Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by powdr
So Heaven, you're saying that 8grains of bullet makes the CM a real killer. Haven't needed it in the last 40 years. Let's see...I'm going to trade in or sell my .243 that shoots 100gr bullets just fine for one that will shoot a bullet 8grains heavier. Doesn't make any sense to me and while I'm thinking about it 257...GFY! That's twice now you've been a smart ass and tried to belittle me in front of the fire. Won't work trying to intimidate me. powdr

He's not the one making you look like an idiot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B6

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by powdr
So Heaven, you're saying that 8grains of bullet makes the CM a real killer. Haven't needed it in the last 40 years. Let's see...I'm going to trade in or sell my .243 that shoots 100gr bullets just fine for one that will shoot a bullet 8grains heavier. Doesn't make any sense to me and while I'm thinking about it 257...GFY! That's twice now you've been a smart ass and tried to belittle me in front of the fire. Won't work trying to intimidate me. powdr

What a idiot.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Seafire
With the 243 being around almost as long as I have...

and been doing a fine job...

I am seeing no reason to get rid of them and go get one of these...

and for fast twist.. I have a 6mm Rem on a Long Action, and is throated for mag length loaded rounds...

guess everyone feels the need to reinvent the wheel...

How is it reinventing the wheel if you're not a old man and don't have a long action fast twist 6 rem? I think the OP just walked into a store and bought that rifle. Pretty sure that's the point to the whole thread.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not entirely true. My new No.1 Varmint is a 1-7.7". Now that Ruger is making the faster barrels, perhaps they'll offer them on more stuff.

I would actually have preferred the Creedmoor round for its possibly better barrel life, but I'll deal with that issue after 1000-1200 rounds or so, so possibly never.

Bet you wouldn't have a 1-7.7 twist on your new #1 if Ruger hadn't come out with the 6mm Creed..

I bet he would have, Ruger had the 1:7.7 twist in a .243 Win Precision rifle a full year before they introduced the 6mm CM. I'd expect the 7.7 twist to trickle into all of Ruger's 6mm products.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

and for fast twist.. I have a 6mm Rem on a Long Action, and is throated for mag length loaded rounds...

I went for the fast-twist No.1 .243 for its other features, but the ability to play with long, pointy bullets is a bonus. For deer, I expect to use the same old 100gr NPs or Pro Hunters or maybe one of the 300 or so 90gr eTip blems I picked up. In the recent Handloader .243 article by Brian Pearce, he mentions that others have reported light varmint bullets going to pieces from the fast-twist tubes. I've seen that from pushing bullets too fast, but not from spinning them too fast.

The other advantage of the CR may be better barrel life, with its sharper shoulder and longer neck. Might be less prone to pressure "excursions" too. Maybe.

I'd love to have a nice 6mm, possibly the best 6 ever, but they're scarce. Might have to build one if I ever find myself with an extra Mauser in hand.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/26/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kaleb:

its not the rifle, I don't feel the need for.. its the round..some one necked up a 22.250, essentially necking the old 250 Savage to 6 mm... "new ideas" seem to sell, even if they were old ideas that have been around forever.. but hey, if someone thinks they need a 'new idea'....more power to them...

but I can't see anything the 6mm Creedmoor or the 6.5 version does anything the 243s and 260s won't do...

wasn't trying to undercut someone's choice.. more along the lines as I don't see the need for it..

but I'd rather hang around those that think we need cartridges and rifles, than a bunch of anti gunners any day.

and Pappy, I myself seem to be reaching for the 6mm and 22 calibers for most of my off season shooting needs...

I look at the Creedmoor vs the 243/260 debate the same way I'd look as if someone came out with the 222, and spouted off the improvements and value it offered over the 223.

but hey, I love Round Nose bullets.. so consider me Fred Flintstone old school...

you boys enjoy your new Creedmoors, until some other new fad hits the streets, and I'll keep using what has been working fine for eons...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kaleb:

its not the rifle, I don't feel the need for.. its the round..some one necked up a 22.250, essentially necking the old 250 Savage to 6 mm... "new ideas" seem to sell, even if they were old ideas that have been around forever.. but hey, if someone thinks they need a 'new idea'....more power to them...

but I can't see anything the 6mm Creedmoor or the 6.5 version does anything the 243s and 260s won't do...

wasn't trying to undercut someone's choice.. more along the lines as I don't see the need for it..

but I'd rather hang around those that think we need cartridges and rifles, than a bunch of anti gunners any day.

and Pappy, I myself seem to be reaching for the 6mm and 22 calibers for most of my off season shooting needs...

I look at the Creedmoor vs the 243/260 debate the same way I'd look as if someone came out with the 222, and spouted off the improvements and value it offered over the 223.

but hey, I love Round Nose bullets.. so consider me Fred Flintstone old school...

you boys enjoy your new Creedmoors, until some other new fad hits the streets, and I'll keep using what has been working fine for eons...

It's like BobinNH never died.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not entirely true. My new No.1 Varmint is a 1-7.7". Now that Ruger is making the faster barrels, perhaps they'll offer them on more stuff.

I would actually have preferred the Creedmoor round for its possibly better barrel life, but I'll deal with that issue after 1000-1200 rounds or so, so possibly never.

Bet you wouldn't have a 1-7.7 twist on your new #1 if Ruger hadn't come out with the 6mm Creed..

I bet he would have, Ruger had the 1:7.7 twist in a .243 Win Precision rifle a full year before they introduced the 6mm CM. I'd expect the 7.7 twist to trickle into all of Ruger's 6mm products.

You are right, I forgot about that until a the day after I posted..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by moosemike

Normally I'd agree with you but now I have no choice but to embrace the Creedmoor. My son is frustrated that I'm hesitant to jump on the Creedmoor bandwagon so he says he is buying me one. smile

Just hold your ground, stamp your feet and tell him NO!..
While grinning.. laugh

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will! wink

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SMACK
Then comes the heart breaker❤️!! I was hoping that the new Sierra 110gr MK would shoot in this rifle with the 1-7.7 twist....Bellow is the best the 110gr Sierra MK's have grouped out of this rifle.😬 they just won't shoot so far.

110 MK bottom

[Linked Image]

So, do you think the 110s need a faster twist barrel?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn that sucks they don't shoot.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Then comes the heart breaker❤️!! I was hoping that the new Sierra 110gr MK would shoot in this rifle with the 1-7.7 twist. I have ran them through the paces just like I have the Nosler 105gr RDF.

With the Sierra 110gr Match King. I have tried the gauntlet of seating depths, with both RL-17 and H4350.

Bellow is the best the 110gr Sierra MK's have grouped out of this rifle.😬 they just won't shoot so far.

That does suck! Totally different cartridge, powder and bullet but I didn't have the best luck with H4350 and 115 grain DTAC bullets in my old .243. RL22 and seating the bullet .130 off of the lands gave me the best accuracy in my seating depth tests, but .050 was a close second.

[Linked Image]

Maybe you just haven't found the right combo yet, but the way those 105's are shooting, I wonder if you should even bother.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can't complain about how well it shoots the 105 RDF's. When I have a little more time I'll give the Sierra 110's another try. Did a little shooting today with the Berger 87gr Hunting VLD. Only fired 5 but they came in under a inch at 100 yards. That shows some promise, I'll load a few more up at different seating depths. The RL-17 seems to be doing well as it did in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Swapped scopes on my 6mm Creedmoor, adjusted the trigger. Free floated the barrel channel, shortened the front action screw to allow me to torque the action screws to 80 inch pounds each. The front screw was a little long and protruded too far into the action and made contact with the bolt lugs when torqued to 80 inch pounds.

Zeroed it a little high at 100 yards. Shot several 1/2 inch groups. I then took it out to 200 yards. Slight breeze and a light rain. Shot the bottom target first, made a scope adjustment and shot the top target. Called it good for MOA of Rockchuck or Coyote. I have never owned a Bushnell 3200 elite. This is the 4-12, duplex adjustable objective model. I Personally didn't care for it. Guess I'll spring for a Leupold or Vortex for it.

If anyone is interested in the scope and ring combo (Warne steel rings). I'll sell the combo for $235.00 Shipped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
S
S
Do you have any updates for us SMACK? I've just pick one of these up for myself and am amazed by the accuracy with factory ammo. I'm shooting the Hornady 103gr ELD-X Precision Hunter incredibly well. And the velocity consistency is quite impressive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SPDRCER; 11/09/17. Reason: Added Pics
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action

some old fudds may not like it , but the Creedmoor case is not going to go away.....

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I really like the chambering! I like the 6.5 Creedmoor also. I have built fast twist .243's, 6mm Rem's and 6.5-284's over the years. When a guy has spent 30 plus years shooting and loading for everything he can get his hands on. The amount of money spent on custom rifles and dies is huge, it all adds up in a hurry. It makes me scratch my head at the thought of walking into a gun shop paying $389.00 for a rifle, 24.00 for a box of Hornady factory 108gr ELD-M's. Throwing a scope on it and its first 3 shot group is in the .3's, its first 5 shot group is in the low .5's and it shoots half MOA out to 300 yards in the first bench session! I have spent a bunch more with McMillan, Benchmark, GA Precision and many others to get that performance with tuned handloads. Other than fit, feel and quality of a custom rig, It almost makes a guy feel
Cheated! Almost... :)))

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action
<snip>..

Exactly. I wanted a 6mm/243, and did my homework first. The more modern 6CM won. Paying a bit more for brass has been the only negative so far

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like the chambering! I like the 6.5 Creedmoor also. I have built fast twist .243's, 6mm Rem's and 6.5-284's over the years. When a guy has spent 30 plus years shooting and loading for everything he can get his hands on. The amount of money spent on custom rifles and dies is huge, it all adds up in a hurry. It makes me scratch my head at the thought of walking into a gun shop paying $389.00 for a rifle, 24.00 for a box of Hornady factory 108gr ELD-M's. Throwing a scope on it and its first 3 shot group is in the .3's, its first 5 shot group is in the low .5's and it shoots half MOA out to 300 yards in the first bench session! I have spent a bunch more with McMillan, Benchmark, GA Precision and many others to get that performance with tuned handloads. Other than fit, feel and quality of a custom rig, It almost makes a guy feel
Cheated! Almost... :)))

It really is quite amazing. I couldn’t agree more with you

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.