Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I want to go on a sheep hunt but don't know if I can handle it. Have never been on a backpack hunt. Never owned a backpack.
Age 67
Bodyfat 12% weight 180. Resting HR 52.
Have been doing CrossFit for 6.5 years. Placed about 55 in CF open (scaled) two years ago. Will likely be same this year.
Dead 285#, backsquat 225#, press 112.5#. Do CF 3-4x weekly.
I also do a dedicated strength routine 3x weekly.

Knees hips ankles and back 100%. No ROM limitations. Can do full squat and maintain form. Hip crease below knees.
No orthopaedic limitations.
Never done a backpack trip and am intimidated by the idea of it.
Do you think I can do it and what can I do to get ready.
Yukon or NWT sheep hunt. Carry 40# plus rifle.
Your input appreciated.
At SCI and need to make a decision. Feel like a 14 yo going on a first date.
Thanks.

Last edited by RinB; 01/31/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't guide for sheep but did guide for goats and a surprising amount of hunters were older guys. If you are in good shape I can't see why not. More than likely you will be slower than a younger guy and hike less but you will glass a lot more which is even better. I have been on a bunch of hunts for Stone's sheep and if you are in good sheep country you will see rams eventually, make your move when you spot the one you want and let the young guys run all over the countryside.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do it now. Find a good outfitter and take it from there. Worst case is, you'll find out you weren't up to it. It'll be a hell of an experience regardless. And at least you tried. If you don't, you'll never know.

Last edited by smokepole; 01/31/17.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More important than your physical conditions right now is your mental toughness- that is; do you have the mental fortitude to prepare yourself for a hunt like that, and then actually go on one.

I guess my point is; Mind fails way before body, in my experience on backpack sheep hunts. I say go for it.

Tanner

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes. Do it now.

However, don't make that your first backpack hunt. Start backpacking in your home state.

Tomorrow start buying your gear. I'll send you a list but start with the following items; backpack, sleeping bag, mattress, tent, layered clothing system appropriate to the anticipated weather conditions.

Once you get your gear then start backpacking locally. Make all your mistakes where mistakes don't cost you your life, and learn from them. Take those lessons with you on your sheep hunt.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd agree with Tanner, mental toughness is preeminent. If you've never climbed/backpacked/lived out of a tent for any length of time it can be a shock to the system, no matter how fit you are. But if the "want" is there, you'll do just fine!

Having said that, you sound very fit (though we'd likely disagree on the crossfit approach at your age!). I'd go for it. Time waits for no one.

I wouldn't start buying gear tomorrow... I'd go a little slower than that. Get a bit of education, ask a lot of questions, and accumulate it over time. You've got time before August.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you'd like a gear list for a backpack sheep hunt I will gladly post mine or contribute to one, but I wouldn't start buying gear tomorrow either. Talk with some outfitters and ask a lot of questions like Brad said... I bet you will come away feeling 10x more confident in the idea of it.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RinB,

You can do a quality sheep hunt. I flew in for my last sheep hunt but I was 69 and just 90 days out of the Alaska Heart Institute.

You don't have to be a racehorse nor cover 20 miles a day. As mentioned above backpacking near home. Trapped in a tiny tent for a three day storm is often more of a test than the hiking.

Besides testing your gear, try all the various Mountain House foods to find your favorites. We find that sharing a MH several times a day is better than trying to eat an entire package alone.

For Dall Sheep I carry a white Tyvek suit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your hearts in it, absolutely go for it. As has been mentioned mental toughness is really more important than anything. Sounds like you're plenty fit enough. Outfitter selection is going to be important. Sheep hunts can vary from long tedious approaches on foot to flying in with a helicopter and everything in between. Since you're looking at NWT and Yukon I believe you can use a helo in either place. Some areas are also going to be much more rugged than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RinB : almost exactly like you. I do an aerobic/ weights/ core program 5-6 x week. All I know is last year at 64 yo I boned and packed a 6x6 bull 3/4 mile uphill at 6900' elev... it hammered me. But I expect to do the same or better at 70

I don't believe your weights pressed means [bleep]. If you want to do it you will.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RinB

Have been doing CrossFit for 6.5 years. Placed about 55 in CF open (scaled) two years ago. Will likely be same this year.

Knees hips ankles and back 100%. No ROM limitations.

Hell, by the numbers you've got me beat, and I do this every year. The pain of CrossFit has to help with the mental toughness. Don't delay, and let us know how we can help.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you have the physical abilities and mental toughness, do it as soon as you can.
Sheep hunts aren't getting any cheaper - in fact licenses and tags in Alaska double this year. We all have a finite amount of sand in the hourglass and gravity is constant.
Get out there with your .270 Win.!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Go for it! Though you would be wise to start doing more endurance work IMO. Hiking hills with a weighted pack, running, cycling,etc. Also, if you don't have quality, well fitting boots, find what works for you and start wearing them ASAP. All the fitness in the world doesn't mean squat if your feet are f^cked.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Bob would probably tell you to go for it, I suspect.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Talk to Paul Claus at Ultima Thule Outfitters. Ask him about McColl Ridge. He isn't cheap but he'll gittr done.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Go for it. You won't be younger next year. I hunted with a 65 year old partner once...we got him a ram on a do it yourself hunt.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Rin, I say do it as well.
Years ago a dear friend (who was 67) and I did a hunt in the Brooks Range, he had just had stints put in and had bad lungs from too many years of mushing/climbing in very cold temps. True we were caribou hunting but did a lot of up and down at pretty good elevations and that can be pretty tuff country.
We had a great time and he did fine.
Plus you're talking about a sheep hunt, you gotta go!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
If you'd like a gear list for a backpack sheep hunt I will gladly post mine or contribute to one, but I wouldn't start buying gear tomorrow either. Talk with some outfitters and ask a lot of questions like Brad said... I bet you will come away feeling 10x more confident in the idea of it.

Tanner

Please post your list.

As others have said; Go!

Tanner is spot-on with the mind failing before the body. I constantly preach to the football players I coach, "Train your mind and your ass will follow."

Tanner can advise you of some great exercises that will prepare you for climbing. I realize I'm putting him "on the spot", but he's an excellent source of information; use it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A fishing friend of mine went on a Dall hunt many years ago. He was 70 pounds overweight, smoked, drank (a lot) No exercise. He was maybe 50.

He said when the outfitter saw him, he just shook his head. It was all on foot. He had to walk up a mountain every morning for 3 hours and down every night.

On the 5th trip to the top of the mountain, he killed a nice Sheep. The outfitter couldn't believe the guy made the trip up the mountain so many times (He even lost most of his toenails).

Hoe did he do it? Simple really. This guy had more guts than you could hang on a fence. Pure willpower. Mind over matter (or mind over bad physical condition in this case).

He was also a great Bass fisherman!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Will Power is just Want Power.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2

Hell, by the numbers you've got me beat, and I do this every year. The pain of CrossFit has to help with the mental toughness. Don't delay, and let us know how we can help.

And practice sleeping in caves.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
most guides recommend you be able to press at least 120. And how about your cleans? no mention of that. My grandpa cleans his garage 3-4 times per week and he's nowhere near fit enough for a sheep hunt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by cwh2

And practice sleeping in caves.

It's so easy a cave man can do it?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It was a cwh2 signature move one season.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, he does kind of look like the guy on the GEICO commercials.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys know I can hear you, right?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So can the guy from the GEICO commercials and he's pissed...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
shhhh

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, you can! Just do it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To the OP, you are in better shape than many sheep hunters. Just book a hunt and get some experience backpacking on weekend trips etc. while you wait for your hunt date to arrive.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn you have better fitness numbers than most the firefighters at my station! Physically you are vert able to do it.

My dad did a backpack elk hunt with me in Nevada last year at 71 and damnit if he wasn't out hiking me, and I make a living walking around with an extra 100 pounds on. He is fit and always active and tough as hell so you should have no problem.....if your mind is right.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think you will be fine, just spend a bunch of time out in the steeps if you can.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
RinB,

I hope you pulled the trigger because I believe from a physical perspective you most certainly can do it. And from everything else I've heard, there's no reason not to.

I haven't done serious sheep hunting in many years, but I've got a couple Dalls hanging on the wall. Last year's desert sheep in NV was a much easier gig. I'm just down the road (Mountain Home) and in your city most every week so if you'd like to chat, please shoot me a PM.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.