Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Though about trying one of these.

Is this an dumb idea, as the 338 RCM isn't an huge success and brass may become difficult to source in the future. The availibility of brass is kinda the deal breaker.

What I am wanting is an above 30 cal rifle that is powerful and compact for an lefty. Also I'm wanting to have something as close to an Mauser 98 style action.

I've got the left hand GSR scout rifle and I'd like to have an big brother.

Any thoughts?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Though about trying one of these.

Is this an dumb idea, as the 338 RCM isn't an huge success and brass may become difficult to source in the future. The availibility of brass is kinda the deal breaker.

What I am wanting is an above 30 cal rifle that is powerful and compact for an lefty. Also I'm wanting to have something as close to an Mauser 98 style action.

I've got the left hand GSR scout rifle and I'd like to have an big brother.

Any thoughts?

I just got done building one myself same idea basically that can be viewed here

New Lefty

Now if your wanting a something in 338 specifically I would look at the 338 federal or the 338-06 long before the 338 rcm. You will never have an issue getting brass for either of those since one is based on 308 and the other 30-06. I don't subscribe to the Magnum deal anymore. I have had a 338 win mag. Just to much for normal carry.

Cheers

Last edited by marshland_max; 02/03/17.

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If brass got non excitant for a 338 RCM....just re chamber for 338-300 WSM...

I have a 300 RCM lots of brass for it....did consider rechamber to 300 WSM....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just stock up on brass now while its easily available. With the RCM you can downloaded it but you cant upload the others. Brass life is great. I just wish they would have made a stainless LH version.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What kind of room do you have in the short action Ruger rifles? I have only ever had long action 77's. Have to say I do miss my MK II stainless 30-06 frown

Gerry.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I been hunting with the 338 RCM for about 5-6 years. Huge fan. Just bought its sister in 300 RCM.
In the case of the RCM's, the rifle design and features makes the cartridge shine.

Easy to find new ammo for as well as brass. Just pick up 150-200 pieces of either and you will be set for many decades.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put me in the "great idea" camp. If you didn't already know, CDNN is the place to buy.
Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Love both of ours 1 LH wood blue 338 RCM and 1 RH SS Synthetic. Very accurate and not fussy. Use same load for both rifles. Buy 200 plus brass and your set.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sent mine down the road after a new MPI stock, trigger job and new crown. Still had a 2-2.5 inch gun. Although Black bear at ~20 feet never complained however....

338-06 is in my very near future.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being a Lefty I've grown tired of hearing all the right handed snobs whine about stock ergos, weight, balance, handling, blah blah blah....we simply don't have the luxury of many models to choose from to be able to cry over such minutia.

BUT...this Ruger RCM.....is a really REALLY neat rifle. Have a 338. And with only a few tags per season, it's gone with me quite often and made "the cut".
It's really just an All Around handy rifle. I think of grabbing a second one it's that neat.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm one of those folks who believe that an long time ago when the 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, and 30-06 came about they pretty found the solution to most situations. They do an lot.

What I want is more bullet weight and diameter in an nice handy rifle.

Another option would be the Ruger 375 guide rifle and load it up or down. Weight might be more with the 375 vs the 338 RCM.

What I am really aiming to accomplish is something that is nice and handy and throws 225-250gr slugs. Also want an Mauser type action.

Thank you for your replys. I'll look into CDNN and see if something is available.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Being a Lefty I've grown tired of hearing all the right handed snobs whine about stock ergos, weight, balance, handling, blah blah blah....we simply don't have the luxury of many models to choose from to be able to cry over such minutia.

BUT...this Ruger RCM.....is a really REALLY neat rifle. Have a 338. And with only a few tags per season, it's gone with me quite often and made "the cut".
It's really just an All Around handy rifle. I think of grabbing a second one it's that neat.

That's cool. I can see where this platform would be pretty good.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I'm one of those folks who believe that an long time ago when the 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, and 30-06 came about they pretty found the solution to most situations. They do an lot.

What I want is more bullet weight and diameter in an nice handy rifle.

Another option would be the Ruger 375 guide rifle and load it up or down. Weight might be more with the 375 vs the 338 RCM.

What I am really aiming to accomplish is something that is nice and handy and throws 225-250gr slugs. Also want an Mauser type action.

Thank you for your replys. I'll look into CDNN and see if something is available.

LOL, you just described my .358 win!

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well, I went and ordered one. $519 shipped.

The plan is to strip the finish, give the stock an pine tar treatment and then bed the barreled action. After that I'm going to get some quality quick detach scope rings and set up an peep on the rear if possible.

Getting an rear peep integrated may face some challenge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Basically a short action 338-06 is a good place to be. Like others have said buy some brass and you will be set. Hope you let us know how it all works out for you.

Gerry.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
NECG makes a Ruger peep that goes right in the rear scope mount slot when you remove the scope

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
XS is makes a much more attractive sight. Look at the one in rj308's post on page 2 of this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7977224/Re:_Ruger_No._1_Aperture_Sight#Post7977224

And the same thing on a 77:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6862294/Re:_burris_to_weaver_ruger_#1_#Post6862294

He combined an XS Weaver Backup with a Burris Ruger to Weaver base.

ETA: Don't know why the link doesn't work, ya gotta copy & paste; sorry.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 02/08/17.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Rifle arrived. I'm going to strip the stock of the factory finish and with an heat gun apply several coating of pine tar to the walnut stock. Pine tar is awesome.

After this it will have the action bedded and I will need an different recoil pad. Any recommendation on an quality pad?

It will be set up for an scope in QD rings and I'll have an micro dot as an backup along with irons. I want on the fly options.

Lastly, it has the typical Ruger short bolt handle that's hard to manipulate. Thinking I might get an bolt extension mod so it's easier for me to cycle the rifle like a boss. I hate the short bolt handle.

My goal once this is up and running is an powerful intermediate range handy rifle.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Upon inspection I noticed that the the action isn't super smooth but it's much better out of the box with no lube than my much used Ruger scout rifle. Yea Ruger!

Also the stock is pretty plain but the fitting of wood to metal detail is very good. The checkering is extremely sharp and accurately applied. Actually, this is the best machine checkering I've personally had on an factory rifle. Yea Ruger!

Right out of the gate this lefty Hawkeye has an good deal more attention to detail than my lefty Ruger scout.

I just might be glad I picked this project up.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bed it to prevent stock splitting issues.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.