Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've shot 1911 and really like their trigger. I'm looking at polymer striker fired pistols in 9mm but I guess my "hang up" is their triggers kinda suck (or perhaps I'm spoiled by the 1911 trigger?)

A long time ago I did have an H&K P2000 in 9mm and did not like having two different trigger pulls with their DA/SA. Also the trigger reach was really long for me. Plus for some reason, the pistol seemed very snappy for a 9mm. I was surprised that a 1911 45acp was much more pleasant to shoot. The recoil felt milder, less snappy.

I also shot my friends XD 9mm compact. The recoil only felt slightly less than my 1911. The trigger felt "mushy"

To add insult to inquiry, the handgun has to southpaw friendly as I'm a lefty.

I'm looking at M&P 9mm as it seems the most southpaw friendly with many ambi controls. I was thinking of perhaps getting it with a thumb safety since I'm coming from a 1911. Is this silly?

I heard the trigger sucks on them. Smith & Wesson customer service said that I'd void the warranty if I put an apex trigger in it. But if it significantly improves the trigger, I'm for it.

I'm open to other considerations as well. Thank you for your help!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like the 1911 why not stick with it? The HK VP series and the Walther tend to have better triggers than most. Truthfully, the difference between all the poly triggers isn't enough to get worked up over, especially if you can shoot well in general.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With Glocks and S&W's there are many trigger options and you can get some pretty light triggers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by leomort
I've shot 1911 and really like their trigger. I'm looking at polymer striker fired pistols in 9mm but I guess my "hang up" is their triggers kinda suck (or perhaps I'm spoiled by the 1911 trigger?)

A long time ago I did have an H&K P2000 in 9mm and did not like having two different trigger pulls with their DA/SA. Also the trigger reach was really long for me. Plus for some reason, the pistol seemed very snappy for a 9mm. I was surprised that a 1911 45acp was much more pleasant to shoot. The recoil felt milder, less snappy.

I also shot my friends XD 9mm compact. The recoil only felt slightly less than my 1911. The trigger felt "mushy"

To add insult to inquiry, the handgun has to southpaw friendly as I'm a lefty.

I'm looking at M&P 9mm as it seems the most southpaw friendly with many ambi controls. I was thinking of perhaps getting it with a thumb safety since I'm coming from a 1911. Is this silly?

I heard the trigger sucks on them. Smith & Wesson customer service said that I'd void the warranty if I put an apex trigger in it. But if it significantly improves the trigger, I'm for it.

I'm open to other considerations as well. Thank you for your help!
The M2.0 S&W M&P is said to have a really nice trigger. The Walther PPQ is considered one of the best, if not the best, striker fired trigger.

You will just have to accept, though, that a single action trigger like that on a 1911 is a completely different animal from a striker fired gun's trigger. You just have to learn it.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The reason for switching from 45acp to 9mm is economic/cost and higher capacity of the handgun.

I think I will have to rent a few of them at gun range to see witch trigger I gave live with, lol!

I will look into the M&P 2.0

Thank you for tip regarding Walter PPQ. I'm only somewhat familiar with the big 3 in striker fire polymers.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Folks get way too hung up on "nice" triggers on a fighting gun. They either work, or they dont...."nice" has nothing to do with it. Its not a bullseye gun, or a PPC revolver...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Folks get way too hung up on "nice" triggers on a fighting gun. They either work, or they dont...."nice" has nothing to do with it. Its not a bullseye gun, or a PPC revolver...
Perfectly stated.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have M&Ps with and without thumb safeties. I would not opt for a TS in a SF pistol - it's unnecessary and usually suboptimal ergonomically compared to the 1911 TS. They're different mechanisms altogether which require learning them and practicing with them.

I'd choose an M&P SF w/o TS and replace the trigger with an Apex system, in the scenario you're describing. 1911 triggers are great at the range on practice targets, but the difference between it and a good SF trigger for SD is mostly theoretical IMHO.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gunfights are about getting hits. Good triggers make getting hits easier.

The best plastic gun trigger I've shot has been an aluminum FSS in an M&P. They're expensive, but if you want a good trigger in a plastic gun they're the best I've found.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

I'm a 1911 guy also and mostly prefer Commanders. The only striker fire pistols I have are M&P's. I like them because they have similar ergonomics to the 1911.

I have a thumb safety and non thumb safety M&P's. I got the thumb safety version because of the 1911, but now prefer the non thumb safety version. All of my M&P's have Apex triggers. I have never shot an M&P 2.0 but on the original version the Apex makes a big difference. I would not own one without doing the upgrade personally.

While agree in a gunfight the trigger won't matter it just needs to go bang. But really most of us will hopefully never be put in that situation of being in a gun fight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Kahrs have good triggers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like my Sig p320 trigger.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
vp-9 LE trigger , canick TP9SF trigger very good .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Redneck
Perfectly stated.. smile

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yep.

Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
1911 triggers are great at the range on practice targets, but the difference between it and a good SF trigger for SD is mostly theoretical IMHO.

Originally Posted by brewcitybird

While agree in a gunfight the trigger won't matter it just needs to go bang. But really most of us will hopefully never be put in that situation of being in a gun fight.

I'll disagree with this, even though for MOST self-defense shootings this may hold true.

But defensive shootings can very easily become offensive shootings. The recent active shooters that have been shot by good guys carrying concealed. Or the crazy dude that snatched a kid out of a shopping cart at War-Mart and held him hostage with a knife.

Shootings like that may very well require a much different shot than getting mugged in a dark parking lot.

Now a lot of difficult shots can be made with mediocre triggers. But my position is just that "it working" or "just going bang" should certainly not be our threshold of what's acceptable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll gladly take the best trigger I can get on any gun; no downside, lots of upside.

MM

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

The best plastic gun trigger I've shot has been an aluminum FSS in an M&P. They're expensive, but if you want a good trigger in a plastic gun they're the best I've found.

Bluedreaux, is this the trigger you referred to? The Apex Forward Set Sear?

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ward-set-sear-trigger-kit-prod45404.aspx

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Bluedreaux, is this the trigger you referred to? The Apex Forward Set Sear?

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ward-set-sear-trigger-kit-prod45404.aspx

Yes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks, I'm getting used to my new M&P9 C.O.R.E. w/Trijicon RMR, and the trigger could use some help.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 89 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.