Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Myself and my 15 year old son are looking for an axis deer hunt in the June or July time period.
I would prefer a free range hunt but a large high fence property would be ok.
Would prefer a spot and stalk hunt as opposed to sitting at a feeder.
Do not need fancy accommodations, clean and functional would be fine.
I am really just looking for a nice experience with my son and don't have to shoot a huge animal to have a good experience.
I know axis deer is delicious and would like to bring the meat home.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Seeker
Rob Hamilton

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Pm Ingwe! smile

Trump Won!
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Free range" Make me laugh every time.

Kelly
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It might be impossible to find someone who specializes in spot and stalk. That's not the way it is traditionally done. You will probably find someone to attempt it if you ask. If you find it let me know. Go to

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Check it out. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everything vegetative in Texas bites or scratches. Find a nice vantage point and sit. When sighted, hammer it because one will not want to dig it out of the thorns.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They don't run like deer. Easy to drive up on. Shoot,load,clean,done right quick.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hanco
They don't run like deer. Easy to drive up on. Shoot,load,clean,done right quick.

Those I hunted were spooky as hell and only moved very early or late in the day, shot both mine at dusk, popped a pig in a pond in the daylight though. grin

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Axis are fun and great eating...

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I once hunted a place that was high fenced. It was small, a little under 400 acres. It was about 2/3 dense juniper and the rest pretty open scrub oak. It was hilly. This was a cull meat hunt. There was a heard of approximately 50 axis on this property. I hunted, driving, walking and under feeders for a day and a half. About noon of the second day, we were eating sandwiches in the truck. Several walked across the road 50 yds away. One never knows!captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This place was in Rocksprings, 5000 acres. Those SOB's were everywhere. Mouflon, Aoudads, Black buck. They weren't hunted hard. Nice lease. I got off, because I was getting in to Quail hunting and pointers. Quail hunted hard for 25yrs. Got tired taking care of 8 to 10 dogs. People would want to go, but hardly offered gas money, much less food or anything else.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most places will be stand hunting or "Safari style" which is driving around in a pickup until you shoot something. Ask first and ask how big the place is esp. if high fenced. The YO ranch is good as it is large enough you rarely even see the high fences and many areas are low fenced. Spot and stalk will depend on the guide. You might even have the option of horseback hunting as the chicago wildman did until he was yanked off the horse when his hair got tangled in a tree. The cowboys were still talking about this when I was there.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Another place I meat/cull hunted 20yrs ago was over 3000 acres. They wanted to take 100 does off it. The guide took us to the stand. He threw out some corn and alfalfa and left. By the time he was out of sight deer were showing up. Within 15min probably 50 does and small bucks showed up. My buddy shot one. Most ran off, some stayed close. Within another 15min probably 30 were around the feed. Maybe some new ones I don't know. I shot mine and by the time we got to our deer the guide came to pick us up. He knew. We didn't, but they were cheap. $100 each and $30 total for guide to gut, skin, and quarter both. Captdavid

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Try Pope Brothers Guide Service or Ryan Longer Outdoors. They both have free range properties and fenced. Desert Safaris has a really good reputation for free range but they are not cheap.

I think it's like most game. If they are pressured, they are spooky as hell. In my experience, they are harder to predict than whitetail.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of the problems with axis is that they are not territorial as whitetail are. They roam. They may stick around, or not. To quote myself " one never knows!" captdavid

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Axis prices can vary. I will try to compare whitetail trophies with axis. A 30" or better is considered a trophy. I would compare a 30" axis to a 130-140 class whitetail. A 35" would be a B&C. 98% of axis have 6 points. Any more are considered atypical and very rare. This is not to say that a 28" is not a decent trophy. Ask what your outfitter/guide considers a trophy and the price. Prices for a, pretty much guaranteed 30+ trophy, start around $2500. A place where you might get a 30+, but probably won't, expect 28 or so, expect to pay $1800-$2000. Remember these are trophy prices only. I will say this; a 28" axis makes a pretty decent trophy. Under that not so much. Most guides are honest and hard working and will try their best to put you on what you want. I might suggest that you spend the first half day just looking, if you hunt high fenced. That said, if the guide says "shoot it, it's a whopper!" Shoot it.
Prices also vary on lodging from you stay in hotel and the guide picks you up, to converted farm houses, to luxury lodging and meals with a pool and WiFi. Guide fees probably $250-$300 per day, for both of you. Sometimes these are included in lodging or trophy fees. Captdavid

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might consider some kind of sheep for your son. They are also relatively cheap and would be much easier to spot and stalk. They make a decent mount. If you have a way to get pine wood chips. You can boil the sheep with the chips until tender. Pour the sheep and broth out and serve the chips with a turpentine sauce. hehe, captdavid

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're intent on taking the meat back with you, I suspect Texas is your best bet (never hunted there...so I could be wrong), but for a true free range spot and stalk axis hunt, I'd suggest Hawaii....specifically the big island.

I am in the process of getting a trip set up there for pigs and axis myself. Getting the meat back would be more of a headache, though the outfitters there have played this game so much they got it down. Flash freeze it and overnight it. It'll cost more to do so, but the hunt is probably more what you're looking for.

S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
I will follow up with outfitter suggestions for more research.

Rob Hamlton

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Be careful sir, Axis hunting will get in your blood! Good Luck with your choice and hunt. Great tasting animals and they make a beautiful mount as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/14/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics Elkhunter49. They are gorgeous animals.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,003
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.