but there use to be a guy down by douglas that had a business cleaning trap/skeet ranges.
you could buy a 50gallon drum of shot.
i often thought of doing that to get some of the hard shot with the stuff in it to harden my cast bullets. But getting a 50gallon drum in and out of my truck, and when would i ever use all of it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They do make hardness test devices for lead, senco IIRC

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have good luck with the lee hardness tester and it's pretty affordable.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the pencil hardness testing method. It's very affordable.
Covered in detail on the Cast Boolits Forum.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I acquire lead of different types, my approach is to first melt the lead of each type in a smelting pot and flux then pour the cleaned up metal from the different batches into ingots.

I segregate the pure lead from range lead from linotype from wheel weights. Then I use a stamp to mark them as they will inevitable get moved around and mixed.

Then I can easily mix up a batch of a known alloy using the exact number of ingots of various types.

It's good to have some pure lead around and the lino separate.

Any scrap lead will work for 45 and moderate 357 loads. Hotter 357 will need a more controlled alloy.

If you use the shot for holster forming, keeping it as shot would seem to make more sense.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.