Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tejano
"I disagree on the shotgun in the tent."

We had the really stubby Mossberg Riot guns or alley clearer as we called it. Came real close to using it while still in the bag with a bear 30 feet from me at night. We were camping cold no tent and the only bare ground was a bear trail. Fortunately one of the dogs ran the bear off before I had to shoot. One with a light mounted on it would have been the ticket in that situation. A friend had his 44 drawn and pointed at the bear but he was shaking like Barney Fife I told him don't shoot we may need every bullet we have. If he had gut shot the bear there probably would have been two or three dead fishing guides.

You said tent or night. I didn't argue the night part, just the tent... Gut shot bears kill multiple fishing guides?

Heads are more important than guns generally speaking. Thats what gets you out without shooting most times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I think that while I haven't used it, there is a difference between a 44 Mag with full house loads and a 500SW. Nobody has done terminal ballistics study of 700 Grain Underwood factory 500 SW ammo. My view is why the hell not!

Muzzle Energy: 2238 ft. lbs. for 700 Grain Underwood.

Energy: 833 ft/lbs from 7.5” barrel= 44 Mag Garrett hammerhead 325 grain bear loads.

500 SW in chest holster while packing meat is good insurance.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The real question is can you stand ur ground during a charge , retreive ur weapon and put a round where it needs to be, placement being the most critical

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I think that while I haven't used it, there is a difference between a 44 Mag with full house loads and a 500SW. Nobody has done terminal ballistics study of 700 Grain Underwood factory 500 SW ammo. My view is why the hell not!

Muzzle Energy: 2238 ft. lbs. for 700 Grain Underwood.

Energy: 833 ft/lbs from 7.5” barrel= 44 Mag Garrett hammerhead 325 grain bear loads.

500 SW in chest holster while packing meat is good insurance.

I've tested 700 grain handloads (using Ranger Rick's 700 grain bullet and it looks like Underwood is using one of their molds) and they were an abject failure. Too much of a good thing. In wet pack they wouldn't track straight.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could care less how much muzzle energy a handgun round has. All I want to know is, (A) can I shoot it accurately, and (B) if properly placed, will it penetrate straight and deep enough to stop the critter? Odds are, if a handgun round is so powerful that it can shock a bear to death(whatever that means), there's no way that I could stand practicing with it often enough to make reliable hits with it. JMO/YMMV. For folks that can shoot the hand cannons quickly and accurately, go for it, you have my respect!

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i have a s&w 500, got it several yrs ago. have never shot it.

Bought mine on a lark, shortly after they were introduced, about 13 years ago? It's been a range toy only, so big and heavy...

But fun to shoot! And surprisingly accurate. I put a few rounds through it every year, only haul it out now and again. Thought about it for bear, but it's awfully big & heavy.

Five, 440 grain bullets is kinda cool though. smile

Guy

Sounds like me. I goty mine when they first came out, just because. It's fun to shoot (sort of, for a couple of cylinders full) amazingly accurate at long range. As far as hunting, you may as well be carrying a small rifle. As far as bear protection (a topic in which I am a keyboard expert only) I would prefer my 627 Smith with 8 manageable 180 grain penetrators on board and go for the CNS hit.)
mines still new in the plastic case it came in.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

I've tested 700 grain handloads (using Ranger Rick's 700 grain bullet and it looks like Underwood is using one of their molds) and they were an abject failure. Too much of a good thing. In wet pack they wouldn't track straight.

I wonder how they work in animal tissue? This is interesting. The owner of http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Default.aspx?tabid=252105
said the same thing about his product.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

Mr. Phil done good. Had it been me I'd of sure been firing away but the ground around me might of got too slick to keep standing. Can't help but wonder if he had time to think "Sure glad I didn't bring a bigger gun". grins

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Tejano
As the AK guys said while hunting your rifle is best. I packed a pistol some but when slogging through muskeg it would slow me down and make my hips hurt. Good for the tent or late night latrine visits but otherwise just a boat anchor. If you do bring it definitely a shoulder holster is the way to go.

A shotgun with slugs and 00 buck is better in the tent or at night. Also much better for Ptarmigan and Snowshoes.

Make sure you don't have a layover in Canada as the pistol will be a pain to clear.

I disagree on the shotgun in the tent. Unless you have an awful big tent... The handguns lay at our head area at night... shotgun would be a 2 handed struggle while getting out of a sleeping bag... nope.

I'm not against em other wise, though if I"m carrying that much weight, its going to be a centerfire rifle with some extra umph behind it and a GOOD bullet...

My revolver stays buttoned up in the sleeping bag with me. Now if I have to shoot through the bag, all that H-110 is going to burn a rather large hole in it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.