Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
....for anyone named bob.
I have always wanted to hunt 'the northern woods.' A fellow campfire member graciously offered to take me hunting with him in Wisconsin. Due to helth reasons, I was hesitant to go. Another reason, was the expense of the clothes I might need. I could see spending $500-$750 on clothes that I have little need for. I have never hunted in snow. Only once have I hunted when it stayed below freezing all day. That night it got into the teens. Most of our cold days are a little frost in the mornings up to mid fifties by mid afternoon.
I am 69 and no longer interested in hard trecks and freezing my ### off. I prefer to sit in some comfort, watch the sun come up, enjoy nature and perhaps get a shot at a deer. I am wondering if there are any reasonable hunting operations in these states that offer heated blinds, where I might hunt? I'm not particularly interested in a trophy, but would like a chance at a doe at least. A trip such as this, in Texas, would cost around $300+- per day lodging and meals, with a kill fee of $200-$300. With the lack of public land in Texas and lots in the northern states, I know our thoughts are different in some aspects of hunting and this may not be available. If it is, help finding such will be appreciated. Thanks captdavid
BTW, rifle only

Last edited by captdavid; 02/07/17.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even enjoy hunting if it gets up to 50°. Hunting weather to me is in the 20-45° range.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not "Northern", but this place is located on the Piedmont area of SC, and looks to have some nice hardwoods. Ought to be pretty warm, and the prices are very reasonable. I've kept this bookmarked for a couple of years, just in case.

http://clintonhouse.com/deer-hunting-2/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You're looking for a heated blind, No problem, Wisconsin has those.

You want to fly from Texas to WI to shoot a doe? You can do that.

Flights, outfitter and such will be at least 3K to start.

What's reasonable to you?

Could you be a little more specific in what your after, in the "Northern woods"?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
I don't even enjoy hunting if it gets up to 50°. Hunting weather to me is in the 20-45° range.

+1.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy getting out a couple of times in soft, fresh snow, bitter cold, and still air, even if it's just to sit and watch the woods, or track critters around to see what they're up to. Snow has been rare during deer season of late, although I did take a doe with a muzzleloader in a driving "wintry mix" a few years back, and had to drag her about a mile to my car. Great fun!

Back in the '80s, my brother and I spent an entire day out in the woods near Gettysburg trying to get a doe. The temperature barely cracked the teens, and the wind howled like a demon all day. We were wearing pretty much everything we owned, froze our azzes off, and saw not a hair.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am not aware of any deer outfitters in NH, I think there's some in Maine. Further north you go, the deer get more spread out and harder to find, so hunting tends to be tracking over sitting. Deer do get bigger though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
captdavid,

If you make it to WI, I can set you up with some warm clothing.
A popup blind and a little propane heater will be all you need to stay toasty and I could probably set you up there too.

It's not uncommon for temps to be in the 40's and 50's during our November gun season either - but could also be in the single digits. grin

I'd take the fellow campfire member up on his offer - especially if it'll only cost you transportation and the dirt-cheap nonresident tag. (compared to many states)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Northern MN checking in...

Were in a panic about processing the deer right away when it hits even in the mid-30's!

There is an outfit near my hometown name mosquito creek outfitters that supposedly rents heated stands. There website wasn't up the last time I checked.

The unique thing about them is you could say you hunted north of the Mississippi river headwaters.

You dont need to spend $700 on clothing, but buying good boots is worth it.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know of any here in Maine but I hope you find what you are looking for.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Moose, to me it's lows around 40 high around 60. I've never actually deer hunted in shorts, but have worn them in midday. Where I live we have a lot of winter Texans. I've seen them wearing shorts while the natives are wearing scarves and gloves.

Kenneth, I expect to pay $500 for a flight. And hope no more than $300-$350 per day to hunt. Hopefully I can do this For $1500 or so. It's more than just the hunt.I'm interested in the experience of doing something I've never done before. I would love to shoot a buck, but would expect to see and shoot at least a doe. I would also love to hunt in the snow, as long I'm in a cozy blind. Is kinda like the ice fishing in "Grumpy old men". I would love to do that too, as long as I'm in a cabin and not freezing on a five gallon bucket! Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
New wool pants = $80
Wool shirt = $50
Wool socks =$ 12
Blaze orange vest and hat = $25

Much cheaper than $750. I'm not sure how you came up with that.
MN has screwed up deer seasons. Unless you hunt the southern farm lands, you probably won't be able to shoot a doe.

Wi probably has more outfitters and is more hunter friendly. Between MN and WI anyway.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What size are you? Have tons of extra stuff. Mail it back when done....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always hope for snow opening gun. This year's first day was near 60F through the night. Woke up 4AM next day to 1 1/2' of snow!

Sometimes we get snow during bow too.

Much easier to spot deer even if they stand completely still.

-Ken

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tzone
New wool pants = $80
Wool shirt = $50
Wool socks =$ 12
Blaze orange vest and hat = $25

Much cheaper than $750. I'm not sure how you came up with that.
MN has screwed up deer seasons. Unless you hunt the southern farm lands, you probably won't be able to shoot a doe.

Wi probably has more outfitters and is more hunter friendly. Between MN and WI anyway.

I've never had a problem getting a tag in 184. We saw a lot of 1.5 year olds last season

He could always creep around itasca state park for a different experience.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is just a suggestion but you might be able to work out a deal with a hunter up here that would welcome you along at no cost but they have you pay for the blind. I know that I would welcome you along and set up the blind if you paid for it (and I got to keep it). I think a lot of property owners up north would love a blind on their land but don't want to spend the $800+ on one.

The reason I said I "would" welcome you instead of offering is because my facilities are not up to par.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I live in MD, have a farm in WV and friends in PA. Sitting on stand the view is the same. A couple years ago I went on a pig hunt in SC. View was much the same, a little flatter. Our outfitter has deer hunts in the fall, lots of nice bucks. He has an 8 point limit with 15" spread. I guess if the rack is to the ears it's OK. On a deer hunt he fixes 2 meals a day. Nice bunk house with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, sleeps 5, great room and kitchen. On a deer hunt you can shoot all the pigs, coyotes, and bob cats you want free. You would need some buddies to fill the bunk house or get on the list to fill in with strangers. We did that one year, another party had 2 drop out and my buddy and I filled in. Was no problem, you don't hunt with them.

Check out Waccamah Hunting Services. Rick is a great guy and has won several outfitters awards, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems to me that sitting in a heated blind isn't really a true "Northern woods" experience. There are many thousands of acres of State and NYC DEP reservoir lands that can be hunted for free here in NY's Catskill range. You could stay at a motel and hunt to your hearts content but construction of permanent stands or blinds is forbidden. Still hunting or tracking will keep you warm and would be more of a true Northern woods experience. If that is out of the question you could set up a portable blind and stuff your clothing with body/hand/foot warmers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Seems to me that sitting in a heated blind isn't really a true "Northern woods" experience. There are many thousands of acres of State and NYC DEP reservoir lands that can be hunted for free here in NY's Catskill range. You could stay at a motel and hunt to your hearts content but construction of permanent stands or blinds is forbidden. Still hunting or tracking will keep you warm and would be more of a true Northern woods experience.

+1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by captdavid

I have always wanted to hunt 'the northern woods.' A fellow campfire member graciously offered to take me hunting with him in Wisconsin. Due to helth reasons, I was hesitant to go.
I am 69 and no longer interested in hard trecks and freezing my ### off. I prefer to sit in some comfort, watch the sun come up, enjoy nature and perhaps get a shot at a deer.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 43 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.