Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From the leftist rag, Anchorage daily fish wrapper. Pasted it here, as I won't pay those aholes a monthly fee. Have to access their rag via facebook. (Not sure the link will work. It'll probably ask you for money.)

Imo, the gay flag is FAR more offensive. ANY dissent from their 'values' and you're every four letter word in the book. Ban THAT flag too, if you're going to ban the Confederate flag.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/edu...-a-school-hallway-with-confederate-flag/

Chugiak High officials asking why students posed with Confederate flag

Chugiak High School administrators on Wednesday were investigating the display of the Confederate battle flag by a group of students in the school's hallway, according to an Anchorage School District spokeswoman.

The five students posed for a photograph with the large flag, which also had an image of "the Mudflap Girl" — the silhouette of a curvy woman — in front of an orange flame. Four of the students also held American flags.

A copy of the photograph provided to Alaska Dispatch News appeared to have come from a Snapchat account, and the text across part of it read, "If your (sic) offended … hah that sucks. That's your problem." The sentence was punctuated with an emoji of a middle finger.

A statement from the school district on Wednesday said Chugiak High administrators would speak with the students involved to "learn more about their intentions and discuss appropriate actions in school settings."

"Staff must balance the rights of students to engage in free speech with the right for all students to attend school in a safe environment," the statement said.

Heidi Embley, school district spokeswoman, said the district was first notified of the photograph by a news outlet Wednesday morning. She said the district believed the photograph was taken Friday and confirmed that it was of Chugiak students and was taken inside the high school. Chugiak High administrators would have to determine the circumstances around the image before deciding whether to sanction the students, she said.

"It could be punishable if it causes a disturbance in the school, or depending on the events surrounding the photo. Were students trying to organize a protest or was it just a quick photo? Were they blocking other kids from entering the school?" she said. "Obviously a lot of people find it offensive, but students also have a right to free speech so we need to toe that line very carefully."

Shannon Talley, a former Alaskan who now lives in Washington, D.C., received the photograph from a relative who has a student who attends the school. The student is African-American and "was absolutely terrified," Talley said.

"We don't have a problem with freedom of speech," said Talley, who sent the photo to Alaska Dispatch News. "What we have a problem with is that this is intimidating. There aren't that many African-American students who to go that school."

Talley added: "We want to know if there is going to be a conversation about this."

Chugiak High School serves about 1,180 students, a large majority of them white students and 22 of them African-American students, according to the most recent district data.

The issue of whether the display of a Confederate flag in public schools is protected by the First Amendment's freedom of speech right has been raised in other states.

Subscribe to our Morning News newsletter

A high school principal in Indiana banned students from wearing or displaying images of the Confederate flag in October after students wore the flag draped around their shoulders. The principal declared the demonstration created a "substantial disruption to the educational environment," reported the Indianapolis Star.

The Miami Herald reported in November that Florida students were punished for bringing a Confederate flag to school on the day after the presidential election.

Joshua Decker, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska, said that while students do not lose their First Amendment rights when they get to school, officials can examine whether a student's behavior is disruptive and if so, stop it.

Decker said he saw the situation at Chugiak High as a chance to help students better understand the situation.

"I think this is a teaching opportunity and obligation of the school to really talk about why the Confederate flag is so horribly offensive and racist," he said.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shannon Talley, a former Alaskan who now lives in Washington, D.C., received the photograph from a relative who has a student who attends the school. The student is African-American and "was absolutely terrified," Talley said.

Fuggin adn printing third hand gossip.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unreasonable imo for anyone to be terrified of seeing a group of students with a flag.

they should be, well not terrified, but incensed at seeing people burn our American flag.

if any of the black kids are harassed for their skin color, then whomever does the harrassing needs an azz kicking and kicked outa school.

but just cause some teenage boys have some Dukes of Hazard fantasy is no reason to get your panties wadded. YMMV

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If anyone was offended that's their problem

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're not born and bred in Dixie you have no reason to wear, display or fly a Confederate battle flag.
Fuggin posers.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Ahhh hey let's make this a race issue!! Kids with flags clearly needs to be contorted into a "let's make everyone feel good" race issue....stupid white kids...wait am I allowed to say that? Oh ya it's ok to segregate cause their white, afterall it's not white history month...
Thanks Obama for our America going back in time...

Last edited by powderburner; 02/09/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The chit I done as a kid ...they would have me shot nowadays ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does that paper/website let a guy comment? What way is it leaning?... I danit going their and add to their count

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Does that paper/website let a guy comment? What way is it leaning?... I danit going their and add to their count

ADN is a low-watt Propaganda Corps commie rag. Unfit for even fish wrap.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
If you're not born and bred in Dixie you have no reason to wear, display or fly a Confederate battle flag.
Fuggin posers.

Well, thats not even close to true.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Fuggin posers.

Well, thats not even close to true.

This^^^^. Maybe they have NWG (NO WHITE GUILT). Maybe they believe we shoulda picked our own dayom cotton.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.