24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice, extra good from BC30Cal and Mule Deer.

I'd take a DeLorme InReach and a camera rather than a cell phone in the bush. 'Course I already have the InReach. It has worked all over BC for me, direct satellite text messages. No cell phone service in a LOT of BC.

Ask the outfitter but I might take along a packable fishing rod. All work and no play...

Three ways to start a fire, on your person, is an always for me anytime I step off of the road here in BC.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
For a bag; MEC in Canada has always sold Duck Down bags at really good prices. I prefer a wide mummy style and this fits the bill.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-540/Draco-Wide--9C-Sleeping-Bag

I'd ditch the light weight rain-gear and rock some good old Impertech by Helly Hensen on a horse hunt. It will last a bit longer and will turn the rain.

If your rifle has open sights, I'd sight it in with them and forget about an extra scope. If not I'd bring a 2.5 or 3X fixed with thick cross-hairs or Post as an extra or even a primary scope. Burris steel Z rings are hard to beat.

Last edited by North61; 03/27/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We bought a down filled bag from MEC for my wife 6 years ago similar to the one in the link but a bit more room in the foot area. The honest truth it is every bit as good as my goose down bag that cost twice as much. I'm a fan of the Burris Zee rings as well.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I know I am 8 months out, but this is a big trip for me and I like to plan so I wanted to get your guys feedback on my anticipated gear list. The list below is the general list the outfitter sent me and next to it is the specific I item I plan on taking. There are a few items I am not decided on yet and would love suggestions for those items particularly.

Also, and maybe more importantly, the hunt has changed a bit, at the last second before mailing my deposit, I decided to go with another outfit - Gunson Outfitting, which is on the far Northern BC/Yukon border. This is more of a true "trophy" hunt with better chance at a 50+" moose. It is also a Horseback Hunt that will put me in the remote wilderness for 10 days.

Rifle - Custom Winchester 70 Classic 338 win mag, Zeiss HD5 2-10X42
Ammo - Handloads - 250gr. Nosler Partitions, 40 rounds

Binoculars - 10x42 Leica Geovid HD
Knife - Cabelas Fixed Blade Alaskan Guide, and Havalon for caping
GPS - Garmin 650, not required but I always take into the woods
Camera - Iphone
Day Pack - KUIU 3200"
Water Bottle (Purified) - NOT SURE???
Head Lamps - Cabelas
10 degree sleeping bag - Not SURE???
Sleeping Pad - Cabelas Instict - insulated
Rain Gear - KUIU Teton, Pants/Jacket
Boots - Meindel Denali
Socks - Merino Wool
Clothes - KUIU Teton Full Layering System, merino wool underwear
Gloves - kuiu merino 210

Mosquito Repellent, personal care items, and possibly a lightweight tripod to mount optics on.

All my gear including my rifle has to be 50 pounds or under.

I'm subscribed to your Canadian trip, definitely on my bucket list of things to do! Since you changed directions on your 338 what rifle and scope are you taking?

I know the Mountain Hardware sleeping bags get good reviews online and from some members on the forum that I would trust. Their prices are pretty close to what you are wanting to spend.

https://www.rei.com/product/894805/mountain-hardwear-lamina-z-blaze-15-sleeping-bag

Aquamira drops are pretty easy to pack and might solve your water purification needs. I usually pack a small pump with Aquarmira as a back up. Some people really like the steripen as another option.

Andy

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by aheider
I know I am 8 months out, but this is a big trip for me and I like to plan so I wanted to get your guys feedback on my anticipated gear list. The list below is the general list the outfitter sent me and next to it is the specific I item I plan on taking. There are a few items I am not decided on yet and would love suggestions for those items particularly.

Also, and maybe more importantly, the hunt has changed a bit, at the last second before mailing my deposit, I decided to go with another outfit - Gunson Outfitting, which is on the far Northern BC/Yukon border. This is more of a true "trophy" hunt with better chance at a 50+" moose. It is also a Horseback Hunt that will put me in the remote wilderness for 10 days.

Rifle - Custom Winchester 70 Classic 338 win mag, Zeiss HD5 2-10X42
Ammo - Handloads - 250gr. Nosler Partitions, 40 rounds

Binoculars - 10x42 Leica Geovid HD
Knife - Cabelas Fixed Blade Alaskan Guide, and Havalon for caping
GPS - Garmin 650, not required but I always take into the woods
Camera - Iphone
Day Pack - KUIU 3200"
Water Bottle (Purified) - NOT SURE???
Head Lamps - Cabelas
10 degree sleeping bag - Not SURE???
Sleeping Pad - Cabelas Instict - insulated
Rain Gear - KUIU Teton, Pants/Jacket
Boots - Meindel Denali
Socks - Merino Wool
Clothes - KUIU Teton Full Layering System, merino wool underwear
Gloves - kuiu merino 210

Mosquito Repellent, personal care items, and possibly a lightweight tripod to mount optics on.

All my gear including my rifle has to be 50 pounds or under.

I'm subscribed to your Canadian trip, definitely on my bucket list of things to do! Since you changed directions on your 338 what rifle and scope are you taking?

I know the Mountain Hardware sleeping bags get good reviews online and from some members on the forum that I would trust. Their prices are pretty close to what you are wanting to spend.

https://www.rei.com/product/894805/mountain-hardwear-lamina-z-blaze-15-sleeping-bag

Aquamira drops are pretty easy to pack and might solve your water purification needs. I usually pack a small pump with Aquarmira as a back up. Some people really like the steripen as another option.

Andy

As far as the rifle goes, I actually think I am going to take my Winchester 70, 270 shooting Barnes Bullets. This rifle I know like the back of my hand. Its bomb proof, feeds and ejects everytime and puts bullets in the same spot as long as I do my part. I have had this rifle for close to 9 years and have harvested many animals with it.

Winchester 70 Stainless Supergrade Action
Timney Trigger
McMillan Edge Classic Stock
25" Shilen #3
Williams Bottom Metal
Talleys, with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

My main load has been with 130 grain TTSX bullets, but I may try to develop a load with 150 grain Barnes bullets for this hunt.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 04/18/17.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hard to argue with a proven rifle. I'm a huge 70 fan and run a .270 most of the time. With that being said if I were in your shoes I might take my Winchester classic 70 in 300 mag, but I'm sure your plan will work out fine.

I would probably try to keep the speed up on those Barnes and opt for the 130 over the 150. In a Partition I would take the 150 since moose is on the menu. But I've never killed one so my suggestion isn't worth much.

Sounds like the hunt is going to be awesome!

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several sleeping bags, and the one I choose during the moose season in the interior of Alaska is a military sleeping bag. The one I am referring to has an outer GoreTex bag that keeps the following bags dry (if you sleep on the snow or wet ground). The sleeping bag is comprised of two sleeping bags, a thin one you can use alone if warm at night, and a heavier sleeping bag (black color). If very cold at night, and you don't need to use the GoreTex liner, what you do is to unzip the heavier bag, then place the thin bag inside the heavier bag, then you get inside and zip the thin one, followed by the heavy one. They cost around $125.00 (slightly used).

But I would take it to a reliable dry cleaner's and have them washed professionally before use. Don't wash the GoreTex outer liner. It comes in a compression bag, so it won't be bulky.

The .270 is a good choice, and so the .338WM loaded with 225-grain TTS-X (that's what i use in Alaska).

Last edited by Ray; 04/18/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You will be very sorry taking a 270 Winchester on a trophy moose hunt, especially when you have a 338wm in a great configuration that will handle any critter you encounter with ease.

I'm with John, talley quick detach mounts and a secondary scope is critical on a hunt such as yours. Id also recommend the best lightweight wool socks you can possibly afford, along with a flask of high quality whisky to celebrate you hunt.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 04/18/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 Win is plenty for moose, I would skip the 150 gr TSX and stay with the 130 gr TTSX. If you want to use lead bullets the 150 and 160 gr Partition would be my choice.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A few items I always pack with me are a role of electrical tape. Keep that muzzle covered. Bulged barrels are a real possibility in northern Canada. A Bic lighter in case you have to make a fire. Matches, strikers and Zippos are useless once submerged but not a Bic lighter. Rubber bottomed, leather topped boots for wet snow such as those made by Lacrosse. Your all leather boots will give up in a matter of 2 hours in wet snow. Remember the Battle of the Bulge. It was cold wet feet that crippled or led to the deaths of so many brave men.Make sure you binos and scopes have lens covers that keep the lenses dry. Baby wipes and premium toilet paper are useful items that should not be overlooked.

GPS units are great but a 30 dollar compass does not need batteries. Make sure it has a lanyard and wear it around your neck. The toque you will be wearing should be made of wool with a thinsulate liner. Wind and water will not go through these.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know if this has been brought up, a basic first aid kit.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread. I will be following this closely. I am in the same game, same dates, just 65 miles SE of Laird River.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have officially decided to take my 375 H&H - Not that it really needed, but why else own one if your not going to use it on a 12-1500 pound animal.

This rifle is topped with a 2-7x33 VX-R with flash dot that should do great against a black moose hide. 250 Grain Barnes TTSX at 2800 fps.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 04/28/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on your trip to our province. I would take a scabbard to suit your rifle, felt pack boots, chinks or those vinyl rain chaps, loose fitting wool pants and suspenders. Get fit and ride as much as you can...yup ,one or two silk neckerchiefs are indispensable . Where your leather boots everywhere you go prior.Good luck

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have officially decided to take my 375 H&H - Not that it really needed, but why else own one if your not going to use it on a 12-1500 pound animal.

This rifle is topped with a 2-7x33 VX-R with flash dot that should do great against a black moose hide. 250 Grain Barnes TTSX at 2800 fps.

Now you're talking. I'm flinchy just thinking about it. grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One more thing, don't forget to take to bring along a good attitude, when things go sour, you still have your attitude.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .270 is fine. It is beautiful country up that way. Keep in mind that it can get quite cold up that way by mid-September. Down is OK as long as you can keep it dry. If you like down and want to go that route take a look at Taiga. They are made in Canada and have some really top notch stuff:
https://www.taigaworks.ca/Sleeping-Bags-c7

Those prices are in Canadian $ so don't get sticker shock when you look at the page!

There are lots of great fishing streams in that area too.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Depending on where you hunt Muck Boots may be needed. On my first hunt I took them and never needed them. Last year that was all that I wore. Leather boots wouldn't have survived the first day in the cold/wet environment. Check with your outfitter, they should know if you will need them.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by North61
For a bag; MEC in Canada has always sold Duck Down bags at really good prices. I prefer a wide mummy style and this fits the bill.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-540/Draco-Wide--9C-Sleeping-Bag

I'd ditch the light weight rain-gear and rock some good old Impertech by Helly Hensen on a horse hunt. It will last a bit longer and will turn the rain.

If your rifle has open sights, I'd sight it in with them and forget about an extra scope. If not I'd bring a 2.5 or 3X fixed with thick cross-hairs or Post as an extra or even a primary scope. Burris steel Z rings are hard to beat.

for sure if you can fit in there is room for me (nothing bad mouthing intended here ..) . are you using the l or XL?

what about the room for the feet?

thanks a l lot.

Phil

Last edited by yukonphil; 06/06/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
475 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.