Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A month ago a graybeard at the range was shooting an A17 and did not know the trajectory. I pointed out that the information may be on the box and I would shoot it over the chrony to see how close it was to reality.

I fired three shots at 200 and I was quite surprised, a perfect 3/4" group. That was my first and only experience with any 17 and it gave me the bug.

Right now I have a Single Six convertible and a few boxes of CCI WMR, I expect that far more 22 LR will be fired than WMR. I bought a Predator WMR from SAS but sold it due to the WMR shortage and picked up a RAR 22 LR threaded Compact.

I searched Midway this morning for the Hornady 30gr WMR and noticed 2 out of 25 options were on hand, both CCI so I figure the shortage is still an issue.

I want another RAR compact, maybe two but one for now.

The purchase has nothing to do with need, just a want.

What do ya'll suggest, WMR or HMR?

Dave

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just me, but the only .17 I shoot is the Rem. 17 centerfire..

I've had a number of customers come in with issues re: the .17 HMR ignition; too many duds.. I hope the ammo-makers have fixed THAT.

Part of your answer may ride with what you're using it for. Small varmints at closer ranges? P-dogs? Calling in Fox/Coyotes?

Also - what ammo is plentiful there? .22WMR has been truly scarce for some time, although S&G had a hundred+ boxes of one type a few days ago. ( http://www.sgammo.com/product/22-ma...ter-30-grain-v-max-ammo-s22m2pt-limit-20 )

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
On the other hand, I've been shooting the .17 HMR from a CZ 452 since 2003. Cannot remember a dud round, but have experienced a bunch of FTF's with various .22 rimfires in that time.. And I shoot the CZ considerably on ground squirrels and prairie dogs every year.

For such varminting it's about ideal, and it works all right on somewhat larger varmints too, up to about 10 pounds. But I still prefer the .22 Magnum for those, and they don't use up nearly as much ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 17 HMR is a far more accurate round, but I prefer the WMR for hunting anything larger than squirrels.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Better bullets in the HMR and more accurate.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
RDW: No question - go with the 17 HMR!
I have now killed three Coyotes with my 17 HMR's all with one shot apiece!
I have also killed Wild Turkey, Badgers, Fox, large Rock Chucks and large Porcupines with the 17 HMR along with all manor of smaller game and Varmints.
I have used 22 Magnums in all varieties for decades and began using the 17 HMR in 2,003 - the 17 HMR is more lethal and more accurate for me.
Plus the trajectory is better in the 17 HMR out to the ranges I shoot Ground Squirrels and prairie Dogs with them anyway.
The 17 HMR (A17!) is a VERY impressive rimfire cartridge!
Try one I am sure you'll like it.
By the way how was the velocity of that A17 ammo?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
17 HMR for me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would not hesitate to go .17 HMR.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like both.. Haven't shot the 17that much. Killed a big jack with it tonight.. Good job.. I didn't have mine for last years gopher shooting, but killed quite a few p. dogs with it.. I feel the 40 gr. 22mag has a bit more thump on dogs, but the 17 killed well.

Molon Labe
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was leaning towards the HMR based on WMR availability. I am buying WMR as I find it but I bet buying a case of HMR would not be a problem today.

VG, not one of the three rounds registered on the chrony.

Dave

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Hang_fires_with_Hornady_17HMR_#UNREAD

Note that the ammo he used was about 5 yrs old.. IIRC, it was about then and for a time after that I had noted ignition issues with the .17 HMR.. Roughly 20% would FTF.

I'm hoping (but have zero knowledge of) that the manufacturers of the ammo have solved that problem..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a bunch or rifles chambered in both the 17 HMR and 22 WMR.

The 17 is definitely the more accurate of the two. It shoots flatter and bucks the wind better as well. The downside is the 17 is a bit much for edible small game and not nearly as a reliable killer for varmints much over 10 pounds. One time a groundhog or raccoon will drop like rock, the next time they shake it off and run. The 17 hmr is just about perfect for ground squirrels and prairie dogs though, I think.

The 22 mag is a shorter range proposition but anchors bigger varmints with more authority than the 17 out to 125 yards or so.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That pretty much sums it up

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dude270
I have owned a bunch or rifles chambered in both the 17 HMR and 22 WMR.

The 17 is definitely the more accurate of the two. It shoots flatter and bucks the wind better as well. The downside is the 17 is a bit much for edible small game and not nearly as a reliable killer for varmints much over 10 pounds. One time a groundhog or raccoon will drop like rock, the next time they shake it off and run. The 17 hmr is just about perfect for ground squirrels and prairie dogs though, I think.

The 22 mag is a shorter range proposition but anchors bigger varmints with more authority than the 17 out to 125 yards or so.

+2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Timbo
The 17 HMR is a far more accurate round, but I prefer the WMR for hunting anything larger than squirrels.

Same experience here. For yotes a 40-50gr JHP beats a 17-20gr every time

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RDW,

This is a side issue: I'm guessing is you were using an actual Shooting Chrony, and not using "chrony" as a generic term for chronograph, as so many do these days. Shooting Chronys are notorious for "missing" shots, especially with smaller calibers--one reason I haven't owned one in years. I cannot remember any of my other chronographs (including Oehler, ProChrono or Magnetospeed) missing a .17 caliber bullet.

One other thing about .17 HMR's: I've yet to encounter any ammo that wasn't accurate in my CZ, and the same is true of everybody else I know that owns any brand of .17 HMR. Not saying it can't happen, but the odds are low. This isn't true of .22 Magnums: Many only prefer a couple specific types of ammo, and those brands may not be the one you find. It took me quite a while to find a .22 Magnum rifle that shoots just about any ammunition reasonably accurately, but even then it doesn't shoot as well as my .17 HMR with ANY ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My Annie .17 HMR is super accurate, CCI, TNT's shooting best. Even with other ammo it's still sub MOA, mostly near half MOA.

IME, the .22 WMR generally won't group with the .17 HMR. But, in my case, it's a .22 WMR "T" bolt against a 1717 Annie, probably not a level playing field.

The .17 HMR uses center fire type bullets, the .22 WMR uses rimfire type bullets. That may make a difference.

The .17 HMR wins on LR, the .22 WMR has more whallop on bigger critters. The .17 HMR with FMJ bullets, however, is a pretty good hog killer, better than one would think. You can get FMJ .22 WMR ammo, too. Haven't tried those on hogs, yet...

DF

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a great little round for the gray fox here in Arizona.

Fun little jack rabbit gun too.

Originally Posted by Redneck

I've had a number of customers come in with issues re: the .17 HMR ignition; too many duds.. I hope the ammo-makers have fixed THAT.

I've never had a single issue with a failure to fire.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer, it's a Pro Chronograph and did begin to act up recently, something is loose inside, the case may be glued together and I have not had time to cut it apart to make the repair.

I will probably buy both with the HMR first picking up WMR ammo as it becomes available. The RAR is cheap and threaded, I have the money and love to shoot even if I don't have a lot of time.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a huge .22 WMR guy. With that said, go with the .17 HMR. It's more fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.