Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rembo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Don't believe that the rear bridge was factory d&t on that gun....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like a beautiful sob. Am I missing anything?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Not sure about the rear bridge myself, but I am not a collector, just a fan!
Nice looking rifle overall, I can understand the attraction!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice Model 70. I am not sure exactly, when the transitions was on the drilled and tapped, it does have the type 2 transition safety, 46 not sure but I do know that 47 were drilled and tapped from the factory. Beautiful gun, price they aren't making any more 46 Super Grades. To much or to soon is what I have always heard.

Last edited by knivesforme; 02/10/17.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
To Bad on the Pre War 375 H&H Super Grade with side mount,extra drilled holes in the receiver for $5000. That is a nice looking 75+ year old rifle.

If I had access to the shop I would look at this.

http://gobles.ca/gobles_media/2016/09/WINCHESTER-94-G0035316-2.JPG

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Poconojack]Don't believe that the rear bridge was factory d&t on that gun.... [/quote

Transition rifles made after WWII were drilled & tapped in the rear ...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks like a beautiful sob. Am I missing anything?

Amen to that! Never owned a SG but darned if that isn't a perfect hunting rifle.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I never warmed up to the Super Grades in years past. A lot more money for not much more rifle. I recently came into two, a 300 H&H and a 220 Swift. Both very nice rifles and the 300 is wickedly accurate.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
[quote=Poconojack]Don't believe that the rear bridge was factory d&t on that gun.... [/quote

Transition rifles made after WWII were drilled & tapped in the rear ...

It's good to know that possibly my super grade 300 H&H with serial number 57XXX was indeed factory drilled and tapped.

Now all I have to whine about is the recoil pad. cry grin I love this place!

Trump Won!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The grooved prewar style rear bridges were not factory drilled unless special ordered and you would need proof of that.

That being said yours looks like the smooth later style rear bridge and most were factory drilled. There are a very few smooth rear bridges with no holes or only one hole, but they are extremely rare and more likely to occur on H&H length actions.

From what I can see it is a beautiful example, original, unaltered,that has been used. I would be proud of that one myself!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner my SG 300 H&H has a pad as well but it is what it is and the deer and the elk won't care:). It's a heavy sob and cumbersome in a box blind but I'm learning to live with it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rembo: That is a neat old gun - its not up to my "collector" standards so I am not interested.
The rear sight is questionable and it may or may not be missing the issued Super-Grade sling swivels?
Do you plan on "investing" in it or are you going to shoot it and Hunt with it?
I like that old Leupold scope and have several of that vintage.
Good luck if you decide to bid on it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
rembo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I don't think a purchase of this one could be considered an investment.
Too much wear to be collectable.
It is an interesting piece for one who wants a shooter with a bit of rarity, there can't be many transition SG's out there.
Can anyone ID the mount? I'm thinking it might be a Tilden...?
For the price of a new Sako I'd rather have this.

I just came across it while surfing around. I see they have another SG in a Swift but no pics. A call to the shop may get you some pics.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The mount is an early Redfield.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a similar transition 300 h&h SG. It's a great hunting gun

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Gunner my SG 300 H&H has a pad as well but it is what it is and the deer and the elk won't care:). It's a heavy sob and cumbersome in a box blind but I'm learning to live with it.

LOL, the 20 odd deer I've smacked with my old padded S.G. didn't register any complaints either, after carrying 36" barreled muzzle loaders and 30/34" barreled Sharps rifles my old H&H seems quite nimble in the woods or on stand. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gunner, that is the way I look at my padded and scoped Pre war ..270 with some family history. Cousin bought an old family friend's guns when he hung them up about 1960. When Cousin died in an accident a dozen years ago, the family passed it on to me.

I once owned a nice all original 300H&H for about thirty minutes. Bought it for $500 sold it minutes later for $1150 in the mid 90s. Wish I could have kept it, but I was flipping guns to educate my daughters debt free. I thought there would always be another, as I had flipped numerous .375s, but never had a chance at another at a good price.

Enjoy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
S
I disagree with the notion that the gun isn't collectible. The gun is 71 years old. There are many of these pre 64 rifles that have been cut for pads, refinished, and reblued. IMHO, a model 70 which has had a pad added is absolute garbage. I have a 1949 30-06 that has significant finish loss and hunting marks, but ya know what? It's original- there's something to be said for that. Whenever I browse these rifles online the very instant I see a non-authentic pad I exit. A cut stock is garbage and totally undesirable. I dunno why so many people took it upon themselves to ruin these guns. The bigger magnum calibres came with them, no need to put one on a 30-06, 308 or 270...as if you would notice the recoil shooting at game. I've even seen otherwise perfect 243s outfitted with pads.

I couldn't find the listing on that site so it must have sold, but I view it sort of like collecting coins, a vintage super grade is a "key date" of sorts, and this is far from a "slick", this one will do until you can find one that is closer to Gem Brilliant Uncirculated (MS63-MS65).

Also, if you've looked at Shuman's gun list or any other seller, super grades in the high 90% are exhorbitantly expensive... most people aren't wired to spend 3-5 grand on a rifle.

btw, I didn't see what the asking price on the gun was? 3 grand?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rembo
I don't think a purchase of this one could be considered an investment.
Too much wear to be collectable.
It is an interesting piece for one who wants a shooter with a bit of rarity, there can't be many transition SG's out there.
Can anyone ID the mount? I'm thinking it might be a Tilden...?
For the price of a new Sako I'd rather have this.

I just came across it while surfing around. I see they have another SG in a Swift but no pics. A call to the shop may get you some pics.

Rembo, you never did tell us the price....... It all depends on the bottom dollar, when considering whether it is an investment or not: I believe that rifle would be one if it is bought right. Like all pre 64's, it's going to go up in value. That rifle is pretty clean and looks to be all original. Not too sure about the rear sight though. There's always a market for a rifle in that condition (sub par collectors territory), if it's priced right.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
743 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.