-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
My Dad was walking his dog this afternoon behind his house and jumped up 2 large Coyotes (he thinks). He said they were large for Coyotes and almost looked like wolves but we've never heard of wolves in this area of Va. He found these tracks and sent them over. Are these Coyote tracks or perhaps another large dog?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaneman23
My Dad was walking his dog this afternoon behind his house and jumped up 2 large Coyotes (he thinks). He said they were large for Coyotes and almost looked like wolves but we've never heard of wolves in this area of Va. He found these tracks and sent them over. Are these Coyote tracks or perhaps another large dog?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are NO wolves in ANY part of VA or even close to VA. There are some Eastern coyotes that have a good bit of dog in the mix that can get well over 50#, but that's it.

He either jumped two coyotes or two dogs.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by 4ager

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are NO wolves in ANY part of VA or even close to VA. There are some Eastern coyotes that have a good bit of dog in the mix that can get well over 50#, but that's it.

I told him the same yesterday. I did read where there have been several unconfirmed sightings of wolves in s.w. Va. They may not officially exist but there could be a few out there roaming around. Same for Mountain Lions.

K
OP Offline
K
Any opinion on the track?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I told him the same yesterday. I did read where there have been several unconfirmed sightings of wolves in s.w. Va. They may not officially exist but there could be a few out there roaming around. Same for Mountain Lions.

There are no wolves in SWVA; none. There are Cougars, though.

The tracks are pretty round; likely dog.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Because he jumped 2 coyotes I would be inclined to say thats what the track was made from, however it looks to wide to be a coyote.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Dog to to me.

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canine and looks like dog to me though could be one of those big eastern coyotes. Not as big as an adult wolf track. Definitely not a cougar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Canine and looks like dog to me though could be one of those big eastern coyotes. Not as big as an adult wolf track. Definitely not a cougar.

Dog would be my guess too....

Wolf track for reference....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say domestic dog....coyote tracks are more oval shaped than those, and a bit smaller. Wolf tracks, as shown above are much larger, but are also oval shaped.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (300jimmy, 10Glocks, 41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 11 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,446
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.