Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of our trout streams used to have a season starting either 4th Saturday in April or Saturday of Memorial weekend and ending October 31. In the past 2-3 years, Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife has been extending the seasons to year around beyond the dams and above waterfalls where there are no anadromous fish runs. I'm curious about fly fishing in higher, but clear, cold water. Techniques, flies, wets vs drys vs nymphs, etc.

What can you tell me?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would check with the local fly shops.. Here the river is pretty much frozen, but where there is open water guys catch fish..
Farther north on this river There are several dams.. they feature open water year around.. My first try would be streamers, then wet flies or nymphs...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the winter our streams consist of dry matter (ice), but with a little thaw and not much lift in flow the locals can find some pretty nice trout. A few streams like the Crooked have some fall spawners that come up from the lakes giving one a pleasant size surprise.

Technique of choice around here (east side) is to pretty much ignore the aerated pocket water that one takes on in the spring/summer/fall months, and move to the deepest pools that at least exhibit some slight flow. Although not my favorite method, strike indicators and tiny sinking midges (like 18-22's) can dredge up some big fish. It's sort of like watching chrome rust as one's indicator floats through or around a pool, but the rewards are there. Not much in the way of aerial combat with low water temps, so small hooks can hold if one's not too aggressive at hauling them in.

On the west side coastal streams, I used to go after sea run cuts in late Feb/March/April using damned near anything one wanted to swing. Mostly across and down presentations with a floater line. My buddy would toss all kinds of Vegas showgirl patterns while I went to more traditional hare's ears, streamers with a little flash, and sculpin patterns. Despite the disparities, we each beached about the same numbers. Once in a while one gets surprised by a steelhead or two. Makes for a good time on trout gear.

And yes, the nearest fly shop will usually have some good info.

Tight lines and good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 02/06/17.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good advice 1 minute. It's kind of slow fishing but it's not crowded either. grin

If you get one of those suddenly sunny 50 degree afternoons we almost always get a hatch of small (18-20) little black stoneflies. The best fly I've used for those is actually a CDC emerger.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks!

I don't know if I've tried anything smaller than about a 16, mostly 14s. What "weight" leader do you use for the very small flies? Do you need to match the fly size or just water clarity?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't do the X's stuff but mostly 2 to 4 lb breaking strength.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as 1minute suggested midges and light tippet and long leaders.
I have good luck with zebra midge in 20 to 22, on top griffith's gnat in 20.

I tie up a soft hackle zebra midge in 18 -22 and will cast quartering down stream and swing it. Explosive strikes

Serendipity in 20 22 too works,

I have found fast rods using small flies and light tippet equals a lot of break offs especially in the hook set. I use a soft rod for winter fishing.

Another successful method is to throw big streamers and sink tips and swing them into deep holes, under cuts, logs for big fish. I stack my line to gain depth

oh as pugs mentioned get tiny black stone fly hatch too

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
here's a few winter fish i picked up swinging big leech patterns and soft hackle midges

early spring
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

have even picked up steelhead

Last edited by ribka; 02/11/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice...

Molon Labe
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I run alot of nymph patterns, freshwater schrimp types, orange, pink, green, grey colors. Streamers, leech patterns, various colors, mostly black, brown, green. In Wyoming, I don't do any fly fishing in Jan, because its dead month to me, from previous experiences. I don't do any topwater dry flies until way into April. One thing about really cold conditions/water, I find I can stay in one area and work it longer, because the fish don't move around much. I gotta drop whatever I'm fishing right in front of their noses.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.