Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of replacing/supplementing my .308 with a Creed. Of course, online and mag reviews rarely complain and never give the pertinent info, although about every rifle tested seems quite accurate.

I'm looking to keep it under/about $1k.

I really want the new Tikka Superlite but none of the SW have them yet and I can't order online... frown

Don't want to play Kimber roulette so they're pretty much out...

Anyone have info on the Tikka CTR mag length and throat length vis-a-vis COAL (with the longer 140+ grainers)?

How about the Ruger FTW? Again mag length and throat?

I've been eyeballing a Ruger American Predator and wondering if I should just go 'cheap' from the get-go? They seem to get good marks for accuracy. Do they feed and hold up alright? Again, mag box length and throat? Is the box easily modifiable like the Tikka?
I don't want to have to add an aftermarket trigger and stock thus defeating the whole 'cheap' purpose.

Those are the three I've been eyeballing. Let me know your info and suggestions and why.

Also, not looking at 9+ lbs porkers so no RPR, Predators, target models, etc.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went with the American predator for now. They're available (or were) and cheap. And when Tikka comes out with the one you want, you can keep the Predator as your backup gun. Or sell it for maybe a small loss.

The American Predators are a no-brainer for me. I got one in 6.5 CM and just got one in 6mm CM as well. They just hit the shelves.

ETA: And your questions on mag length and throat in the Creed. They'll all be fine to shoot the 140's/148's. And they'll all be twisted right. That's the cool thing about the cartridge. That and the off-the-shelf cartridge accuracy.

Last edited by 257heaven; 02/05/17.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bergara B14 SW sells them and mine is sub moa. About 8lb scoped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does Tikka actually have firm plans to make a SL in 6.5 Creed and if so when?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by birdwacker

This would be my choice as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Bergara would be a good choice if you can like their stock. There's too much there for my taste.

LAW has a really nice platform, but it's price will be prohibitive...

I bought the Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. I like the egros a lot.
It's very accurate with the few factory loads I've run through it. I've taken a deer and an elk with it so far - a single shot apiece. Pretty sweet little rig! I tossed some black webbing paint on the stock and it looks great, kinda semi custom.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STS45

Its on the Sportsmans Warehouse page so who knows. If it shoots half as good a my SL 7/08 it would be a keeper.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps mag length/throat is moot?

Maybe they all shoot well with a jump? Usually I like to be able to at least have the option of smooching the lands but perhaps I need not worry.

I'll look at the B14.

A local shop has the Hunter but a) I thought it a little overpriced at $820 and b) I've heard too many problems on the Kimbers. I am a tinkerer at heart but I don't want to pay that kind of money (or more) for a rifle that may not even be put together properly from the start. If the Hunter and Montana were about $200 cheaper, I'd be more tempted.

The guy at SW has a Predator and really likes it. He said his friend bought 3 in Creed for himself and his two sons and all were exceptional shooters.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and the out of the box rifle that I like the best is the Vanguard2. For under $1K, you could buy a V2 and put it in your favorite style of McM stock.

On their website, Ruger is showing a non-cataloged special run of standard RARs, not the heavier predators, with desert sand color cerakote metal and a camo stock that look like a winner.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Howas any good?

Don't know much about them...

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gristle

Its on the Sportsmans Warehouse page so who knows. If it shoots half as good a my SL 7/08 it would be a keeper.

Got a link? I couldn't find it..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding the Howa 1500s, I hate the Hogue stocks, so I bought a currently style V2 take-off for mine and that made it a much better rifle for me. Whittaker's had the Howa 1500s priced at $330 awhile back, but I think that they sold out at that price.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Originally Posted by Gristle

Got a link? I couldn't find it..

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...tDetail/Rifles/prod99999046876/cat100003

When I talked to the guy at my SW he said it depends on when they make a batch and that I would have to order it and have it shipped to the store rather than them ordering one... crazy

Because it is 'unavailable online' I guess that means, for now, I gotta wait till one shows up in one of the stores...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a Browning x-Bolt Stalker in Sept 2016, scoped it and headed to the range with 2 different Hornady factory loads. 129gr Interlock and 143gr ELD.

After 1st shot adjusted scope, next 10 from each load could be covered by a quarter. Chose the 129gr for a November hunt, put the rifle in the safe and called it good. Nove came, and one shot, one buck. While many here don't care for Browning, I think they're just fine - great fit, finish and functionality.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I would echo what 7mm08fan said on my 6.5C X Bolt as well. Light, handy and accurate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Check out the Sauer 100. Its all the rifle the Tikka is and better fit and finish. 5 round flush magazine, externally adjustable trigger, uses Remington 700 scope mount spacing. $699 retail.
Can be found in Black synthetic or wood.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

+1 I like the feel and look of the Bergara B14

Had a American Predator in 6.5 when they first came out, it was very accurate right out of the box but I sold it here in classifieds last year because I could not warm up to the stock.

Last edited by old_willys; 02/05/17.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

+1 I like the feel and look of the Bergara B14

Had a American Predator in 6.5 when they first came out, it was very accurate right out of the box but I sold it here in classifieds last year because I could not warm up to the stock.

I put my RAR-P in a Boyds Heritage style laminated stock and although that change added a whole pound to the package, the improvement in handling and balance made it feel and fit better for me more than offset the added weight.

I shot a couple of deer with my RAR-P in 6.5 Creedmoor in November. One at over 300 yards and one under 50 yards. Both are in the freezer, except for some summer sausage that is going to be eaten while we watch football later today.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have owned a RAR-P in 6.5 Creed... as well as another in .260.... and was just shooting my .223 yesterday, it's the only one I still own. Like a few of the others, I couldn't warm up to the ergos and eventually felt a little limited by the whole package as it were. I'll suffer it on the .223...

As to the Tikka CTR... it's beknown to most around here that I'm a CTR fan. Mag box is 2.95"... and either the 6.5 or the .260 will kiss most anything and keep it in the box. I've owned several CTRs in .260 (my wife shoots one as her main hunting rig), and loaded for a bunch more. They all shoot pretty much everything well from 100gr TTSX to 143 ELD-X... and they're suppressor ready. For under a grand, they can't be beat. The only kink in the CTR is weight... but it ain't "Varmint" weight either.

You could also keep an eye out for one of the Rem. 700s in .260 with the 1-8" twist pipes... I see them every pop up every once in a while... you could stock/trigger to your liking, and that'd scratch your 6.5... if you're a handloader.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, the Glen Zanders Wholesale on-line dealers' catalog is showing seven (7) Remington 700 SPS in 260 with the 1-8" barrels on sale for $463.95. Zanders part number G84149.

This is the WHOLESALE price, so shipping and retail dealer margins will increase the final OTD price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.