Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I just came into a Tikka Lite in 223 Remington and now am loading for 2 of the rifles at the same time. Instead of tumbling brass for one rifle and then do the same for the brass for the other rifle I would like to limp them together and cut down tumbling time.

Do you guys color-code mark brass? Where do you mark the brass? Will tumbling remove marker color on brass?

I know I have a box of Black Hills 223 Rem loaded with 50gr Vmax and could use that exclusively for one of the 223 Rem but I have plenty of Winchester brass so might as well use them and this is why I am asking...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I segregate by headstamp. L.C. For one rifle, RP for the other.
Colored marker will come off in the tumbler if you leave it in very long.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's less of a pain just to keep stuff separate as you shoot it up.
I baggie my ammo and keep it separate by using two bags, and taking the time to tumble. Loads and an empty bag go in the baggie, the empties go in the empty bag. Once shot, it goes in the storage bin until there's enough to tumble or the entire batch is shot up.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Valad: I recommend your using either two different brands (headstamps) of brass one being dedicated to one Rifle and the other being dedicated to the other Rifle - or one using regular brass and the other using nickel plated brass - this latter makes it even easier to separate once shooting or tumbling is done!
That's how I started out anyway.
Now I have 15 (fifteen!) Rifles and one pistol in caliber 223 Remington and I have run out of brands and finishes to keep them separated - so I have be more careful when shooting and when processing brass to keep them separate (dedicated to one Rifle).
If I recall correctly I have/use six different "brands" of 223 brass and two finishes in some of those brands. So I am out of easy options.
Good luck to you and it is worthwhile to keep those brass separate and dedicated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I try to keep it segregated as I shoot them. You can also use a felt tip marker to color the extractor groove and it stands up pretty well in a tumbler.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess it would depend on what kind of loads I am putting together.

If I am making target loads, or working up for accuracy I like to keep everything separate.

If I am out shooting varmints I could care less, as long as I am not on the ragged edge of velocity.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I share brass in two rifles. I cut both chambers with the same reamer to the same gauge.

Lol.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
100 round lots kept in MTM 100 round boxes. Only way to fly.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/rifle/ammo-boxes-rifle-r-100.html

Write the load on the top of the box and which gun it's for on the front.

Got sick and tired of having 11 rounds here and 33 rounds there of God only knows what, I copied Stick's method and haven't looked back. Got rid of all the 50 round boxes as well except for a few for long action cartridges. Hate the 50 round boxes especially the .223 size.

Tally marks inside the lid to keep track of firings.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a bunch of .223 rifles. Several ARs, Tikka, H&R, and a Ruger #1V. Al but the Ruger like the same load, LC brass, full length sized, H335 and 50 gr. Dogtown HP. The Ruger is a special case. It only likes brass that has been fired in it before and neck sized with a Lee Collet die. I bought 500 rounds of Winchester brass that only gets used in the Ruger. All other brass is LC and goes in the other rifles.

I also have a couple of .30-06 rifles. The Garand gets brass colored brass, the bolt action gets nickel plated brass and is loaded to higher pressures. As long as I keep the nickel plated brass out of the Garand, everything is OK.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I segregate by headstamp. L.C. For one rifle, RP for the other.
Colored marker will come off in the tumbler if you leave it in very long.

That's what I do too. I have also painted the case heads with different colors of nail polish, rubbed off while wet leaving the lettering and primer ring with an instantly recognizable color code. The stuff is fairly (but not perfectly) immune to average tumbling.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With a bazillion colors of polish, that's not a bad idea, G.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can always use a spring punch in the rim section to identify lots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by valad
I just came into a Tikka Lite in 223 Remington and now am loading for 2 of the rifles at the same time. Instead of tumbling brass for one rifle and then do the same for the brass for the other rifle I would like to limp them together and cut down tumbling time.

Spend the coin on another tumbler, & buy different colored MTM boxes for each.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't keep the brass separate, I resize all of it on small base dies...fits in every rifle. Each rifle likes a different load usually, so I keep the loaded ammo for each separate...by marking the reloading label.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I load for 5 different 223's, and I like to keep the brass separate because I usually neck-size only.
Keeping the brass separate is certainly not difficult since no matter how good the shooting PD/gopher shooting is I am still only shooting one gun at a time and only have one box of ammo open, I simply put the empty back into the box.
I use the MTM or Midway ammo boxes and label the lid with which rifle it is for. Boxes are cheap and make life simple.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I feed 8 different 308 rifles and I keep the brass separate. I use a Sharpie to write directly on the plastic ammo boxes to indicate which rifle they serve. Common 90% isopropyl cleans the ink right off when it is time for a change.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used all the methods mentioned here, and they all work--as long as the shooter's mind works too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've used all the methods mentioned here, and they all work--as long as the shooter's mind works too.

I've had to keep a closer watch on myself lately. grin

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use small base dies for 223's. Load them all the same. I have five 7 Rem mags. I full length size. I load 64 grains IMR 4350 for all of them. I have three 264 Win mags. Same program. Separate loads for each is too much trouble. They all shoot sub MOA. That's good enough to hunt with. Since I have 7's and 264's I really like the color coded Nosler ballistic tips. I'm guessing bad things happen if a 7 mag is lit off in a 264.

Last edited by hanco; 02/15/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use 100 round MTM boxes with the load info on a sticker on top of the box. My Wife gave me a label maker for Christmas that I'm expecting to work very well for this, but have not used it yet.

lightman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1badf350, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.