Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

wish I still had the one I used to own.....

this is F/S in TX at a shop for $320 + ship

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yes, I do. I dont care how old those get they are still plastic. This gun was ahead of the times, not in a good way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still have mine. It's 100% reliable and very accurate. Still my favorite .22 rifle out of all the ones I've owned.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had at least one of these since Santa brought me my first one on Christmas Day 51 years ago. That rifle has gone through a couple different scopes and has proved that mounting a scope on the non-structural receiver cover is a sub-optimal solution. Still, it has easily had 10K rounds through it and the only time it failed to fire/cycle/repeat was when I tried to feed it some Russian "Junior" steel cased ammo that had some sort of greasy/waxy lubricant on it.

I currently have two Remington Nylon 66s, the original and one that I bought on here in 2008, plus a couple of the CBC/FIE Brazilian-made Nylon .22s that my kids occasionally shoot.

Thanks for bringing back good memories about the Nylon 66. If I think hard, I can picture myself with that first Nylon 66 slung over my back as I cruised snowmobile trails and abandon roads all over Cornish, Grantham, and Plainfield, NH, on my trusty Honda 1970 CT-90.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I remember way way back at a YMCA camp they had these. They had the S**t shot out of them and they always kept going. Spent all of my camp money on ammo..

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the lever action version, fun to shoot once in a while

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger

I had a Nylon 76 for awhile, but somebody wanted to give me about 4x what I paid for it and since I didn't have any particular attachment to it, I let it go down the road.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
never owned one. shot one belonging to a relative
back in the 70's at one time.

jmho- i couldn't give that asking price unless that
was the total for 3 guns or 1 gun and a pallet of ammo.
i'd be hard pressed to find that much sentimental value
in one, and if i did it sure wouldn't be for sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a nice used one back in the early '80s for $50 just to satisfy my curiosity. Sold it about a year later for $50. Just didn't appeal to me despite the tough-as-nails rep. That plastic trigger just felt weird. Would much prefer a synthetic 10/22, even if you can't run over them with your car.

My brother had one of the Nylon 12s, I believe, a tube-fed bolt action with a very similar stock to the 66.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/04/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the AK of 22's. shoot it until it stops ejecting and then pour hoppes through it until the stock starts to melt and then continue shooting. i have probably put 100k rounds through various models of those POS guns. a kid gave me one about 40 years ago that had a slightly bent barrel and a big jagged crack in the stock. had to do a little kentucky windage on it but it was minute of popcan. when i went in the service i gave it to another guy who used it for a trapline gun.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
the AK of 22's. shoot it until it stops ejecting and then pour hoppes through it until the stock starts to melt and then continue shooting. i have probably put 100k rounds through various models of those POS guns. a kid gave me one about 40 years ago that had a slightly bent barrel and a big jagged crack in the stock. had to do a little kentucky windage on it but it was minute of popcan. when i went in the service i gave it to another guy who used it for a trapline gun.

Why would you spend the $$ to buy 100K of .22 LR ammo to shoot through a rifle that you consider a POS?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Remington has put out a couple of POS in an attempt to replace the 66. I bet that if they started making them again they would sell like hotcakes.
I have owned at least a half-dozen and every time I sell one I regret it. They are not the most accurate, the trigger is only so-so and there is not much that can be done to make it better but they just keep on working and thinks down-range just keep on dying.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A now deceased uncle of mine had a Nylon 66. He was really big into 'coon hunting. Said the 66 was his all-time favorite .22cal rifle for that purpose as it was light to carry, accurate enough, and, except for dud rounds, always worked for him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never owned one, never shot one, and never wanted one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by joken2

A now deceased uncle of mine had a Nylon 66. He was really big into 'coon hunting. Said the 66 was his all-time favorite .22cal rifle for that purpose as it was light to carry, accurate enough, and, except for dud rounds, always worked for him.

My favorite uncle and his hunting buddy wore out/broke FOUR of them while coon hunting.

Once, they got mud in the barrel and bulged it out, Remington replaced it, and two others got snapped when the horses ran a sapling or tree limb between buttstock and horse, Remington replaced those two, also.

Gilbert was still on his fourth 66 when he passed away last summer, at age 91. He loved 'em. If the ammo was good, it was reliable, period. He never scoped them, just thru them in the scabbard and loosed the hounds and went after the coons.
Back in the '60s and '70s, he made enough money off coonhides to buy a '73 Chevy Nova for my girl cousin to drive to college. That's a LOT of coon hides.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up using the black version. When I was in college back in the late 80's I stumbled on the brown version. I bought it for my dad. We killed hundreds of rabbits using that black little rifle. Like others have said, that little rifle never failed to feed ammo through it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I had one for a few weeks and traded it. I am a lefty and that thing powder burned my face on every shot. Couldn't wait to be rid of it. The flinch it gave me stayed longer than the rifle did.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not only do I remember, but Ive got one..

Installed the " Red Dot of Doom" and use it for rolling in hot on fresh gopher fields...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by joken2

My favorite uncle and his hunting buddy wore out/broke FOUR of them while coon hunting.

Once, they got mud in the barrel and bulged it out, Remington replaced it, and two others got snapped when the horses ran a sapling or tree limb between buttstock and horse, Remington replaced those two, also.

Gilbert was still on his fourth 66 when he passed away last summer, at age 91. He loved 'em. If the ammo was good, it was reliable, period. He never scoped them, just thru them in the scabbard and loosed the hounds and went after the coons.
Back in the '60s and '70s, he made enough money off coonhides to buy a '73 Chevy Nova for my girl cousin to drive to college. That's a LOT of coon hides.

As far as I know my uncle still had and used his Nylon 66 for 'coon hunting up until he passed on. I don't know and never have asked but his wife, step-daughter or her husband may still have it.

I remember when 'coon hides were going for some pretty big money back in the mid-late '70s, and, yep, no doubt that car still cost a LOT of 'coon hides, even with as high as they were selling for back then. I've seen some of my uncles pictures of a good seasons catch of 'coon hides,... WOW!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have it twin in the safe down stairs

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My cousin donated one as a camp gun at one of our cabins. Haven't shot it yet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a black one, was the first firearm I paid for. After a few years, the trigger wouldn't reset and you would have to pull the bolt back after each shot. I couldn't figure it out so I gave it to a friend that let us shoot on his property. Don't know if he ever fixed it. I liked the rifle, but no way would I pay $300+ for one today.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Choice was one of those or a 10/22.
I got the latter.
Served me well for over a decade.
No complaints.
The plastic stuff has appreciated more in value.....my first 10/22 was just a standard walnut model.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Green one at LGS, over 4 IIRC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They’re like Remington 788’s, the cult status has elevated the prices beyond their intrinsic value as shooters. Not that I don’t like them, Remington stocks and pistol grips always felt pretty good to me and I enjoyed the one I had long ago. They were cool and new then, if they re-introduced them today I’m not sure how well they’d sell, plastic rifles that don’t look like an M4 are no longer that innovative.

Maybe if they didn’t have the Remington name on them holding them back they might do well... shocked

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I try not to remember that POS.
I saved my money and bought one when I was a kid. Worst jam matic ever built (next to their 1100).
I traded it to a kid at school for a Savage bolt action.
Every kid I knew that had one had the same problems. After a while you couldn't even give them away.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I had a Nylon 76 for awhile, but somebody wanted to give me about 4x what I paid for it and since I didn't have any particular attachment to it, I let it go down the road.
Smart man, sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cool looking, but to this day I still detest plastic on a firearm.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My safe is kinda littered with short stubby little pricks. I have tried to add each variation. The tube fed 66's I find far more reliable than the magazine fed 77 and Mohawk 10c.

One too many hobbies....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was at a big gun auction yesterday and watched a Nylon XX-Whatever bolt action smoothbore fetch $1000. I guess there were at least two guys in the crowd that knew what it was and wanted it. May have been a good price, I don't know. Frankly I never even knew they made the Nylon series in a bolt action too, I guess they did. That tells you how much attention I paid to Nylons back in the day. (Except the one's on girls legs. smile )

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/13/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine was a 77 with a clip.

Traded it to a buddy for an 870, he still has it, it's taught a bunch of kids to shoot.

I still have the 870, it's killed a bunch of birds.

We've both won, but I do kind of miss the Nylon.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv still got mine! bought it in 1972, 1st gun I ever bought, and worked for! iv shot a pickup load of critters with it! Yes the tube fed ones are the best, a Bolt action one sold for $550.00 at a gun store I like a few weeks ago!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son now has my dad's green one. It still shoots and works great, even on it's third generation of shooters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The only lever action Remington ever made. There is quite a premium on the Nylon 76 these days.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I still have my Mohawk Brown 66. Bought from TG&Y in 1971. Seems like I paid $71 out the door for it. First gun I ever bought.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
TG&Y, wow does that ever bring back memories.

Mine came from an OTASCO in '71 I think. Maybe early '72.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fourbore
Yes, I do. I dont care how old those get they are still plastic. This gun was ahead of the times, not in a good way.

My feeling also, but - whatever floats your boat.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one.....about $80-$90 IIRC.

A friends two boys took a shine to it so I gave it to them.

About fifteen years later I saw that they were back in vogue and fetching some pretty good money.

My life's story. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.