Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bluedreaux: As with most all broad and sweeping generalizations yours is NOT correct!
I spent 29 years being and interacting with all manner of law enforcement types then spent twelve more years doing body guard and robbery suppression work with more law enforcement (mostly retired) types!
I NEVER once saw a gun in the possession or use of any of these MANY hundreds (thousands!) of law enforcement types that comes anywhere NEAR what you show/allude to/contend!
NEVER ONCE!
And as I review my firearms inventory I see 6 (six!) pistols that I purchased over the past 4 decades from Law Enforcement agencies two are Glocks and four are Smith & Wessons!
All, let me repeat, ALL of them are in excellent to new unfired condition!
NONE, let me repeat, NONE of them are in the condition you depict!
Nor have I ever seen a police surplus arm that was for sale in the condition you depict!
Sheesh!
I run with about 35 ex-law enforcement types (F.B.I., D.E.A., State Patrol Officers, County Sheriffs, City police and two Military Police Officers - most all of whom are retired now like me but some active) currently and without exception they are safe gun handlers and take VERY good care of their firearms both handguns and long-guns!
Like others posted buyer beware - and sure look for signs of over-use and holster wear but finding an example like you depict is rare!
At least I have never seen such.
That gun you depict is suffering for poor or long term storage among other things IMO.
I completely disagree with your premise/contention.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Look, we all know you're an idiot, but here's a clue - Bluedreaux IS a cop.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...like lillysdad said...it all depends on your location...

I talk to LEOs and instructors mainly from Pennsylvania to Maine and I hear the same things I related above.

In Dallas it was different..statistically you had a 7% chance of getting into a gun fight during your career. It was rare that an officer didn't know someone that had been in a gun fight...much different attitude.

I've been in NH for almost 30 years...there were more LE shooting in Dallas in ONE year than in NH the 30 years I've been here. Rochester PD started in the 1800s...there had never been a LE shooting till 1992. Many towns and cities have never had one and many not more than a couple...whole different demographics....and therefore "sheeple" attitude.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by brinky72
With that I wouldn't buy anything used from a police agency. The stuff has a life cycle for a reason. To me buying a used pistol from a police department is like buying an old police car. What do you think you're going to get. Cops are hard on equipment because they use the hell out of it.

Cars, sure...guns..hardly. Not really the same thing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bluedreaux: As with most all broad and sweeping generalizations yours is NOT correct!

You do realize you just made a broad and sweeping generalization about broad and sweeping generalizations, don't you?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

That gun you depict is suffering for poor or long term storage among other things IMO.

For reference, I know know for a fact that this pistol isn't suffering from long term storage in anything but a holster (in a relatively dry climate). It came from a duty belt into my hands.

Ask one of your many, many retired LE / bodyguard / coffee shop buddies about the rust line on these magazines.... As they sit in this picture, what would that rust line coincide with?

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I hear a lot of people recommend police trade-in guns as a good value, and I've even suggested that people consider them myself.

But I've got a couple of pictures I thought could serve as a good warning for buyers. If you are considering a police trade-in just know that it might not be all you expect. I'd get some sort of guarantee from the seller about the quality of the gun before I bought one sight unseen.

Remember, MOST cops aren't gun guys. And SOME cops are lazy and entitled beyond belief. When those two categories collide you get a cop who, even at his own peril, will invest ZERO energy into maintaining the gun he was issued--That you're going to buy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's the problem?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless the inside of the barrel is rusted, the magazines look like a bigger problem than the gun. Did you shoot it?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about that 95% figure thrown out there above. Surely it must be regionally influenced. In my experience around here about half are not "gun guys." I've never met a female officer that was firearms oriented. Probably 20% of the guys I know and work with are knowledgeable gun guys. Another 25% or so are ok, have more than a basic rudimentary interest in firearms. For about half though they just really don't know any more about their gun and ammunition than they know about how the engine in their patrol car works. And they don't care about knowing anymore than they have to.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Unless the inside of the barrel is rusted, the magazines look like a bigger problem than the gun. Did you shoot it?

No. Those magazines actually don't belong to that gun. Since I already had pics of a rusted gun I only took mag pics with the second "find".

I did try to insert the magazine. I got it about halfway in and stopped because I thought it would take a tool to ever get it back out.

(That's what she said)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No. Those magazines actually don't belong to that gun. Since I already had pics of a rusted gun I only took mag pics with the second "find".

I did try to insert the magazine. I got it about halfway in and stopped because I thought it would take a tool to ever get it back out.

(That's what she said)

JFC.... This thread's beyond idiotic.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got time to kill, so I'll bite.

How so?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For reference, I know know for a fact that this pistol isn't suffering from long term storage in anything but a holster (in a relatively dry climate). It came from a duty belt into my hands.

Ask one of your many, many retired LE / bodyguard / coffee shop buddies about the rust line on these magazines.... As they sit in this picture, what would that rust line coincide with?

[Linked Image]

Careful, Blue... Outsmarting VarmintGay (which is quite easy) will trigger his homoerotic tendencies and he'll start fantasizing about and commenting on your anus.

As to the rust lines; that seems pretty easy to figure out.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by kingston

(That's what she said)

Plural has you all f*cked up?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
As to the rust lines; that seems pretty easy to figure out.

I thought I'd lob a slow pitch his way. We'll see if he swings or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the info Bluedreaux. I seldom buy anything other than FTF, and this reinforces that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am thinking that the right thing to do is identify the supervisor of the person who pulled this pistol and those magazines out of his gunbelt. Demote said supervisor. Suspend Said person.

Oh, and Varmintguy should read and never post.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have to say (and I am likely in the minority) that I would still happily pay $330-$350 for that pistol.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP says, "Caveat emptor when buying LEO trade-ins sight unseen", while suggesting that one shouldn't assume all LEOs take care of their service weapons. OP provides pics of rusty glock and mags. Respondents take thread to be wholesale indictment of LEOs.

It's a snowy Saturday in February. I guess I hoping for better entertainment.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would too, unless it is a 40. I hate a stinking 40 S&W.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by kingston

(That's what she said)

Plural has you all f*cked up?

N > 2

It's a start.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.