Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Greetings,

I'm a bit late to the game, seeking input from you Winchester gurus on this 300 Win selling on GB. The pad appears replaced, S# dates receiver to latter '62, not '63, but maybe not too uncommon. Any thoughts or insight greatly appreciated.
Thank you

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/618284276

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a gorgeous rifle, features some figure and rich color in the factory stock. Somebody around here may try to buy it for themselves. You better hurry.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I am going to say that I question the stock. The checkering looks to be hand cut, and fills the pistol grip and forearm alot more than what was the norm with the machine checkering from 59 on. Also the forearm looks much too round for a last year rifle. Forearm profile changed to accommodate machine checkering. Check out page 151 of Rule book if you have access.

Beautiful stock though.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It has some bluing wear at the front sight, pristine collector?

I had one of those, probably should have kept it.

My stock wasn't that fancy, the finish didn't seem that bright.

Those are pretty rare, one year is correct.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Great insight, thank you.
I tend to agree, checkering, forearm, and overall quality of stock in general seem to share likeness more akin to earlier models.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wong vintage stock with pachmayr recoil pad. Should have been a ventilated Winchester pad. Stock refinished, but very nice figure. The barreled action has to be worth quite a bit since it is a rare rifle. It also has an aluminum floor plate and there is something weird about the bluing near the Winchester trademark stamping. I'd be suspect of a cover-up from where it may have had holes drilled for a G&H side mount.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Wong vintage stock with pachmayr recoil pad. Should have been a ventilated Winchester pad. Stock refinished, but very nice figure. The barreled action has to be worth quite a bit since it is a rare rifle. It also has an aluminum floor plate and there is something weird about the bluing near the Winchester trademark stamping. I'd be suspect of a cover-up from where it may have had holes drilled for a G&H side mount.

Move along on this one.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you guys.

Agreed, the stock though nice, doesn't seem quite "right". I questioned seller about pad, owner claims it original to gun when new. I know Pachmayr made the pads for Winchester, but also thought they were all vented with a white line spacer. Would living in a safe, away from elements since '64, keep stock bright ? Also asked seller about the light area on receiver around stamp, said it was glare, but I don't know.

Thanks again

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Too many red flags, $2,600 for a pristine collector.

I think $1,500 as a shooter would make sense.

IMO

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Thank you guys.

Agreed, the stock though nice, doesn't seem quite "right". I questioned seller about pad, owner claims it original to gun when new. I know Pachmayr made the pads for Winchester, but also thought they were all vented with a white line spacer. Would living in a safe, away from elements since '64, keep stock bright ? Also asked seller about the light area on receiver around stamp, said it was glare, but I don't know.

Thanks again

Sounds like you asked all the right questions. If really serious about finding a good collector, I'd keep an eye out for a different one. A better one will come around eventually, you just need to be patient. A great friend of mine used to tell me that and he was absolutely right. There are just too many red flags on this one and I get an uneasy feeling about the seller and the listing... It may just be me, but usually I go with my gut feeling on things like this...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you BSA,

Very sound advise, lot to be said for gut instinct.
Would also seem if gun had been rested on pad for past 53 yrs, should look more compressed and more degraded.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, I'm outbid, will let others bidders battle it out for the glory.

Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes sir, it would.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
PM sent.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
PM sent.

donsm70

Don, you need to show him one of your 300's... I know they are a thing of beauty..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fake put together gun. 300 Win Mags did not have the US of A Trademark. They had had Winchester R (in a circle) I think that is a 308 std weight barrel rechambered and remarked. I am on the road and although my loaned out Rifleman's Rifle has returned home, I am not there.

Stock is nice but is pre 1958.

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/08/17.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wrong pad, aluminum floorplate, etc. the rifle is a poor attempt at faking a rare gun. Definately not original, run don't walk away from this one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What do you guys think of my guestimate of the value as a $1,500 shooter?

Or said another way, knowing what we now know, what's the right price?

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have seen several late 300 win mags come with the alum floor plate, for some reason many proof marks were up high on the receiver as well .
Mine has a pad on it and it needed it, I love the 300 win mag cal ,it does have a sharp rap ! That matters on the bench but one does not notice it on game..
Dirtfarmer , mine is nice but not mint, Im calling it 87% , I have 3 to many 300 win mags if you need it. very best winpoor

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My .300 WM is an Ed Brown Damara with Zeiss Victory 2-10.

It's the nicest, sweetest shooting, easy to carry .300 I've ever handled. I liked my Pre-64 .300 WM, but not enough to get another one.

Thanks for the heads up.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
DF, I should have read the whole thread more carefully, I scanned and thought you were in market.my bad , What struck me was the 1500, that is what I put on mine.. v best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Someone thought it was worth $2,900.00. It is what it is... wink

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Buyer beware.

Think he's under water on that one.

DF

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
If I had the funds I'd be all over the one Whitebird (IIRC?) had for sale here.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cattledog: The fact that this obviously bogus Rifle got 40 (fourty!) "alleged" bids on it just re-enforces my policy of NEVER buying a collector gun "on-line"!
I'll repeat that - never!
I have been invited MANY times to take part in bidding schemes and run-up bidding schemes for on-line sales - thus part of my reasoning for averting myself from chasing "collector guns" on-line.
I would say this Rifle being legitimately sold (erroneously bought!) for $2,900.00 is right at or just under 1%!
Something nefarious is/was about in this listing and alleged sale.
Pardon my late reply to your legitimate inquiry as I have been predator Hunting and ice fishing the last few days.
The audacity of some people never ceases to amaze me.
Good luck in your future collecting but use EXTREME caution and have an iron clad agreement for "returns" should you be tempted to buy a collector gun "on-line".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You thinking more monkey business than money changing hands?

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

Buyer beware.

Think he's under water on that one.

DF

Yep...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
If I had the funds I'd be all over the one Whitebird (IIRC?) had for sale here.

Oh hell yes. That was one nice collector rifle and at a great deal from one of the good guys here...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you to all who replied, your wisdom and insight was greatly appreciated.

Cattledog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the Winchester world, the more rare the caliber, the better chance it has been faked. The higher the value, the better chance it has been a really well done fake, IMHO.

Good advice from a good group of guys here and a wise decision to take the time to ask here before committing.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Once I think about it, I think I have only handled one pre 64 M70 in 300 WIN over the years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The gun is now sold, but this GB seller has sold some bogus rifles in the past. The seller claims she is selling rifles on behalf of an old man who is divesting himself of a large collection. When I pointed out a misleading error in a past Super Grade listing (see below), the seller said she had checked with the old man and was sticking with his description.

The SG listing was a .220 Swift which was presented as an original rifle. The metal was beautiful, with a pristine receiver. The SG stock was inletted for a side-scope mount, but later repaired. You could barely see the repair in the stock but it was clear that this stock was not original to a rifle with an undrilled receiver. This was almost certainly a case of a person putting a stray SG stock on a standard .220 Swift Sporter action and selling it off as a rare SG. This is one of the most common ways to "fake" a valuable rifle. A $400 stock and a $1000 action has suddenly become a $2500 "rare" rifle. I pointed out the problem with the rifle, but she said she had to take the old man's word that it was original, as-is.

At that time (maybe 6 months ago), several other people commented on the seller here. The feedback was mixed, with some saying they had bought great rifles through her and others saying they received clearly "restored" rifles, which were advertised as original. Hard to know, but I put this seller on my list of ones to avoid.

As with everything on GB, it is always buyer beware. And as VarmintGuy says, think long and hard before buying a valuable collector rifle online, where you can't see and handle it in person. In the model 70 world, there are a great many rifles which are not what they are presented to be.

Justin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have stayed away from the SG just because they are so easy to fake. You pay a lot more compared to what you get. That being said and never say never I did buy two from a gentleman locally. I got a good buy IMHO and have added a 220 Swift and another 300 H&H to the mix. The 300 is a tack driver, I haven't scoped or shot the Swift yet.

It is unfortunate that there are no records for the M70 and that the forgery market is so rampant. I was at a gun shop the "specializes" in Winchester's and there were at least 5 7MM carbine barrels on the bench, all brand new all looked 100% original.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
FWIW I purchased two items from above mentioned seller almost 4 years ago, before the last year where she has been "liquidating this gentleman's collection. Both rifles appeared to be original unaltered. But on the second purchased, I exchanged an e-mail and a phone conversation with her directly. She played that whole I don't really know anything, but I will make right if you find its been refinished any. You guessed it, lesson learned, some fine "restorations" and no more answering of the phone....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greetings,

I'm a bit late to the game, seeking input from you Winchester gurus on this 300 Win selling on GB. The pad appears replaced, S# dates receiver to latter '62, not '63, but maybe not too uncommon. Any thoughts or insight greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Nice rifle. The pad is probably replacement from American company CSMC aka Galazan.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win
The gun is now sold, but this GB seller has sold some bogus rifles in the past. The seller claims she is selling rifles on behalf of an old man who is divesting himself of a large collection. When I pointed out a misleading error in a past Super Grade listing (see below), the seller said she had checked with the old man and was sticking with his description.

The SG listing was a .220 Swift which was presented as an original rifle. The metal was beautiful, with a pristine receiver. The SG stock was inletted for a side-scope mount, but later repaired. You could barely see the repair in the stock but it was clear that this stock was not original to a rifle with an undrilled receiver. This was almost certainly a case of a person putting a stray SG stock on a standard .220 Swift Sporter action and selling it off as a rare SG. This is one of the most common ways to "fake" a valuable rifle. A $400 stock and a $1000 action has suddenly become a $2500 "rare" rifle. I pointed out the problem with the rifle, but she said she had to take the old man's word that it was original, as-is.

At that time (maybe 6 months ago), several other people commented on the seller here. The feedback was mixed, with some saying they had bought great rifles through her and others saying they received clearly "restored" rifles, which were advertised as original. Hard to know, but I put this seller on my list of ones to avoid.

As with everything on GB, it is always buyer beware. And as VarmintGuy says, think long and hard before buying a valuable collector rifle online, where you can't see and handle it in person. In the model 70 world, there are a great many rifles which are not what they are presented to be.

Justin

Excellent post. Sounds like the seller is running a big scam and if there was a way you could turn her in I'd do it... The buyer of this rifle obviously was not educated in model 70's and got scammed big time...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Greetings,

Thank you

Nice rifle. The pad is probably replacement from American company CSMC aka Galazan.

It's a pachmayr recoil pad. Plainly stated in the listing and shown in pic 34 of 34.. At least she was honest about that.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 73 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.