-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I have recently gotten into archery/bowhunting and wanted to ask if soreness is normal when first beginning to shoot?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, it is. But...It also has nothing to do with draw weight. You just don't use those muscles normally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
depends on the strength and size of the beginner

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if your goin to hunt with it you need to read the regulations to confirm your bow would be legal in your area. Here where I live in Alberta you need min 60 lbs bow to hunt legal with.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kiwitango
I have recently gotten into archery/bowhunting and wanted to ask if soreness is normal when first beginning to shoot?
Welcome to the fire. They have some really good archery stuff nowaday. I shot a big black 2 years ago near dusk. Thank god I was using lighted notches or I would never have found him.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Practise, practise and the soreness will go away. While your sitting on your couch watching your TV work your bow every night, to build your muscles and steadiness.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Practise, practise and the soreness will go away. While your sitting on your couch watching your TV work your bow every night, to build your muscles and steadiness.

Do this at your peril! Load the bow with an arrow and sooner or later, either the TV or something (someone) more important dies.

Don't load the bow with an arrow and sooner or later something gets hurt bad. Either the bow blows up with and accidental dry fire and you get lucky, or the bow blows up in an accidental dry fire and you get hurt bad along with the bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You pull the bow with no arrow in it to build your muscles. Why would you put an arrow in when you don't really need too?/?Its an exercise machine thats it. Who in their right mind would draw an arrow in their house??? Duh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

Do this at your peril! Load the bow with an arrow and sooner or later, either the TV or something (someone) more important dies.

Don't load the bow with an arrow and sooner or later something gets hurt bad. Either the bow blows up with and accidental dry fire and you get lucky, or the bow blows up in an accidental dry fire and you get hurt bad along with the bow.

Never draw a bow without an arrow knocked. Buy stretch exercise bands to work your muscles without putting you or your bow or both at risk.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/13/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW wife shot at or under 45 ish pounds for many years.

Killed the biggest hog I've ever seen taken, something over 335 pounds our scale went to. Shields almost 2 plus inches thick IIRC.

Choice of broadhead was COC, and the head made it out the other side after passing through the heart...

You don't need as much weight as we always thought....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
FWIW wife shot at or under 45 ish pounds for many years.

Killed the biggest hog I've ever seen taken, something over 335 pounds our scale went to. Shields almost 2 plus inches thick IIRC.

Choice of broadhead was COC, and the head made it out the other side after passing through the heart...

You don't need as much weight as we always thought....

The sooner one figures out archery is more about finesse than brute strength the sooner he becomes proficient...

Last edited by centershot; 02/14/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Words of wisdom. Some who read my comments seem to suggest dry fire, that is not what I would recommend. When you work your bow for exercise sake you don't dry fire you let it back using your muscles. No arrow installed either. I had an 80 lbs bow and worked my upper body muscles by working my bow back and fourth sitting on my couch while watching TV every other night. 95 percent of my friends couldn't even pull the pulley bow. I realized after many years of bow hunting you don't need all that power.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=378Canuck]Words of wisdom. Some who read my comments seem to suggest dry fire, that is not what I would recommend. When you work your bow for exercise sake you don't dry fire you let it back using your muscles. No arrow installed either. I had an 80 lbs bow and worked my upper body muscles by working my bow back and fourth sitting on my couch while watching TV every other night. 95 percent of my friends couldn't even pull the pulley bow. I realized after many years of bow hunting you don't need all that power. [/quot

Yeah, but dayom it was nice.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Kiwitango

Hell no,

Send me ur bow.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.