Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of replacing/supplementing my .308 with a Creed. Of course, online and mag reviews rarely complain and never give the pertinent info, although about every rifle tested seems quite accurate.

I'm looking to keep it under/about $1k.

I really want the new Tikka Superlite but none of the SW have them yet and I can't order online... frown

Don't want to play Kimber roulette so they're pretty much out...

Anyone have info on the Tikka CTR mag length and throat length vis-a-vis COAL (with the longer 140+ grainers)?

How about the Ruger FTW? Again mag length and throat?

I've been eyeballing a Ruger American Predator and wondering if I should just go 'cheap' from the get-go? They seem to get good marks for accuracy. Do they feed and hold up alright? Again, mag box length and throat? Is the box easily modifiable like the Tikka?
I don't want to have to add an aftermarket trigger and stock thus defeating the whole 'cheap' purpose.

Those are the three I've been eyeballing. Let me know your info and suggestions and why.

Also, not looking at 9+ lbs porkers so no RPR, Predators, target models, etc.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went with the American predator for now. They're available (or were) and cheap. And when Tikka comes out with the one you want, you can keep the Predator as your backup gun. Or sell it for maybe a small loss.

The American Predators are a no-brainer for me. I got one in 6.5 CM and just got one in 6mm CM as well. They just hit the shelves.

ETA: And your questions on mag length and throat in the Creed. They'll all be fine to shoot the 140's/148's. And they'll all be twisted right. That's the cool thing about the cartridge. That and the off-the-shelf cartridge accuracy.

Last edited by 257heaven; 02/05/17.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bergara B14 SW sells them and mine is sub moa. About 8lb scoped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does Tikka actually have firm plans to make a SL in 6.5 Creed and if so when?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by birdwacker

This would be my choice as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Bergara would be a good choice if you can like their stock. There's too much there for my taste.

LAW has a really nice platform, but it's price will be prohibitive...

I bought the Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. I like the egros a lot.
It's very accurate with the few factory loads I've run through it. I've taken a deer and an elk with it so far - a single shot apiece. Pretty sweet little rig! I tossed some black webbing paint on the stock and it looks great, kinda semi custom.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STS45

Its on the Sportsmans Warehouse page so who knows. If it shoots half as good a my SL 7/08 it would be a keeper.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps mag length/throat is moot?

Maybe they all shoot well with a jump? Usually I like to be able to at least have the option of smooching the lands but perhaps I need not worry.

I'll look at the B14.

A local shop has the Hunter but a) I thought it a little overpriced at $820 and b) I've heard too many problems on the Kimbers. I am a tinkerer at heart but I don't want to pay that kind of money (or more) for a rifle that may not even be put together properly from the start. If the Hunter and Montana were about $200 cheaper, I'd be more tempted.

The guy at SW has a Predator and really likes it. He said his friend bought 3 in Creed for himself and his two sons and all were exceptional shooters.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and the out of the box rifle that I like the best is the Vanguard2. For under $1K, you could buy a V2 and put it in your favorite style of McM stock.

On their website, Ruger is showing a non-cataloged special run of standard RARs, not the heavier predators, with desert sand color cerakote metal and a camo stock that look like a winner.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Howas any good?

Don't know much about them...

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gristle

Its on the Sportsmans Warehouse page so who knows. If it shoots half as good a my SL 7/08 it would be a keeper.

Got a link? I couldn't find it..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding the Howa 1500s, I hate the Hogue stocks, so I bought a currently style V2 take-off for mine and that made it a much better rifle for me. Whittaker's had the Howa 1500s priced at $330 awhile back, but I think that they sold out at that price.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Originally Posted by Gristle

Got a link? I couldn't find it..

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...tDetail/Rifles/prod99999046876/cat100003

When I talked to the guy at my SW he said it depends on when they make a batch and that I would have to order it and have it shipped to the store rather than them ordering one... crazy

Because it is 'unavailable online' I guess that means, for now, I gotta wait till one shows up in one of the stores...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a Browning x-Bolt Stalker in Sept 2016, scoped it and headed to the range with 2 different Hornady factory loads. 129gr Interlock and 143gr ELD.

After 1st shot adjusted scope, next 10 from each load could be covered by a quarter. Chose the 129gr for a November hunt, put the rifle in the safe and called it good. Nove came, and one shot, one buck. While many here don't care for Browning, I think they're just fine - great fit, finish and functionality.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I would echo what 7mm08fan said on my 6.5C X Bolt as well. Light, handy and accurate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Check out the Sauer 100. Its all the rifle the Tikka is and better fit and finish. 5 round flush magazine, externally adjustable trigger, uses Remington 700 scope mount spacing. $699 retail.
Can be found in Black synthetic or wood.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

+1 I like the feel and look of the Bergara B14

Had a American Predator in 6.5 when they first came out, it was very accurate right out of the box but I sold it here in classifieds last year because I could not warm up to the stock.

Last edited by old_willys; 02/05/17.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

+1 I like the feel and look of the Bergara B14

Had a American Predator in 6.5 when they first came out, it was very accurate right out of the box but I sold it here in classifieds last year because I could not warm up to the stock.

I put my RAR-P in a Boyds Heritage style laminated stock and although that change added a whole pound to the package, the improvement in handling and balance made it feel and fit better for me more than offset the added weight.

I shot a couple of deer with my RAR-P in 6.5 Creedmoor in November. One at over 300 yards and one under 50 yards. Both are in the freezer, except for some summer sausage that is going to be eaten while we watch football later today.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have owned a RAR-P in 6.5 Creed... as well as another in .260.... and was just shooting my .223 yesterday, it's the only one I still own. Like a few of the others, I couldn't warm up to the ergos and eventually felt a little limited by the whole package as it were. I'll suffer it on the .223...

As to the Tikka CTR... it's beknown to most around here that I'm a CTR fan. Mag box is 2.95"... and either the 6.5 or the .260 will kiss most anything and keep it in the box. I've owned several CTRs in .260 (my wife shoots one as her main hunting rig), and loaded for a bunch more. They all shoot pretty much everything well from 100gr TTSX to 143 ELD-X... and they're suppressor ready. For under a grand, they can't be beat. The only kink in the CTR is weight... but it ain't "Varmint" weight either.

You could also keep an eye out for one of the Rem. 700s in .260 with the 1-8" twist pipes... I see them every pop up every once in a while... you could stock/trigger to your liking, and that'd scratch your 6.5... if you're a handloader.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, the Glen Zanders Wholesale on-line dealers' catalog is showing seven (7) Remington 700 SPS in 260 with the 1-8" barrels on sale for $463.95. Zanders part number G84149.

This is the WHOLESALE price, so shipping and retail dealer margins will increase the final OTD price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got to echo the CTR, absolutely fantastic rifle right out of the box

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want the Tikka SL, then wait for it. Just pre-order it and get the rest of the equipment needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Howas any good?

Don't know much about them...

I bought a Howa Alpine in 6.5 CM and it shoots

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Will the 6.5 CM work in a short action 700?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if remington thought it would work, don't you think they'd chamber one?........grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if remington thought it would work, don't you think they'd chamber one?........grin

When Freedom Group manufacturers make product related decisions all logic is suspended.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have two Savage Hunter Predator's, both shoot sub MOA. Just bought a Vanguard, haven't tried it yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am very excited for a 6.5 Creed Superlight and the stainless CTR is also really calling my name. Just checked out a CTR yesterday at Sportsmans and it was a sweet little package. Felt a lot lighter than 7.5 pounds too.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Remington is missing a lot of sales. They need to jump on the bandwagon.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor is an exceptionally good shooter. Don't know whether the FTW rifle would be the same, but I'd expect it to at least be very good. Brother has a RAR-P in 65 Creed. It's a good shooter, too, but the magazines for the Americans are poor at best.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I picked up the Vanguard S2 youth model for for 469 from Buds and dropped it in a B&C stock for 271 from Stockys...set of Remington Z2 alloy rings 10 bucks on sale at Midway and Minox 3-9x50 BDC for 129.99 from Camera land...879 invested, all up weights 7.5 lbs..First 3 shot group was less than .75

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several folk have mentioned a 6.5 Creed Tikka SL.

Why Creed instead of 260 on a long action? I guess it doesn't really matter one way or the other, just curious if if missing something.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm waiting for reviews of the FTW hunter, that thing has had my eye since it was released but haven't heard much on it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Several folk have mentioned a 6.5 Creed Tikka SL.

Why Creed instead of 260 on a long action? I guess it doesn't really matter one way or the other, just curious if if missing something.

Only reason I can think is if you don't reload. I should have a Tikka 260 delivered tomorrow. I'd rather do a 260 in the Tikka.

But what do I know....I have a Tikka SL .223. LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know you set the budget at 1k but I am really looking forward to hearing reports on the Barrett Fieldcraft rifle. Looks like it is done right from the get go!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh and chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor 1-8" twist among others.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The 6.5 Creed is a hell of a pig killer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where have I been???? Tikka is offering the CTR in a 24" tube, pretty cool

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
took a new kimber hunter 6.5 to the range this last weekend used 129 sst and some prime 130 gr ammo shot about moa, was 15 degrees and windy, so pretty happy to shoot about an inch for the first 10 down the tube in bad conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Kimber Montana in a Creedmoor would be real interesting. But I think my first one will be on an AR10.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Howa Alpine.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mojo,

The Howa ain't bad, but I recommend you reconsider the Kimber for the win. They're turning out some nice stuff these days.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote for the Ruger Hawkeye Predator, the FTW might also be another good one and it will be a bit lighter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Mojo,

The Howa ain't bad, but I recommend you reconsider the Kimber for the win. They're turning out some nice stuff these days.

Have you shot a Howa Alpine? Pretty slick little rifle. I'm loving mine.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been jonesing for a hunting rifle in 6.5CM ever since I started shooting an RPR in that caliber. I need a safety that locks the bolt on a hunting rifle, and wanted something light, so for me it came down to one of the Kimbers or a Howa Alpine. I could have gotten the Alpine locally for $900, but wanted the slightly longer threaded barrel of the Montana, so I ponied up the extra and bought one from Whittaker's.

My Montana with Talley lightweights, a VX3i 2.5-8x36 and 4+1 weighs right at or maybe a hair under under 6 lbs on my scale.

I've only been out to shoot it once and there was a little learning curve with a rifle this light, but it managed to turn in a 0.96" 5 shot group (4 into .48", with one opening the group up substantially) with 143gr Hornady precision hunter factory loads. I have high hopes for my handloads.

The only blemish on the Montana purchase at the moment is that it was sometimes failing to feed the first round of a full mag due to the rear of the case dropping 1/8" low and not getting picked up. Luckily a guy on another board explained that a common problem on the Montana's is the base of the spring sliding forward under compression, changing the geometry of the spring. If the spring is already a little weak, this change in position can reduce the upwards force on the rear of the cartridge allowing it to dip. I looked down in the bottom of the magazine portion of the stock, and sure enough, there were slide marks where the leading edge of the spring base has been shifting forward. An easy fix, but still a little frustrating.

I'm excited to try the Montana with my 7.62 Saker, even with the somewhat porky Saker on the end, the total weight should still be 7.25 lbs or so. I plan on eventually getting a Thunderbeast Ultra 7, and total weight with that setup would be 6.75 lbs or so... Very huntable.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/08/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 24" stainless CTR off gunbroker yesterday for $975 and shipping out today!

Looking forward to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MojoHand - "Howas any good? " In short - yes they are. My first experience with them goes back 30+ years when Smith & Wesson was importing them. It was a .308W w/ 24" parkerized heavy barrel 1:12 twist. Came in a hard wood stock, very plain vanilla. First rifle I owned that would place 3 rounds from surplus M118 ammo you could cover with a $.05 cold bore. HOWA's have been imported by a few folks (Mossberg, S&W etc.)over the years. Really good value for the $$$ spent. Fancier ones imported by Weatherby as Vanguards. Homesteader

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you like your 308? Why not just rebarrel?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I got a 24" stainless CTR off gunbroker yesterday for $975 and shipping out today!

Looking forward to it.

Keep us updated! I have been strongly considering the same one.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn't even know they were making 24" 6.5CM CTRs until I saw your post. I have one of the 20" .308 CTRs, and it's an amazingly accurate rifle, especially for the weight. A 6.5CM CTR with a bit more barrel is going to be a really sweet general use rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd take the 20" over the 24" all-day every day, especially if you're not a peasant and own a suppressor. My wife's 20" CTR .260 is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

It's a CTR (COMPACT Tactical Rifle).... if you go with the 24" pipe then it's just a TR... laffin...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I'd take the 20" over the 24" all-day every day, especially if you're not a peasant and own a suppressor. My wife's 20" CTR .260 is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

It's a CTR (COMPACT Tactical Rifle).... if you go with the 24" pipe then it's just a TR... laffin...

Haha I agree. But I am in peasant status still so I will keep the 24" barrel to try it out. If I hate the extra length or get a suppressor it I can always have it cut down and rethreaded easily. Can't weld on extra barrel length wink

So for now just going with a simple brake and the long barrel. Normally I am a short barrel fan as only one of my bolt action rifles aside from this CTR is longer than 21". Figure given my purpose of the rifle I will give a standard 24" barrel a try again wink

I will be dropping it in a chassis so I can adjust the LOP way down for my nieces and nephew to hunt and practice too. Figure a 10 pound all up Creedmor with a brake on it than I can fit to them should be pretty comfy for them to learn on and then me to extend the stock on and plink away myself.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Luckily they make a 6.5 CM in 20" guise as well, so the buyer has a few choices. Barrel length preferences are definitely going to depend on your needs and uses. I mostly use my RPR to shoot at the local long range, and at our range's PRS style shoots, that is also how I would use a 6.5CM CTR. In both of those situations, there are usually other shooters around, most of whom will not be using suppressors, so I have to wear ear pro any way you cut it. Because I'm wearing ear pro anyway, and the 6.5 isn't too loud out of my 24" barrel, I really don't usually bother using my suppressor at matches. This time of year especially, the wind up here in Wyoming is pretty ridiculous, and usually full value where I shoot, so I'll take the extra 75 fps to 100 fps from the 4 inches of extra barrel over a more compact rifle for my specific purpose. Hell, a few of the guys that were shooting .260's in our matches just went to 6mm Dashers with 28" barrels... That's a bit long for me, but 24" works out fine.

That said, if my situation were different such as I was able to shoot long distance on my own land or with one or two other people who were also using suppressors, or if I was shooting somewhere with less wind, then yeah I would probably be inclined take a shorter barrel and use a can all the time. I also love using a suppressor for hunting because I don't like to wear plugs while hunting, there's usually no on else with me, and the ringing after a shot is always a reminder that I just traded a little bit of my hearing for meat in the freezer... not a trade I'd like to make if I don't have to.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/08/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Mojo,

Have you shot a Howa Alpine? Pretty slick little rifle. I'm loving mine.

Have shot a number of Howa's/Vanguards but have only handled the Alpine. I handles great and I liked it but wish it was stainless like the Montanas.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Looking forward to it.

Keep us updated! I have been strongly considering the same one.

So far so good. But have only taken it to 750 yards so far.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool. Good shooting Luke! How are you liking the length?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.