Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not to long ago I purchased a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor it was a solid half MOA performer with handloads.

I've been away on field jobs, finally was able to lurk some of my favorite gun shops today. Walked through the door and they handed me a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. I'll take it.. SOLD! I had no idea they were even doing these. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
that should do nicely with some hornady 105's and a super chicken up top.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just scored one today, too. Been looking awhile for them to actually be available.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cracked and just bought a case of Hornady factory 108 Gr. ELD Match ammo. Then I'll have 200 pcs of brass to reload my 105 Amaxes.

As soon as the Precision Rifle comes out in 6mm CM.....I'll have one of those, too.

My son has been shooting a 6mm-250 for a number of years. Basically the same, except the CM round has less taper. May have his barrel set back a thread and reamed to 6 CM so he can shoot factory if he wants.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SMACK
Not to long ago I purchased a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor it was a solid half MOA performer with handloads.

I've been away on field jobs, finally was able to lurk some of my favorite gun shops today. Walked through the door and they handed me a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. I'll take it.. SOLD! I had no idea they were even doing these. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

[Linked Image]

Damn for $389 I would have bought it too!

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B2

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
They didn't have any of the 108 Eld match ammo in when I purchased the rifle. They did tell me they had purchased 25K worth of 6.5 & 6mm Creedmoor ammo at a buying show a week or so prior and it should in anytime. So they will call me when it's delivered. Let me know how the 108 shoots in yours as soon as you get some bench time with it.

I purchased a Ruger Precision Gen II in 6.5 Creedmoor when I purchased my Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. I shot the Ruger American first and it was a solid 1/2 MOA rifle with the 140 A-Max's. The Ruger American only ran me $402.00 out the door with our wonderful state tax. The American Predator shot so well, the Ruger Precision remains unfired still in the box. It may get swapped out for a Precision in 6mm Creedmoor depending on how the above American 6mm Creedmoor shoots.

Last edited by SMACK; 02/05/17.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Grabbed one myself on Friday. Got dies and brass on the way. Should be here around Monday!

I have the RAR in 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Figure I'll try the 105 gr. Amax first!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice snag!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SMACK - "...handed me a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor." First off congrats on your scoring the 6mm Creedmoor.

Have a question for you on the 2 Ruger Predators. I've a 243W and a 6.5X55 Swede so, while not a direct comparison, they're pretty close when hand-loaded. What was it about the newer 6mm that you liked? Homesteader

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 6 Creed will be huge. The 22 Creed will be big too.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LGS has 5 of the Ruger American Predator rifles in 6mm Creedmoor, instock. Same cannot be said for 6.5 Creed in the same rifle though.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Homesteader
SMACK - "...handed me a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor." First off congrats on your scoring the 6mm Creedmoor.

Have a question for you on the 2 Ruger Predators. I've a 243W and a 6.5X55 Swede so, while not a direct comparison, they're pretty close when hand-loaded. What was it about the newer 6mm that you liked? Homesteader

Since I have shot the Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was superbly accurate for a $389.00 factory rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once I saw the the 6mm Creedmoor it was a no brainer. High BC bullets in the 105-115gr range. More velocity than the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 1-7.7 twist is perfect for the heavy, long, high BC bullets. The rifle is throated correctly as to touch the lands if need be with the heavies and load from the magazine. I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet but I'm really looking forward to it. If it shoots anything like the 6.5 I will be more than pleased.

The slightly shorter Creedmoor case as compared to the .243 Win is a plus when feeding from a short action. Espicialy with the heavier, longer match style bullets. Less bullet is seated into the case/powder column and they feed from the magazine or mag box better.

I'm a big fan of both the .243 Win and the 6.5x55. Along with the 6.5x284 but my 6.5x.284's have all been built on long actions so I can seat the heavies further out and still be able to feed from the mag box on a Rem700.

Last edited by SMACK; 02/11/17.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Holy smokes this new 6mm 110gr Sierra Match king is sleek and sexy!

From left to right.

Hornady 6mm Creedmoor case, Sierra 6mm 110gr MK, Hornady 6.5 140gr A-Max.

[Linked Image]

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
First three and five shot groups with factory ammo at 100 yards after breaking the barrel in.

[Linked Image]

First groups with my 90gr Accubonds hand load at 100 & 200 yards. That 200 yard group was a screamer and made me scratch my head as compared to how they shot at 100 yards?😊😊

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope the 1-7.7" barrel they put on the .243 No.1 Varmint shoots as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeez, they're cranking out Creedmoor variations faster than we can keep up!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet shooter!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
SMACK, why did you switch from the Howa Alpine over to the Ruger American Predator?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scope?

What fresh Hell is this?
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
SMACK, why did you switch from the Howa Alpine over to the Ruger American Predator?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I didn't switch per say. I had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor built. I sold the Howa, I like Firearms! I would run out of room if I kept them all 😉 I wanted to try the Ruger American Predators. Seeing I have and have shot many customs. The accuracy rumors of the Predator intrigued me. The 6.5 Predator was a solid 1/2 MOA rifle it delivered its share of 1" to 1 -1/2" groups at 300 yards. Just makes a guy stand and scratch his head when a $379.00 buck factory rifle is shooting as well as the McMillan or Benchmark customs on the bench with it!!!

I wasn't looking to buy another Predator but my local gun shops know how to work me. I walked in they ambushed me, shoved that 6mm Creedmoor in one hand and the other hand reached for my wallet. I GOT IT BAD!

When my planned optics get here next week, I'll really be about to get to it with the handloads and see what it has.

Last edited by SMACK; 02/23/17.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like just another .243 to me. What's the big deal? powdr

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by powdr

Better twist rate than any .243 that's commercially made and will handle pretty much any bullet you can put in it. Since manufacturers won't update the twist on the .243 Win rifles to handle heavy bullets, then why not bring out a cartridge that'll force them to use a faster twist barrel? Even if it is very close to the .243 Win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not entirely true. My new No.1 Varmint is a 1-7.7". Now that Ruger is making the faster barrels, perhaps they'll offer them on more stuff.

I would actually have preferred the Creedmoor round for its possibly better barrel life, but I'll deal with that issue after 1000-1200 rounds or so, so possibly never.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, part of it could be that we're also taking the standard 308-length stuff and exceeding common short action mag boxes and throats, with these new long-for-caliber pills....I've been guilty of it in 358, since NABs came out. Same in 223-length.....twist is just one issue, it seems. It's almost like the majors should just twist a long action right, and get them to feed short action calibers.....or we could just go back to long action calibers? LOL

My responses on another thread did point me here, and the 6C pres is interesting me, for efficiency.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not entirely true. My new No.1 Varmint is a 1-7.7". Now that Ruger is making the faster barrels, perhaps they'll offer them on more stuff.

I would actually have preferred the Creedmoor round for its possibly better barrel life, but I'll deal with that issue after 1000-1200 rounds or so, so possibly never.

Bet you wouldn't have a 1-7.7 twist on your new #1 if Ruger hadn't come out with the 6mm Creed..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hit the range real quick today. I loaded up some Nosler 6mm, 105gr RDF's. Started on the lands and loaded them in sets of three. Backing off in .020 increments.

These two groups were the last two I shot at 100 yards. The further I backed off the tighter they grouped

2.740 left, 2.760 right. 2.740 was my last set. I'll load two more sets of three up and seat them at 2.730 and at 2.720 and see if they tighten up anymore.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 02/24/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Keep buying .243's. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a 6mm CM. It's basically just a 6mm-250 with a blown out case. But I like it and also have one of these American Predators in the cartridge. Hornady's factory 108 Gr. ELD ammo at $24/box appeals to me if I don't want to reload. I didn't see any 108 Gr. ELD 243 ammo out of the 51 products Grafs lists....or anything over 100 Grs for that matter.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
How much doe it weigh?

They make the standard American in 6mm CM w/ 7.7" twist?

Pretty awesome results here!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hit the range real quick today. I loaded up some Nosler 6mm, 105gr RDF's. Started on the lands and loaded them in sets of three. Backing off in .020 increments.

These two groups were the last two I shot at 100 yards. The further I backed off the tighter they grouped

2.740 left, 2.760 right. 2.740 was my last set. I'll load two more sets of three up and seat them at 2.730 and at 2.720 and see if they tighten up anymore.

[Linked Image]

Pretty good for any factory rifle! Guys spend a heck of a lot more on rifles that won't come close to that.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
How much doe it weigh?

They make the standard American in 6mm CM w/ 7.7" twist?

Pretty awesome results here!

22" inch mid weight barrel 6.6lbs. The barrel is slightly heavier than a sporter weight.

The standard American isn't listed in 6mm CM, but I'm sure it's on the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nrut

Bet you wouldn't have a 1-7.7 twist on your new #1 if Ruger hadn't come out with the 6mm Creed..

No doubt, but since they've got the mandrels now, the cat's out of the bag, and more may follow. I'd like to see the CR in a Hawkeye Predator.

What fresh Hell is this?
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Well I hit the range again today starting were I left off yesterday. My last load yesterday had shot well at a coal of 2.740. The 105gr Nosler RDF shot tighter the further I backed off the lands.

I shot three sets of three today. (3) 2.740 (3) 2.730 (3) 2.720

The rifle really likes the seating depth of 2.740 with the RL-17. I'm going to load a bunch of the 2.740 loads and go to the 300 yard line tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I also gave the 87gr V-max a try.

Then comes the heart breaker❤️!! I was hoping that the new Sierra 110gr MK would shoot in this rifle with the 1-7.7 twist. I have ran them through the paces just like I have the Nosler 105gr RDF.

With the Sierra 110gr Match King. I have tried the gauntlet of seating depths, with both RL-17 and H4350.

Bellow is the best the 110gr Sierra MK's have grouped out of this rifle.😬 they just won't shoot so far.

87gr V-Max top

110 MK bottom

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 02/25/17.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I also gave the 105gr Nosler RDF's a try with H4350. I started at 2.780 and backed off in .020 increments. With H4350 the 105gr RDF''s opened up the further I backed off the lands.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the updates on load development for the new rifle. Helluva shooter and your're making it hard for me to resist one.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So Heaven, you're saying that 8grains of bullet makes the CM a real killer. Haven't needed it in the last 40 years. Let's see...I'm going to trade in or sell my .243 that shoots 100gr bullets just fine for one that will shoot a bullet 8grains heavier. Doesn't make any sense to me and while I'm thinking about it 257...GFY! That's twice now you've been a smart ass and tried to belittle me in front of the fire. Won't work trying to intimidate me. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 02/25/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So Heaven, you're saying that 8grains of bullet makes the CM a real killer. Haven't needed it in the last 40 years. Let's see...I'm going to trade in or sell my .243 that shoots 100gr bullets just fine for one that will shoot a bullet 8grains heavier. Doesn't make any sense to me and while I'm thinking about it 257...GFY! That's twice now you've been a smart ass and tried to belittle me in front of the fire. Won't work trying to intimidate me. powdr

Ummm.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These Creedmoor rounds are where it's at. At least that's what my son keeps telling me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With the 243 being around almost as long as I have...

and been doing a fine job...

I am seeing no reason to get rid of them and go get one of these...

and for fast twist.. I have a 6mm Rem on a Long Action, and is throated for mag length loaded rounds...

guess everyone feels the need to reinvent the wheel...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

and for fast twist.. I have a 6mm Rem on a Long Action, and is throated for mag length loaded rounds...

Normally I'd agree with you but now I have no choice but to embrace the Creedmoor. My son is frustrated that I'm hesitant to jump on the Creedmoor bandwagon so he says he is buying me one. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

He's not the one making you look like an idiot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

What a idiot.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

How is it reinventing the wheel if you're not a old man and don't have a long action fast twist 6 rem? I think the OP just walked into a store and bought that rifle. Pretty sure that's the point to the whole thread.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

I bet he would have, Ruger had the 1:7.7 twist in a .243 Win Precision rifle a full year before they introduced the 6mm CM. I'd expect the 7.7 twist to trickle into all of Ruger's 6mm products.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I went for the fast-twist No.1 .243 for its other features, but the ability to play with long, pointy bullets is a bonus. For deer, I expect to use the same old 100gr NPs or Pro Hunters or maybe one of the 300 or so 90gr eTip blems I picked up. In the recent Handloader .243 article by Brian Pearce, he mentions that others have reported light varmint bullets going to pieces from the fast-twist tubes. I've seen that from pushing bullets too fast, but not from spinning them too fast.

The other advantage of the CR may be better barrel life, with its sharper shoulder and longer neck. Might be less prone to pressure "excursions" too. Maybe.

I'd love to have a nice 6mm, possibly the best 6 ever, but they're scarce. Might have to build one if I ever find myself with an extra Mauser in hand.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/26/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kaleb:

its not the rifle, I don't feel the need for.. its the round..some one necked up a 22.250, essentially necking the old 250 Savage to 6 mm... "new ideas" seem to sell, even if they were old ideas that have been around forever.. but hey, if someone thinks they need a 'new idea'....more power to them...

but I can't see anything the 6mm Creedmoor or the 6.5 version does anything the 243s and 260s won't do...

wasn't trying to undercut someone's choice.. more along the lines as I don't see the need for it..

but I'd rather hang around those that think we need cartridges and rifles, than a bunch of anti gunners any day.

and Pappy, I myself seem to be reaching for the 6mm and 22 calibers for most of my off season shooting needs...

I look at the Creedmoor vs the 243/260 debate the same way I'd look as if someone came out with the 222, and spouted off the improvements and value it offered over the 223.

but hey, I love Round Nose bullets.. so consider me Fred Flintstone old school...

you boys enjoy your new Creedmoors, until some other new fad hits the streets, and I'll keep using what has been working fine for eons...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kaleb:

its not the rifle, I don't feel the need for.. its the round..some one necked up a 22.250, essentially necking the old 250 Savage to 6 mm... "new ideas" seem to sell, even if they were old ideas that have been around forever.. but hey, if someone thinks they need a 'new idea'....more power to them...

but I can't see anything the 6mm Creedmoor or the 6.5 version does anything the 243s and 260s won't do...

wasn't trying to undercut someone's choice.. more along the lines as I don't see the need for it..

but I'd rather hang around those that think we need cartridges and rifles, than a bunch of anti gunners any day.

and Pappy, I myself seem to be reaching for the 6mm and 22 calibers for most of my off season shooting needs...

I look at the Creedmoor vs the 243/260 debate the same way I'd look as if someone came out with the 222, and spouted off the improvements and value it offered over the 223.

but hey, I love Round Nose bullets.. so consider me Fred Flintstone old school...

you boys enjoy your new Creedmoors, until some other new fad hits the streets, and I'll keep using what has been working fine for eons...

It's like BobinNH never died.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by taylorce1

I bet he would have, Ruger had the 1:7.7 twist in a .243 Win Precision rifle a full year before they introduced the 6mm CM. I'd expect the 7.7 twist to trickle into all of Ruger's 6mm products.

You are right, I forgot about that until a the day after I posted..

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by moosemike

Normally I'd agree with you but now I have no choice but to embrace the Creedmoor. My son is frustrated that I'm hesitant to jump on the Creedmoor bandwagon so he says he is buying me one. smile

Just hold your ground, stamp your feet and tell him NO!..
While grinning.. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will! wink

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Then comes the heart breaker❤️!! I was hoping that the new Sierra 110gr MK would shoot in this rifle with the 1-7.7 twist....Bellow is the best the 110gr Sierra MK's have grouped out of this rifle.😬 they just won't shoot so far.

110 MK bottom

[Linked Image]

So, do you think the 110s need a faster twist barrel?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damn that sucks they don't shoot.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Then comes the heart breaker❤️!! I was hoping that the new Sierra 110gr MK would shoot in this rifle with the 1-7.7 twist. I have ran them through the paces just like I have the Nosler 105gr RDF.

With the Sierra 110gr Match King. I have tried the gauntlet of seating depths, with both RL-17 and H4350.

Bellow is the best the 110gr Sierra MK's have grouped out of this rifle.😬 they just won't shoot so far.

That does suck! Totally different cartridge, powder and bullet but I didn't have the best luck with H4350 and 115 grain DTAC bullets in my old .243. RL22 and seating the bullet .130 off of the lands gave me the best accuracy in my seating depth tests, but .050 was a close second.

[Linked Image]

Maybe you just haven't found the right combo yet, but the way those 105's are shooting, I wonder if you should even bother.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can't complain about how well it shoots the 105 RDF's. When I have a little more time I'll give the Sierra 110's another try. Did a little shooting today with the Berger 87gr Hunting VLD. Only fired 5 but they came in under a inch at 100 yards. That shows some promise, I'll load a few more up at different seating depths. The RL-17 seems to be doing well as it did in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Swapped scopes on my 6mm Creedmoor, adjusted the trigger. Free floated the barrel channel, shortened the front action screw to allow me to torque the action screws to 80 inch pounds each. The front screw was a little long and protruded too far into the action and made contact with the bolt lugs when torqued to 80 inch pounds.

Zeroed it a little high at 100 yards. Shot several 1/2 inch groups. I then took it out to 200 yards. Slight breeze and a light rain. Shot the bottom target first, made a scope adjustment and shot the top target. Called it good for MOA of Rockchuck or Coyote. I have never owned a Bushnell 3200 elite. This is the 4-12, duplex adjustable objective model. I Personally didn't care for it. Guess I'll spring for a Leupold or Vortex for it.

If anyone is interested in the scope and ring combo (Warne steel rings). I'll sell the combo for $235.00 Shipped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
S
Do you have any updates for us SMACK? I've just pick one of these up for myself and am amazed by the accuracy with factory ammo. I'm shooting the Hornady 103gr ELD-X Precision Hunter incredibly well. And the velocity consistency is quite impressive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SPDRCER; 11/09/17. Reason: Added Pics
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action

some old fudds may not like it , but the Creedmoor case is not going to go away.....

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I really like the chambering! I like the 6.5 Creedmoor also. I have built fast twist .243's, 6mm Rem's and 6.5-284's over the years. When a guy has spent 30 plus years shooting and loading for everything he can get his hands on. The amount of money spent on custom rifles and dies is huge, it all adds up in a hurry. It makes me scratch my head at the thought of walking into a gun shop paying $389.00 for a rifle, 24.00 for a box of Hornady factory 108gr ELD-M's. Throwing a scope on it and its first 3 shot group is in the .3's, its first 5 shot group is in the low .5's and it shoots half MOA out to 300 yards in the first bench session! I have spent a bunch more with McMillan, Benchmark, GA Precision and many others to get that performance with tuned handloads. Other than fit, feel and quality of a custom rig, It almost makes a guy feel
Cheated! Almost... :)))

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action
<snip>..

Exactly. I wanted a 6mm/243, and did my homework first. The more modern 6CM won. Paying a bit more for brass has been the only negative so far

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like the chambering! I like the 6.5 Creedmoor also. I have built fast twist .243's, 6mm Rem's and 6.5-284's over the years. When a guy has spent 30 plus years shooting and loading for everything he can get his hands on. The amount of money spent on custom rifles and dies is huge, it all adds up in a hurry. It makes me scratch my head at the thought of walking into a gun shop paying $389.00 for a rifle, 24.00 for a box of Hornady factory 108gr ELD-M's. Throwing a scope on it and its first 3 shot group is in the .3's, its first 5 shot group is in the low .5's and it shoots half MOA out to 300 yards in the first bench session! I have spent a bunch more with McMillan, Benchmark, GA Precision and many others to get that performance with tuned handloads. Other than fit, feel and quality of a custom rig, It almost makes a guy feel
Cheated! Almost... :)))

It really is quite amazing. I couldn’t agree more with you

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

some old fudds may not like it , but the Creedmoor case is not going to go away.....

I'm as much of a fudd as anyone, but often the choice for me is determined by the rifles I want as much as by what they eat. When I saw the No.1 V .243s for sale at Whittakers for $879, it took about a minute to decide to put one on layaway and sell my perfectly good Hawkeye AW .243 to help with the purchase. Would've been the same if it had been a 6mm CM, or Remington for that matter. Already had .243 brass and dies, which helps, but wasn't a big factor. The bazillion 6mm bullets piled up on the bench; that's another matter, though the big box of 70gr Varmageddons looks like a wash since the long throat won't let me get near the rifling with those unless I'm okay with a very shallow grip on them.

Nothing wrong with new stuff; just has to be in a rifle I like. With Hornady's new stuff, I wouldn't be worried about them pulling the plug in a couple years either, unlike a couple others I can think of.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a 243 AI that I enjoy shooting.

However, my time is becoming pretty tight with 2 young children.

Things like reloading have taken a back seat, and will for a good many more years.

So the AI is going away in favor of the 6mm Creed. Sending the rifle off this week.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For hunting purposes they are obviously one in the same 243win/6mm creed. Neither makes a diff. As a reloader I have literally been given two 5 gallon buckets of once fired 243 over the past 5 years, doubt that will happen with a 6creed. Since my model seven 243 has consistently been a sub moa rifle to 300 yards( that's as far as I have ever shot it) and kills like a laser beam with 95nbt I won't be switching. If I was to have to pick a factory chambering between the two for long range target shooting and hunting though, the creed would win. I agree that no point in getting rid of a 243 that shoots well to buy the creed, but the creed does have its benefits for long range. If building a custom rifle the 243 wins in my opinion. Faster and more brass on the market. Plus you can AI the 243!

On another note I have a custom 6mmBR 700 action with a varmint profile barrel that will put either one of them to shame with varget and a 105vld goin 2838. The efficiency and accuracy of the BR is unmatched by the win and creed. Surprised it hasn't caught on since mag box is no constraint on the BR and the velocity is very close with much less powder.

I also have a custom 260, and love it too. It's a half MOA rifle. If I didn't reload I would have never considered the 260 though. For the average guy who doesn't reload or build customs, 6.5 creed wins hands down. The 260 can outrun the 6.5 creed all things considered equal, but it's a close race for sure

Remington screwed the pooch years ago, and Hornady has the best marketing group going. They have single handedly brought reliable long range performance to the average guy for affordable prices.

I plan on giving the bergara B14 HMR a try in 6.5 creed by the way. Seems like it would be a fun rifle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.