Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What is the best way to get to Windhoek? Has anyone connected through Frankfurt? Is it possible to lay over in Germany for a extra day or two on either the way over or the way back or is that a problem if traveling with firearms?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I found Lufthansa out of Chicago direct to Frankfurt and the Air Namibia to Windhoek was very comfortable and trouble-free.

I wondered about AN on booking but found the newest, cleanest planes with old world service -- very good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not sure what is "best" but fares vary so much you just about have to check with a professional. I recommend Steve Turner at Travel with Guns.

Air Namibia now charges for firearms and Frankfurt has required permits for transit. The Frankfurt route was my favorite, but the last few years it hasn't been competitive on price.

This June we are taking KLM. Long layover in Amsterdam and a stop in Luanda, but direct to Windhoek. Most airlines go through JNB, with its attending permits, overnighting and SAA foolishness.

Also, Air Namibia has signed baggage agreements that will allow their partnering with more airlines. Singapore Airlines was mentioned.

Give Steve a call or email and let him give you some options!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 to Travel With Guns. I personally do not trust Air Namibia after last year, but it could have been an isolated incident.

Oh yeah....I HATE J'burg airport.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have traveled different routes. The Frankfort route is a good option but I believe that I will not be flying Air Namibia anymore. They do not have enough airplanes that are capable of flying to Europe, and consequently cancel too many flights for my comfort. I think they bought a second long distance airplane, but they used to have only one. I get an uneasy feeling when the PH calls the airline on the day of departure to see if they are "flying today".

Johannesburg airport can be a big pain but that is the way I go now. I stop off at Africa Sky guesthouse for some rest and good food before continuing my journey to Namibia, Botswana, etc. Travel is often very tiring and I do not like to start a hunt jetlagged.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the informations. At DSC, one outfitter mentioned either UAE or Qatar but I don't remember which airline as a option to Namibia as well?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To Namibia, I would fly in a jet aircraft.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Seriously, which city are you departing from?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
IIRC, both EMirates and Qatar airways fly there via Dubai and Doha respectively. Both airlines are far superior to SAA, Delta, Lufthansa. Air NAmibia is simply a non starter unless you like cancelled flights.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Turkish and Air Namibia just announced a code share agreement.

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/...in-forces-to-open-africa-travel-20170207

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In regard to the posts following my initial one I should have said I last went in 2007. Apparently, things have changed.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If possible, I would try and avoid Air Namibia and SAA. While I have not flown Air Namibia since 2009 (relatively good experience), I have grown suspect of their inconsistencies and cancellations. Add to that, the fee for carrying firearms and I pretty much crossed AN off my list.

The KLM flight sounded like a good alternative but the Dutch, like the Germans, also require a transit permit when traveling with firearms. What really scared me away from KLM was that stop in Angola. It sounds like you do not get off the aircraft but I think I will pass on this route.

Look at Condor Air. They also fly direct to Windhoek from Frankfurt although not as frequently as Air Namibia. I used them last fall and was quite impressed - timely service, attentive on-board staff, and nice clean aircraft (they use Boeing 767's for this flight). I did not travel with a rifle but their firearms/ammunition policies are standard for the industry. They also have a baggage (inter-lining) agreement in place with Lufthansa. I am considering another hunt in Namibia this year and would use Condor again without hesitation.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
E
E
Originally Posted by duckster
What is the best way to get to Windhoek? Has anyone connected through Frankfurt? Is it possible to lay over in Germany for a extra day or two on either the way over or the way back or is that a problem if traveling with firearms?

We flew Condor connected in Frankfurt.Prices were more than decent and it was quite comfortable.
We stayed extra days both going and coming. We stayed a week on the way out visiting friends in Denmark and an extra day on the way back.
German customs was pleasant to deal with, as far as leaving the rifles with them.

Condor itself was a giant cluster as far as the firearms went and it took literally hours of extra time to get the rifles back on the plane (dad is a native German speaker)YMMV but any issues will likely be with the airline itself not Customs.

This was 2015.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of luck with your trip.

This thread, truncated on the home page, says "Best way to fly to Nam".

Gives me a start every time I see it. In my day there was NO good way to fly to Nam (Viet Nam)......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In 2012, I flew Atlanta to Joberg, non stop on Delta. Business class was quite comfortable. Then I overnighted at the Joberg Airport and flew South African to Windhoek. This is my preferred routing.

In 2009, I flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt, laid over for about eight hours and then on to Joberg. Upon arrival in Joberg, I discovered my luggage was still in Frankfurt. My luggage was delivered to camp three days later. This was in First Class, mind you. Flights were extremely comfortable, but I would not fly through Europe again with firearms. YMMV.

This year, I'm trying Qatar Airlines. Will let you know how it works out.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Leaving from Omaha

I have flown the direct Atlanta to JBerg. Don't really want that long flight again. Looking to break it up more halfway

Last edited by duckster; 02/09/17.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Will you be taking firearms or renting? If you are not dealing with travel with firearms it would be easy to set up a pleasant stop in Europe and adjust to the time change before continuing the journey.

I am fairly sure that I will not be taking my own firearms anymore if the outfitter has good ones to rent. A day or two in London or Paris would really break up the trip.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
One of the places has firearms to rent, $40/day and $10 per round. Seems sort of pricey to me

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ask Steve at Travel With Guns.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recently booked my flights to Windhoek. I'm flying out of JFK in New York on SAA non stop to Joberg then on to Windhoek. The NY flight leaves at 11:15 AM and arrives in Joberg at 8:05 AM. You have plenty of time to make your connection on SAA to Windhoek without any overnight in RSA which eliminates the problems with SAPS. I'll be arriving in Namibia at 2:10 PM,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.