-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
87k Offline OP
OP Offline
Just posted a thread for Christiansen arms rifle as an option but I want some thoughts on this. Does anyone ever do a custom build on a Tikka? I have been doing some reading on these rifles. There are relatively inexpensive and it seems like you get a lot for your money. I also went to Sportsmens to check them out and man do they have a smooth action. I was thinking at a $600 starting price point and a great action and trigger it seems like a guy could get a lot for $2000 build.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tikkas are so good you dontcha need to....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ive shot so many sub 2" 500 yd groups with a stock tikka I've lost count. Mount a scope and go hunt

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There have been some builds on LRHunting website -they don't do any machining on the action from what I remember , appears the machining was done right the first time .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot all my Tikkas to 700-800 yards with factory barrels.

Not sure how long you are discussing...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Trystan
Ive shot so many sub 2" 500 yd groups with a stock tikka I've lost count. Mount a scope and go hunt

Trystan

I'd love to hear the details on the sweet Tikka "shooting system(s)" capable of those sub-1/2 MOA 500 yard groups....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If all you need is an action, check with SAS. He's clearing out the old T3 models. $350-$400 for CMand $450 for SS.

Tikkas has relatively short mags in stock format. Eric over at ES tactical does a lot of Tikka builds. He has a nice offer if you like chassis. You supply the action and he supplies KRG chassis, labor and parts for $1450.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Trystan

I'd love to hear the details on the sweet Tikka "shooting system(s)" capable of those sub-1/2 MOA 500 yard groups....

X2! Cannot wait to hear it

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
If all you need is an action, check with SAS. He's clearing out the old T3 models. $350-$400 for CMand $450 for SS.

Tikkas has relatively short mags in stock format. Eric over at ES tactical does a lot of Tikka builds. He has a nice offer if you like chassis. You supply the action and he supplies KRG chassis, labor and parts for $1450.

they gone. i bought the last one

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Trystan

It can't be that hard to count to zero, even for you...

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would counting to zero even be considered counting?

Can I get a ruling Mathman?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Tikka 6.5X55 swede
SWFA fixed 6 MQ
Warn Steel 30mm rings
Lapua brass
Hornady 143 eld-x
47 gr. Reloader 17
CCI 200 primer

Ammo loaded to less than .001 run out
COAL 3.182
.005 off the lands

I'm thinking GregW has likely seen some of what I'm talking about

Good luck

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Trystan

Tikka 6.5X55 swede
SWFA fixed 6 MQ
Warn Steel 30mm rings
Lapua brass
Hornady 143 eld-x
47 gr. Reloader 17
CCI 200 primer

COAL 3.182
.005 off the lands

Good luck

Trystan

Too many sub 2" groups to count at 500.... with a 6x scope... on a sporter weight gun.... it's getting deep.

What's the first rule of holes?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Tikka 6.5X55 swede
SWFA fixed 6 MQ
Warn Steel 30mm rings
Lapua brass
Hornady 143 eld-x
47 gr. Reloader 17
CCI 200 primer

COAL 3.182
.005 off the lands

Good luck

Trystan

Too many sub 2" groups to count at 500.... with a 6x scope... on a sporter weight gun.... it's getting deep.

If you really think a fixed 6 won't perform at the 500 yd line then you don't know what you think you don't know! I'm not even close to the first person to do this with a "sporter weight" rifle.

The rifle, scope, brass, bullet, etc combination will do it "IF" the shooter is capable.

The new hornady bullets IMO are some of the most accurate bullets I've ever used

I'm impressed! Apparently your not! Good for you!

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/03/17.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Keep digging bro... laffin....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Keep digging bro... laffin....

Good for you!

Trystan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
🍿

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsonora
🍿

Pass me some please.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
🍿

Pass me some please.

While you're eating some take a look at this. Trystan has come so far in under 4 months...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11512294/Think_I'll_give_it_a_go!_Advic#Post11512294

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
🍿

Pass me some please.

While you're eating some take a look at this. Trystan has come so far in under 4 months...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11512294/Think_I'll_give_it_a_go!_Advic#Post11512294

Some guy on Facebook said he killed an 808lb cow elk dressed, then couldn't find the pictures of it..

Same guy?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Come on everyone knows those are the cows that had a yearling behind them and they were included in the shot too.

I can hit the 500 yard 16" steel at 6x on a calm day from a hunting style rest but sub 2" isn't in the cards for me there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I for one am not going to challenge the integrity or veracity of someone until it is proved otherwise that what they say is false. I don't know how we do that. I do know that I consider myself a good shot and, though my equipment may be capable, I am completely incapable of such accuracy. I will only go so far as to say that that is some extremely good shooting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
🍿

Pass me some please.

Huntsonora,

Do you really think that just because I asked a question and am new to "THIS" forum it means my last 43 years of hunting and shooting don't exist. Life sir!!! does not begin nor end with "24 hour campfire"

Perhaps you should read the "ENTIRE" thread "AGAIN" only more slowly. Maybe you will find the part where I mention my useing hornady and berger bullets for many years interesting

Asking questions is smart. Making assumptions is unintelligent at best.

Tristan is new to "24 hour campfire" and asked a question about a rifle for shooting antelope therefore his 43 years before 24 hour campfire don't exist.

Give me a break. The pathetically ridiculous assuming around this place is at an all time high. Certainly not the kind of folks "Ive" been around for a lifetime that "doesn't exist" because it wasn't lived on an internet forum

An intelligent person could settle this debate with a simple....I'm willing to take the time if your willing to show me.

Enjoy your popcorn 😉

Trystan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
🍿

Pass me some please.

Huntsonora,

Do you really think that just because I asked a question and am new to "THIS" forum it means my last 43 years of hunting and shooting don't exist. Life sir!!! does not begin nor end with "24 hour campfire"

Perhaps you should read the "ENTIRE" thread "AGAIN" only more slowly. Maybe you will find the part where I mention my useing hornady and berger bullets for many years interesting

Asking questions is smart. Making assumptions is unintelligent at best.

Tristan is new to "24 hour campfire" and asked a question about a rifle for shooting antelope therefore his 43 years before 24 hour campfire don't exist.

Give me a break. The pathetically ridiculous assuming around this place is at an all time high. Certainly not the kind of folks "Ive" been around for a lifetime that "doesn't exist" because it wasn't lived on an internet forum

Enjoy your popcorn 😉

Trystan

So, is it Trystan or Tristan or Trithtan or Take a Knee?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not "assuming" anything.... I'm straight up calling Bull Schitt.

How the Phuuk do you know the rediculoisness is at an all time high... you've been here five minutes. This place can get WAY more pathetic and ridiculous... wait till 'flave shows up on this thread....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Trystan

Tikka 6.5X55 swede
SWFA fixed 6 MQ
Warn Steel 30mm rings
Lapua brass
Hornady 143 eld-x
47 gr. Reloader 17
CCI 200 primer

COAL 3.182
.005 off the lands

Good luck

Trystan

If you really think a fixed 6 won't perform at the 500 yd line then you don't know what you think you don't know! I'm not even close to the first person to do this with a "sporter weight" rifle.

The rifle, scope, brass, bullet, etc combination will do it "IF" the shooter is capable.

The new hornady bullets IMO are some of the most accurate bullets I've ever used

I'm impressed! Apparently your not! Good for you!

Trystan

Tibbe?

Is that you?

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I believe I said.....I'm willing to show any who are willing to take the time

Nothing wrong with calling Bullschit for sure. Calling Bullschit and at the same time not accepting an open offer....

Doesn't make sense

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I, for one, would like to take you up on that if at all feasible, not to call B.S.; but, I would like to see that type of shooting. That would be cool. You aren't by any chance close to Billings or Butte or Helena are you? I frequent all three.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe I said.....I'm willing to show any who are willing to take the time

Nothing wrong with calling Bullschit for sure. Calling Bullschit and at the same time not accepting an open offer....

Doesn't make sense

Trystan

I'd love to see it too... hell, I'll settle for a picture or a YouTube vid....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think we would all like to see it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not me. I totally believe him....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To bring this back to the question, I spent a couple of years attempting to build a long range rig with a Tikka with mixed results.

Mine was in 7 Mag and limited by the smaller OEM magazine size, shorter bbl and slower twist rate to throw the really heavy bullets that excel as long range shooters. It will shoot 140gr PTs in a .70MOA group on its worst day but is very erratic with anything heavier. My T3 was at the very end of the run prior to the T3x and was part of a group buy with co workers and those of us who got magnums have all found the same issues so it may have been a quality thing with that batch.

If I were to do another long range rig with a Tikka, I would definitely go the chassis route and see if I could find a longer GRS bbl on sale somewhere. People I have known to go that route are extremely pleased. For myself, I kind of got over the long range thing altogether.

87k Offline OP
OP Offline
Is everyone getting a little off course here? Haha

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Big Sky,

I'm in the Kalispell area. It would be a privilege to meet a fellow outdoorsman as you stated not to prove anything or call BS.

I hunt both Butte and Billings area

I'd much prefer to shoot groups in western Montana where the wind doesn't blow if possible 😀

I will be looking forward to meeting up and I wish you all the best in the meantime friend.

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I don't know when I will ever get up to Kalispell where the wind doesn't blow as much. I will have to settle for a video as recommended by Dogshooter above.

On another note and back on topic, as livefastjohnny stated above and quoted below, this is what I did on two Tikkas. They make for a very nice, stable, long range package.
Originally Posted by livefastjohnny
If I were to do another long range rig with a Tikka, I would definitely go the chassis route and see if I could find a longer GRS bbl on sale somewhere. People I have known to go that route are extremely pleased.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
bring beer, Flave

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A YouTube video it is then. I will post results in the near future. I will use 4 different rifles all in one session. I will conduct the test only once and if its a bad day so be it. I will simply title the thread "A day shooting at 500 yds" not intended as a pissing match or proving point. I will use a 223 tikka, a 270 tikka, a 6.5X55 tikka, and a Sako Finnbear. All 4 rifles completely factory with nothing more than trigger adjustment.

Popular request was for a YouTube video...I think I'd be a smuck if I didn't oblige.

Trystan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 87k

Sorry....

A guy could do a lot worse than a factory Tikka CTR in a chassis if you're breaking into the long range stuff... even if it's PRS/SRM type match shooting. You can go CTR, Chassis, SS 3-15, and have some dough left over from your initial $2k.

If building from the ground-up, full-on custom, I'd start with a Rem 700 (or a clone) action of appropriate length and go from there....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 87k

Sorry....

A guy could do a lot worse than a factory Tikka CTR in a chassis if you're breaking into the long range stuff... even if it's PRS/SRM type match shooting. You can go CTR, Chassis, SS 3-15, and have some dough left over from your initial $2k.

If building from the ground-up, full-on custom, I'd start with a Rem 700 (or a clone) action of appropriate length and go from there....

Good advice here. I would look at Dave's site and see if he had any 700 actions in stock they are a great deal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🍿

Pass me some please.

.......Tristan is new to "24 hour campfire" and asked a question about a rifle for shooting antelope therefore his 43 years before 24 hour campfire don't exist.

Trystan

You spelled your own name wrong.
Just sayin....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Close but no cigar. Shoulda laid off that 4 shot. 6x M8 of course.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There isn't a situation where I would choose to use a Rem 700 over a T3 anymore. The T3 action doesn't need to be squared, bolt handle doesn't need to be welded/screwed on, trigger is better, barrel is better, action is smoother.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful, you'll awake the natives.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
There isn't a situation where I would choose to use a Rem 700 over a T3 anymore. The T3 action doesn't need to be squared, bolt handle doesn't need to be welded/screwed on, trigger is better, barrel is better, action is smoother.

The Tikka 595/695 is/was the same way.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Close but no cigar. Shoulda laid off that 4 shot. 6x M8 of course.

So you've never actually done it... but you've come close... once. That'd be par for the course around here.

Pretty damn far sight from "too many to count"... but maybe there's an AutoSum function for that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I thought you were saying it couldn't be done. You being such a Tikka fan and all.

"Close but no cigar" means almost. Like you almost thought you were going to tell me something.

But I'm sure everyone is waiting to hear all about your stuff.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Oh, I thought you were saying it couldn't be done. You being such a Tikka fan and all.

"Close but no cigar" means almost. Like you almost thought you were going to tell me something.

But I'm sure everyone is waiting to hear all about your stuff.

You saying it can be done.... just not by you? Maybe by someone who's a little better shot than you.... because your picture above is Oh So Close.... it's only about 25% too large... but we don't want to get into that again... it might cost you $15 this time. "Close enough" seems to be your motto... and completely contrary to your sig-line....

I've shot a few groups in the sub-2" at 500 range... one of them on video, and it's posted on the YouTube channel... but I'm not the one spouting off about "too many to count"... with 6x glass.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider

The Tikka 595/695 is/was the same way.

Yep. I've got a 595 Master Sporter that is spectacular.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where did I say "too many to count"?

What rigging? Sporterweight Tikka 6x? Sub 2" and 1/2 MOA are different, no? 1/2 MOA suffice. Yeah, "25%". That's 1/2". At 500 yards. 505 to be exact. But it's 1/2". 1/2" on an off the rack "hunting" rifle. For hunting.

But fun to shoot. And it was a 30-06.

Maybe re-read the sig line. Kinda like a diminishing returns thing.

You loose $$ on Atlanta or something? Panties all in a wad today.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You didn't... Trythan did... then you chimed in with "I almost did it once"... well bully for you. I almost phuucked Ms. Colorado once... but alas, all I got was "close"... does that count?

That 1/2" is still 1/2"... I didn't make the criteria here... Trythan did... maybe you should be the one rereading this thread.

Nope... rig in the vid was a full-on custom 6.5x47 wearing a 5.5-22 Nightforce. That gun shot a lot of sub-MOA groups at 500... but only a few sub-2" groups... that's kinda the point.

You might run into a sub-2" 500 yard group here and there with a 6x glassed sporter... but they certainly ain't the norm.... especially for a guy who can't remember how to spell his own name, and has been shooting "long range" for about as long as the last Kardashian relationship lasted (again... not you). Kinda like me occasionally running into a nice shiney dime with flexible morals, low standards, and a little buzz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure, blind squirrel and the nut thing. How much $$ you think is wrapped up in your 6.5X47 custom?

That's kinda my point. Plus the schitty .460 BC Scenar loaded at granny gear.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It was a pricey rig... and only shot a CH better than the CTR (and was worse in the cold)... that's why it went down the road. We're making the same point about gear... just from different sides.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, who's up for a challenge?

500 yards
4x 3 shot groups
sporter weight rifle
6x scope
Winner gets to almost bang Ms. Colorado

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean

No need to bring Tanner into this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy schit that's funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by starsky

No need to bring Tanner into this.

Hahaha!

"almost"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy wears a dress for Halloween one time....

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lady Tan Tan....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Was it a girls dress?

DW

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Was it a girls dress?

DW

Laffin...

Trades?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Did you take any selfies in front of the Christmas tree while you had it on? We need a YouTube video......

DW

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So Tanner has to shoot his groups while wearing a dress? That'd add insult to injury.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who is going to be the big winner?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsonora; 02/06/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So has anyone ever wore a dress for Halloween?

DW

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dogshooter,

I very much appreciate you not boneing my girl 😀 I'm starting to believe were going to be friends...lol

So your CTR shot better in the cold than your Custom. That doesn't surprise me.

As for 2" 500 yd groups we are going to find out in about 2 weeks when I finish this job and get home. There's a reason I'm going to use 4 rifles and shoot 4 different groups. It will be to try to demonstrate that it can be a common occurrence. I'm going to guess at least 2 rifles will group under 2" I'm hoping 3 might. If the stars align maybe all 4. Could be I don't get any. I'm only shooting groups one time and posting so whatever they are so be it. Stay tuned.

PS: All rifles are shelf rifles. One rifle will be fired with the scope on 4 power with a non AO scope.

2 rifles will be fired on 9 power with non AO scopes.

1 rifle has a SWFA 6X42

If at least 2 rifles print under 2" I will write an explanation as to what I believe the important contributing factors were. If I don't get any 2" groups I guess I won't splain anything

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/06/17.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Chain smoking in anticipation for for your big day.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got an idea.

Shoot 4 groups per rifle. On the same page.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I got an idea.

Shoot 4 groups per rifle. On the same page.

I got a better idea. I will shoot all 1 shot groups grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
So has anyone ever wore a dress for Halloween?

DW

Yes. Chico sloshfest....it was glorious, until it wasn't

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this all works out I will be selling get all my rifles and replacing them with Tikka's and 6x scopes.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this is going to be a gathering I'd like to drive over from Idaho for it. Better yet, if Pat would make it part of Icebreaker 2017...?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's Tikka's only right? Since no other factory sporter is capable of such a feat.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just reloaded for a friend that did a 26 nosler on a tikka with a 26" benchmark and it's a great rig , I loaded the new 135 gr classic hunters at it shoots .75" groups at 200 and 3" groups at 500 yards. Velocity is 3405 fps. I've thought about a 28 on a tikka now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 87k
Does anyone ever do a custom build on a Tikka? It seems like a guy could get a lot for $2000 build.

I've built quite a few, including my 3 F-TR competition rifles.

I believe I can be credited with the customizing of the action, whereas the front of the receiver if faced off square, and my custom designed recoil lug is installed between the receiver and barrel. whistle

Here's one of them. I've been at it for awhile. wink
http://www.tikkashooters.com/al-qua...e-hammer-august-2013-tikka-of-the-month/

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if a "Tikk-age" will ever be a thing?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

It already is.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Try-Stan..... How's the shooting coming.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I've never really "gotten" it. I spin barrels on and off of my actions all of the time. I don't even have to try to get the headspace correct because that was set properly when the barrel was fitted originally. I think people are being sold on something they don't really need.....and that damn nut is ugly, but that's just my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Speed and price (but not speed on the actual barrel swap). A smith doesn't need your action, so your action doesn't need shipped both ways. Since a particular action isn't needed, some are pre-cutting popular options and have them on the shelf. You can have a chambered barrel shipped to you today just like a box of bullets. Additionally, most smiths I see charge less for machining a barrel for a nut setup vs a shoudered install.

NSS has piles of popular chamberings on the shelf ready to ship, you get a chambered Creiterion or Shilen for about the price of a high end blank. Greg Young will chamber any of his top shelf in stock barrels for you in your choice of chamber for $180, and do it in 30 days. Just a couple examples, I think the trend is going to continue and is a great option to have for high volume shooters. I'll be screwing my first one on tomorrow...

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I understand. I see it as a shortcut for the most part though. Few top competitors would go that route. I also see it as short term pain for long term gain. I know I can change barrels much faster and even in the field if necessary with a traditional setup.....and my headspace, die settings and brass can't ever be out of whack. To each his own. Not for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. If it's beyond scope mounts and stock screws I'm not messing with it anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
I understand. I see it as a shortcut for the most part though. Few top competitors would go that route. I also see it as short term pain for long term gain. I know I can change barrels much faster and even in the field if necessary with a traditional setup.....and my headspace, die settings and brass can't ever be out of whack. To each his own. Not for me.

I never could stand a Savage due to "the nut". However, after competing with guys running Savages with nuts in F/TR, I noticed they were competitive. I then began to see barrel offerings in calibers that looked interesting where I wanted to experiment without spending $3K on a custom setup. Also, I always hated the thought of shipping my high-end components across the country hoping they would arrive just as I held them. Compound that with the speed in which known 'smiths get your parts back to you assembled, it was a no-brainer.

I built me a .260 on a Savage 12 action with a Criterion barrel. I then bedded the stock in a B&C A2. Is it my favorite rifle? Not a chance. Did it surpass my expectations? You bet it did. I've been able to shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1,000 yards.

Can spin on barrels using barrel nuts be competitive? This guy thinks so:

http://criterionbarrels.com/honeycutt-sets-national-f-class-record-with-criterion-barrel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All things being equal, I'd prefer a shouldered install myself. Also, if I were competing in benchrest I wouldn't bother. In the steel/field precision/prs stye shoots I do, the last bit of accuracy potential is rarely realized. If you have a high quality, inexpensive, fast local smith that'd change the equation as well.

We'll see how I feel about the system after a barrel or two, as for now I'm optimistic.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So when is the shoot?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still waiting for this magical 2" groups from 500 yds out of stock rifles.....

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Still waiting for this magical 2" groups from 500 yds out of stock rifles.....

Probably ran out of ammo trying grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by 87k
Does anyone ever do a custom build on a Tikka? It seems like a guy could get a lot for $2000 build.

I've built quite a few, including my 3 F-TR competition rifles.

I believe I can be credited with the customizing of the action, whereas the front of the receiver if faced off square, and my custom designed recoil lug is installed between the receiver and barrel. whistle

Here's one of them. I've been at it for awhile. wink
http://www.tikkashooters.com/al-qua...e-hammer-august-2013-tikka-of-the-month/

I've also 'built' a few T3's.

I've left the recoil lugs alone, save using a steel one instead of the supplied aluminum.

What is the advantage of the '700' style recoil lug?
My way of thinking is that the '700' style has to have 4 perfectly flat surfaces to mate with, the stock Tikka the action and barrel need to be square.

Not to difficult to get sub 1/2 moa performance out of a stock Tikka action and a good bedding job.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

Holy Chit that is impressive!

Do you teach long range by chance?

I would love to get some pointers.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can shoot those kind of groups with my 788 remmy in 6mm but i dont know about using a 6x scope. 60 yr old eyes ain't up to that anymore.i shoot a 6x24x40 4200 elite on mine.i'm hanging tight at 1 3/8" at 400yds and have shot under 2" at 500.

70grn varmagedons in a 1/12 twist barrel.i own a few tikka's that shoot really well but they are deer guns and i never shot them that far.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread:
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Next week.......stay tuned!

Trystan

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Trystan

The suspense is killing me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a Knee always had a problem writing checks with his mouth that his ass couldn't cash.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Take a knee?

No way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trystan

LOL, keep practicing....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

We are still tuned, and I am ready to learn.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Trystan

Lots to learn from the OP. Just the other day he was lecturing Bigfin on long range hunting:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...The_Game_of_Inches_...bigge#Post11919724

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trystan

What exactly do you mean by "next week"? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole

Trystan

Lots to learn from the OP. Just the other day he was lecturing Bigfin on long range hunting:

Damn! I'm missing out on the fun, the knowledge, and the inability to discern between 'next week' and next month!

Not to mention I just bought a Tikka, but have only shot out to 400 yards, can't wait to learn to shoot at 500!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Right now it is this week. I'm going to shoot when its next week. Every time I get ready to shoot I realize I said next week but in the here and now its always this week. ☺ So, next week I'm going to shoot some groups. I almost can't wait to post them so as I can be followed around by the troll crowd for the next 3 months😀

Trystan

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by smokepole

Trystan

Damn! I'm missing out on the fun, the knowledge, and the inability to discern between 'next week' and next month!

Not to mention I just bought a Tikka, but have only shot out to 400 yards, can't wait to learn to shoot at 500!!!

Ingwe,

You probably did shoot to 500 and maybe beyond when you missed the target at 400 yds. I like to hang my 400 yd targets 10 ft high that way if I miss I'm shooting out past 2000 yds 😀

Just kidding!☺ How is your new 223 8 twist working out for you. The one I've got is my favorite rifle and that little sumbitch flat shoots. In fact it shoots so well I can't even say it on 24 hour campfire without someone schittin there pants😎

The rifle likes 25.6 grains of Benchmark with a 55 ttsx. Just for the record I'm not trying to school you in anyway. I know when I'm talking to the poobah and when I'm not.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 04/12/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Trystan

Right now it is this week. I'm going to shoot when its next week. Every time I get ready to shoot I realize I said next week but in the here and now its always this week. ☺ So, next week I'm going to shoot some groups. I almost can't wait to post them so as I can be followed around by the troll crowd for the next 3 months😀

Trystan

This thread reminds me of the sign at Joe's Crab Shack:

"Free Crabs Tomorrow."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

Trystan

Integrity is often measured by how you conduct yourself. Like credibility, when it is compromised, it is incredibly hard for others to trust, or have any respect for a person who is found lacking.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Trystan

Integrity is often measured by how you conduct yourself. Like credibility, when it is compromised, it is incredibly hard for others to trust, or have any respect for a person who is found lacking.

Mackay,

I do have to admit I've given deep consideration to not doing a you tube video or posting any replys whatsoever. That's kind of what I do when I'm followed around by trolls and such. I'm not talking about you I'm referring to a number of other individuals. Are you fellas going to get a video. You might but I doubt it!!!

Trystan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I do have to admit I've given deep consideration to not doing a you tube video or posting any replys whatsoever. That's kind of what I do when I'm followed around by trolls and such. I'm not talking about you I'm referring to a number of other individuals. Are you fellas going to get a video. You might but I doubt it!!!

Next time..... do the "deep consideration" BEFORE opening your mouth.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are you fellas going to get a video. You might but I doubt it!!!

Trystan

LOL, there's a surprise. We're not asking to see the video, just waiting for you to acknowledge it ain't gonna happen.

You were the only one unsure of the outcome.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Trystan

Trystan

Mackay,

Trystan

looks like you are proving the "trolls" correct by not posting a video. In addition, I'd say with no video, any credibility you had on this site would be gone as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know this thread was completely side-tracked with all the cat-calling and promises but I have been around enough of these things that I finally bit and bought one myself. I am waiting on rings so I can shoot it.

Neighbor down the street, retired finish carpenter, most humble guy I know bought a CTR in 308 and his son, in 260 Remington. He was asking me some reloading questions today. He showed me groups they shot at 500 yards with the 260 that were definitely 2" or under using 142 SMKs and H4350. He said that he can't shoot better than 3" with the 308 himself.

They decided to try something new and moved back to the other side of the wash. The new distance was 739 yards. They were .1 mil off and the elevation but soon hitting the 8" gong so easily that they decided to shoot the spray paint can. Hit it 4 in a row- the fourth shot tipped it over.

I believe a guy could buy a CTR and just go do it with NO modifications other than adjusting the trigger. I have spent $3000 on rifles to get something that would shoot 2" groups at 500 yards.

I will try and shoot some 500 yard groups this month if my scope ever comes. Mine is 308.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Those must be some pretty hefty spray paint cans if it takes four rounds to tip them over......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
sail right through brother

J
J
Well i don t know the OP but i own 3 tikkas and sold a fourth. My 6.5 swede is a solid half moa gun with factory nosler 140 ABs. I have shot 1 inch 3 round groups at 300 and shoot clays at to 400 with a high hit ratio. I have a bushnell 3200 3-9x40 mounted. I think witth more magnification and my hand loads I could pull off 3 inch groups at 500. My 223 T3 and 308 tikka tactical are both sub moa but they dont touch that Swede.

Take it for what its worth. I dont shoot past 400 very often but I believe a stock tikka with a better scope and ammo is possible lf a 2 inch group at 500.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took my Tikka out spring bear hunting off sleds....I didn't have a tag due to getting one in September so I brought my 6.5 along in case we saw some wolves. Anyway toward the end of the day I decided to do some plinking since its easy to set and retrieve targets on snowmobiles.

I suggested we try to hit a folgers can at 550 and my buddy's were like no way will we hit it. So I set up a couple A-arm guards that were falling off my sled any way at 410 and 470. Let one buddy shoot 2 at 410 and the other buddy 2 at 470. Couldn't see any reaction to the hits but a quick zip over there yielded roughly both of them shot roughly 1" at 410 and 470...after that they wanted to skoot the folgers can to 800+ which we did smile

410 on the left and 470 on the right:
[Linked Image]

Of course when it shoots 5 shot groups like this at 100 yards its not all the suprising wink
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow!

6.5X55?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

[Linked Image]

Is that an XCR Element?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's an XLR element yes.

6.5 Creedmoor .....let the flaming begin cause I caved and got a CM wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it a CTR in a XLR?

Looks boss!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes sir! But not sure it gets to keep the "C" in CTR being as it's the 24" barrel version. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
tikka rifles are one of the best bang for the buck going now days, however I have a Howa 1500 i picked up for a doner action toward a 6.5 creedmoore build that shoots out of this world. Was so impressed with this rifle that I elected to keep it scoped to turn coyotes on their ears.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Not 500 yards but 500 meters. Tikka .308 Varmint chopped 17.5' dropped in a Manners T3

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DG1969; 02/21/18.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very, very nice. Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Lots of great rifles here.

It seems I've been living under a rock, and knew nothing of the new KRG Bravo. I'm intrigued. Enough so that I've tossed one in a shopping cart @KRG, along with two 5 round AI mags. No flies on the CTR has it sits stock, but I'd be interested to see how it handles in the Bravo.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
And damn, I hate Photobucket for crashing so many of these threads.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
And damn, I hate Photobucket for crashing so many of these threads.

Take the time to apply the Photobucket Fix as described in that thread.

As long as the original posters don't get pissed off and delete their accounts, all the pics will still be there and visible in a normal manner.

It works fine for me in Firefox 56.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sometimes you have experience stuff first hand to believe it or "get on board". I recently did this with my Tikka CTR package. "Building" a LR tikka should consist of buying a rifle - lite, superlite, ctr, what ever floats your boat. Quality rings/bases, and a top notch scope - depending on your usage, and go shooting. For the most part, anything else is going to be for cosmetics - rather than increase in performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Sometimes you have experience stuff first hand to believe it or "get on board". I recently did this with my Tikka CTR package. "Building" a LR tikka should consist of buying a rifle - lite, superlite, ctr, what ever floats your boat. Quality rings/bases, and a top notch scope - depending on your usage, and go shooting. For the most part, anything else is going to be for cosmetics - rather than increase in performance.

Accuracy isn’t the only measure of performance...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Performance is the only measure of performance....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Performance is the only measure of performance....

Mind. Blown. LOL

My .223AI Varmint 8 twist, with MDT 10-round poly mags, replaced trigger spring, and extended bolt handle performs pretty nicely with 75’s...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hittingstuffedness consistently... is my number one priority in rifle performance....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My rifle shoots like crap, but man is it pretty and a joy to carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s aided greatly by setting up the rifle to bughole slickery bullets in repeater fashion, and in a configuration that is optimally ergonomic for the shooter. Those things aren’t cosmetic, and certainly increase the “hittingstuffedness” quotient.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
"Stick" is wearing off on you all wayyyy tooo much....lolol

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Did we ever get a video? or is it still 'next week'?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Working on the stock..

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Working on the stock..

[Linked Image]

Sweet...

What you thinking on stock and bullet?

- Greg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had it throated for 140 berger as generic starting point. Want to shoot 150 sierra. Have extra bell and Carlson until I can afford McMillan. 8 twist Krieger #4 at 26".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cool...

The 140 gets forgotten a bit these days....

- Greg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I actually like the B&C tikka stock. Same shape as original. I need to open channel, bed and paint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manners has a mini chassis available in a couple of their stocks

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DG1969
Not 500 yards but 500 meters. Tikka .308 Varmint chopped 17.5' dropped in a Manners T3

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Canberra?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Had it throated for 140 berger as generic starting point. Want to shoot 150 sierra. Have extra bell and Carlson until I can afford McMillan. 8 twist Krieger #4 at 26".

What velocity do you think for the 140?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
3180 fps with 140's in my 264. 68 grns of Retumbo.

RS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is a big step up from the mid size 6.5's

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
BigGameRS lined me out on this. Yeah, the 264 clobbers the creed, etc.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Trystan

laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Trystan

Me too. You just have to whittle it down to 2-shot groups by throwing out the "flyers."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Also.... it doesn’t matter that said 2” group is 2’ from POA.....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.