Hop To
S
Schwa Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi there,

I own a Marlin 336 and was wondering if anyone here might know if flip-to-side scope mounts are okay to use with a scope on this rifle.

I plan on getting a 4x-12x magnification scope but anything closer that is obscure in a 4x I may want to use the iron sights.

I know I could go the 1x-4x or 2x-7x magnification route but I was wondering what you all thought.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Oh my.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Schwa Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh my.

That's quite a thought, Steelhead smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If something is too close to shot with a decent 4x scope,just rest the muzzle on the fur and pull the trigger. I don't think swing over mounts have been made for 40 years. A 12x variable on a Marlin 336 is like socks on a rooster,it doesn't belong there because it just doesn't fit.

My longest range Marlin, a 308 Marlin Express has a 2-7 Leupold,it is plenty of scope for anything ever chambered in a Marlin 336. Put something like that in Quick Detachable mounts and you will have something practical. What you suggest is ridiculous.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 07/26/16.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Schwa, couple things to think about. My dad used an old Pachmayr flip mount on his Marlin 336 for quite a long time with great satisfaction. However, eventually it lost its ability to hold zero, often moving a few feet between shots. The same scope in a weaver mount tightened things up a lot, so it was the mount at fault.

I respectfully submit that a 4-12x is a bit much for a lever action. You can get all the magnification you need from a typical lever action with the 4x scope. While you don't mention the caliber, either of the most common 336 calibers limit out at about 200, or even closer for most shooters. At that range on deer, 4x is plenty.

As far as needing the scope out of the way for closer shots, if the scope is mounted correctly, you should have no issue with a 4x even at bayonet range. If the deer is that close, you won't likely have time to flip the scope out of the way and not be seen.

Based on a lot of experience, find a fixed 2.5x,3x,4x, or 1-4x variable, mount it low, and practice with your gun in field positions. It should work much better for you than a 4-12 on a flip mount. Just my recommendation, do with it what you will.

Old70.

IC B2

S
Schwa Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Old70 and rural, you're a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for your advice!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a Leupold 4x scope one my Winchester mod 70 featherweight 30-06 , in a Weaver pivot mount, since 1963 when my dad got it for me. It has always held zero with no problems. I honestly do not see the need for such a high powered variable on a lever action, and would recommend a much lower power scope such as Old70 and ruraldoc mentioned.
I would think a larger scope like most 4x12 models would add too much weight and upset the balance making the rifle rather unwieldy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh my.

Oh my god!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My old Marlin has an original Weaver tipoff mount that I have had for 45 years. I originally had a Gibson branded (Tasco) 6X scope on it. I killed my first deer, antelope and elk with it, not to mention the coyotes, rabbits, and Prairie dogs that rifle put down. Not sure whats out there nowadays, but I bet you can find some see through mounts at a gunshow junk dealer. Probably need them to get a HUGE 12X on that little gun.

Thinking back though, I don't think I ever tipped that scope off except to practice with the ironsights.

Last edited by Allen917; 08/03/16.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Frankly, I agree with old70, at most, all you'd need is a 4x or thereabouts, in a good, solid, low mounted rig.

I use it with my .30/30, a Leupold M8-4X of ancient vintage. Even it looks a bit large in my own eyes. If you need more glass, use some good binoculars to check out the rack, then switch to the rifle to finish the job (finding the deer is job one, of course, shooting the deer is job two, and getting the deer dressed and dragged out is job three).
Over-scoping the levergun has been a problem for a very long time, and overscoping ruins the good handling qualities of an otherwise handy levergun.

A simple, good quality scope will completely cancel out any need to flip the scope out of the way, and mounted solidly, is unlikely to get the scope deranged in any way.
The other posters are pretty smart, best listen to them carefully.

Attached Images
DSCN0931.JPG (95.68 KB, 79 downloads)
Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/09/16.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Solid mounts that you can't see through/under and a Leupold 2-7x33 with a heavy duplex reticle, like the VX-1 shotgun style, is my preferred Marlin 336 sights. I have Weaver #62B one-piece bases, Warne Maxima rings, and Leupold 2-7x33s on my Marlin 336s in 30-30, 307, 35, and 356.

If you like Marlin 336s, you might enjoyed reading some of the articles that Marshall Stanton has written on his www.beartoothbullets.com site. Two that I like are in the "tech notes" section; "Marlin Trapper Carbine" and "Savage 24".

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a Remington 760 carbine that Dad got back in the late 50's, early 60's. It has the Weaver Tip-off mount with a 3-9x Winfield.

Over the last 20 years or so, I have rolled that scope over to the side and snapped it back in maybe 75 to 100 times. It always holds true. POI is where POA was.

Makes no friggin' sense. But it will shoot honest 1 1/2 groups with Remington 165 grain factory loads even when flipping the scope over and snapping it back in between shots. if I don't mess with the scope, It does much better.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago I had tip off mounts on a Remington 760. My best recollection is that I only used the tip offs twice and ended up not using the iron sights anyway. We have lots of thick brush hunting areas here in Ontario but a low powered scope always worked adequately.
I won't comment on the suggested high magnification scope you want to use. That is your decision.
Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the course of several years as a rangemaster and having attempted (key word here is ATTEMPTED) to sight in those stupid flip mounts, I can say without out a doubt that they're about as useful as a solar powered ashtray. They routinely don't hold POI and can't be trusted. I'm sure the ammo makers would love to see them on every deer rifle out there, as they'd sell one buttload of ammo. Conventional bases and rings, as low to the barrel as possible, (don't use extra high rings if you don't need to) and a good 4X scope are all a lever gun really needs. Pick open sights or use a scope. Don't try to combine both.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a set of Weavers on Model 88 in the 60's and a cheap $18 Bushnell banner 3x9 scope on it. Killed a lot of deer and a few elk with it. Never did use the tip off too much.
The see thru mounts are an abomination. They set the scope too high.

The 336 comb doesn't lend itself real well to a scope but can be used as such.Personally I would put a fixed 2x or 4x on it. The smaller compact fixed power are light enough that they won't mes sup the handling of the rifle.

I always figured these smaller lever guns were meant to be quick handling, hunting the thick stuff types.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back in the 1970s, The local Gunsmith told me that the flip to the side mounts were not very good. As they could lose their accuracy. He also told me the one piece mounts were better than the two-piece mounts. However, I started using two-piece mounts in the mid '90s. As long as they're put on my guns tight enough I haven't had a problem.

So, maybe he was wrong about the flip to the side mounts. Anyway I just wanted to let you know what I was told.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I hunted with a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen that had pivot mounts on it for 15 years , it never lost zero!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If you keep the tapered screws that the rings pivot on tight enough that the mount will pivot but with a fair amount of resistance, the Weaver mounts will work well and maintain zero.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A low power variable is my favorite for lever actions. A 1x - 4x, 1.5x - 5x, or a 2x - 7x will let you shoot with both eyes open and still see the cross hairs when set to the lowest power, and 4, 5, or 7 power is all the magnification necessary for lever gun ranges on deer.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A tip off mount is a mount intended for use on a grooved receiver .22. A mount that pivots the scope out of the way is called, well, a pivot mount. Don't believe me? (I agree it is counter intuitive somewhat.) Look them up in some old catalogs.

Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to correct something that seems to be crawling into the common vernacular and help you be more knowledgeable in the next bullshit session at the gun shop.

(And yes, the pivot mount was an answer to a question that should never have been asked.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1minute, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 3,164 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.