Hop To
B
Buzzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Howdy everyone,
I've signed up for my first hunt in the NWT with MMO. I'll be hunting Mt. Caribou in late September with Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters. I'm looking for suggestions on required gear or gear that should stay at home. Also info on the cheapest way to get to Norman Wells and suggestions or ways folks have gotten their trophies home. If I'm lucky enough to get a nice Caribou I'd probably get a Euro mount as I'm out of room for a shoulder mount. Any recommendations on taxidermists in Edmonton would be awesome.

I'm sure Stan will have plenty of info but I like to seek input from other hunters who have made the trek in the past. Thanks in advance for the info.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hunted with MMO in 2010 on a sheep/ moose/ caribou hunt-- flight options are limited or at least they were- Overnight in Edmonton- then crack of dawn flight to Norman Wells, then approx 30 min Twin Otter flight out to his camp- you will have to overnight in Edmonton on the way back as well I Believe. If I recall correctly the later Caribou hunts usually have much colder temps and more snow- as far as trophies, I brought all mine back with me- placed all 4 salted capes in duffel bags and split the skulls on antlered beasts....a few of the guys who shot B&C critters sent whole horns back...no problems all the way home. -- had to pick them up at the air cargo on arrival at edmonton though.

You will have a great time. If you plan on bringing your caribou back with you take a roll of duck tape- all the points will have to be covered with cardboard to fly.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spending a week or two in a bush camp in cold weather means you are going to be living in your unwashed underwear and without a shower longer than you would normally consider doing. Nothing works as well as marino wool undergarments and shirts in those conditions. Synthetics are Ok for a couple ays, then they'll smell so bad you won't be able to stand your aroma. Smartwool, Icebreaker, etc. are worth the extra money they cost IMHO. I've done a couple of very long distance backpacking trips in the last 3 years, and have become a true believer in merino wool based on those experiences.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second the merino wool suggestion, I like Icebreaker merino wool from head to toe. Down is nice for if it gets really cold, good rain gear to keep you dry and cut the wind.

Gerry.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
better to check with your outfitter:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sahtu-secretariat-ram-head-outfitters-1.3938613

seems Stan returned all deposit at least on canadian writer is saying so... what about you?

other than that merino is the answer.

Last edited by yukonphil; 01/26/17.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted moose/caribou with Stan a few years back and it was super. Beautiful flights and territory. One disapoitment was you are on your own once return ro oan Wells aa to preparing your hides and antlers for your return flight. May have improved but it was a pPITA when I went.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ram Head is not MMO and I have not heard MMO was ouy of business?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Sorry for the confusion Ram head has been sold Stan Simpson was the Stan i mentionned.

the confusion came from Mckenzie Mountains from the new outfitter.

http://www.ramheadoutfitters.com/about.html

sorry.

Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
519 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.