Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm asking about TI style pressure point inside the barrel channel near the fore end tip. Designed to apply pressure on the barrel when the stock is tightened.

I'm conditioned for free floating barrels and thinking about buying a TI stock for my M700. Any good experience with this style? Do you grind them out or leave them?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
sometimes pressure will work.

Ed

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Grind the speed bumps out...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I always sand 'em out. I do not have the experience that a lot of guys on the 'Fire have. However, I have never had a rifle shoot worse without 'em. Has not always improved accuracy. But, has never hurt accuracy... in my experience...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If they are already there shoot the gun before removing.
However, I do not have any one piece stock guns with front end bedding.
But my #1 and #3 with two piece stocks do have the fore end bedded.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My concern is how a bi-pod, sand bag or tight sling will affect poi. Free floating works, and makes me feel better.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
My concern is how a bi-pod, sand bag or tight sling will affect poi. Free floating works, and makes me feel better.

Same here. Even if they did improve accuracy, which I haven't seen yet, I'd be leery of using them because I wouldn't trust them to be stable across a temperature range or when the forearm was contacting something solid.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for your responses guys. For peace of mind, it will be a dremmel job on the barrel channel.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My most reliable and consistent big-game rifle, a Win 70 30-06, has had the same pressure points in the forend since 1994.

If it shoots that way, then leave it alone.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shoot it first before taking out the pressure points. I have had a couple of 700 sporters that were very inconsistent without pressure points.
You can always use the piece of plastic or cardboard under the front action ring to see if it shoots better free-floated.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Never seen one shoot worse without 'em.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Generally, I make a stock for a rifle I've bought that is more suitable for shooting from bench rest. Always free float the barrel channel.

Did buy a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye 257R rifle that I've never made a stock for....too nice a stock on it. Anyway, shot around 60 rounds with it before I took the barreled action out of the stock to inspect it. Rifle certainly had enough accuracy for hunting, but had tried various reloads with no decent improvement for accuracy.....already owned 4 other 257 Roberts rifles, so not new to the 257R cartridge.

Was surprised by how much pressure was in the forend of the Ruger stock. Amount of wood I had to remove from the fore end kinda surprised me. Anyway, free floating the barrel made a very very slight improvement in the accuracy.

Chuckle, lightening the pull of the factory Ruger trigger did more to improve accuracy than my barrel channel work.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Never seen one shoot worse without 'em.
My experience also..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen upward pressure work on a couple of rifles. One was an Ruger MKII with a B&C Carbelite stock and the other a M700 w B&C Alaskan stock.

The M700 w/ B&C stock came with the two "pressure pads" at the tip of the stock. Now these pads had the spiderweb coating all over them. I went with the conventional advise that these were pure evil and removed them. Rifle shot no better. I ended up reconstructing a pressure point in a two step operation. (1) I bedded action and forend in a conventional manner, but added 3 layers of vinyl tape on the barrel at the end of the stock channel, about 2.5" in length. This forms a semi-circular section in the bottom of the stock channel. This I did a second pour on top of the first one, with a shim under the front action screw. This make a perfect semi-circular bed up upward pressure and uniform side contact. It subsequently shot very well.

I do have my theories and, trust me, they will be worth every penny you guys pay to hear them. Firing a bullet puts axial and rotational forces on the barrel. The barrel vibrates in response to these forces. A "good" barrel vibrates consistently, like a tuning fork. A bad one, not so much.

A pressure point merely dampens that vibration. Specifically, it decreases the amplitude of that vibration. Remember you are resisting movement downward and sideways (at least if you bed it the way I did).

Now I don't really know if a barrel vibrates in a Figure-8 pattern as suggested by Mr. Newberry below, but I'm confident that it vibrates in the vertical and horizontal plane. Dampening these vibrations can/should make it easier to find these sweet spots a the vibration amplitude is attenuated. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it. crazy

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I do have my theories and, trust me, they will be worth every penny you guys pay to hear them.
I feel like I got my moneys worth, for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For many years I always free-floated, then started full-length neutral pressure bedding on whippy barrels. I now bed lots of barrels full length with great success.

I have never bedded with a pressure point and had it remain stable over a long period of time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I'm asking about TI style pressure point inside the barrel channel near the fore end tip. Designed to apply pressure on the barrel when the stock is tightened.

I'm conditioned for free floating barrels and thinking about buying a TI stock for my M700. Any good experience with this style? Do you grind them out or leave them?

Rifles talk...yet nobody listens.

Simply shoot the fhuqking thing with open ears and take it from there.

Now as to vertical stringing/bipod bitch slap,that is more of a function of the integrity of the stock,than it is the bedding job. A rigid handle(that means McMillan or a Chassis),is impervious to such thangs,as compared to Living Handles,Laminates and other attempts at Synthetics handles. So you must weigh integrity first,before painting yourself in a corner and then be realistic for the application of the blueprint and how it will be used.

I've had/have Ti's from 1st Gen REAL one's,to various Faux versions of same and none are of McMillan integrity/rigidity. They do however respond VERY well,to slight upwards pressure and a pad and they stay static in that regard. I'd gun as issued,with a dab bedded lug and tang affirmations,then let it tell me what it wanted. A silicone pad up front,is very often a Magical Cure,for long term POA/POI satisfactions. BT/DT and have ALL the T-shirts.

That being said,I never shoot said platforms from a bipod and all that work is either offa ruck or MPAJ Hasty Rest,with thunks given to pressure impetus and release. Said platforms have sold ALOTTA rifles in the flesh,after others have gunned same. Hint.

I've piles and piles of rifles with fore end pressure and FL neutral bedding and have lonnnggggggg been a fan of silicone pads,to sweeten the pot. This covering the gamut from 6-pounders to 18-pounders and all stops in between. Hint.

Catching the lug,orienting the tang and keeping schit out of a fhuqking bind are THE opening moves and tip pressure is something that gets critiqued,as empties fly out the port.

I tend to rest handles of the ilk near the receiver ring,to extoll the inherent integrity virtues of said location,in relation to it's influx upon a barreled action. Montucky handles are more rigid than any/all things Ti and they LOVE a silicone or similar pad.

Have never had one shoot "loose",wiggle or stray...mainly because they cain't.

Hint.

You've been led to water.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Boxer, will you post a picture showing this silicone pad? Exactly what is it and where could something similar be found?

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I found a 4"x4" x 1mm thick piece on Fleabay for about $4.50 shipped. Clearance on my Montucky barrel channel is not much. I too would like Stick to hang some pixels.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Rifles talk...yet nobody listens.

Simply shoot the fhuqking thing with open ears and take it from there.

Now as to vertical stringing/bipod bitch slap,that is more of a function of the integrity of the stock,than it is the bedding job. A rigid handle(that means McMillan or a Chassis),is impervious to such thangs,as compared to Living Handles,Laminates and other attempts at Synthetics handles. So you must weigh integrity first,before painting yourself in a corner and then be realistic for the application of the blueprint and how it will be used.

I've had/have Ti's from 1st Gen REAL one's,to various Faux versions of same and none are of McMillan integrity/rigidity. They do however respond VERY well,to slight upwards pressure and a pad and they stay static in that regard. I'd gun as issued,with a dab bedded lug and tang affirmations,then let it tell me what it wanted. A silicone pad up front,is very often a Magical Cure,for long term POA/POI satisfactions. BT/DT and have ALL the T-shirts.

That being said,I never shoot said platforms from a bipod and all that work is either offa ruck or MPAJ Hasty Rest,with thunks given to pressure impetus and release. Said platforms have sold ALOTTA rifles in the flesh,after others have gunned same. Hint.

I've piles and piles of rifles with fore end pressure and FL neutral bedding and have lonnnggggggg been a fan of silicone pads,to sweeten the pot. This covering the gamut from 6-pounders to 18-pounders and all stops in between. Hint.

Catching the lug,orienting the tang and keeping schit out of a fhuqking bind are THE opening moves and tip pressure is something that gets critiqued,as empties fly out the port.

I tend to rest handles of the ilk near the receiver ring,to extoll the inherent integrity virtues of said location,in relation to it's influx upon a barreled action. Montucky handles are more rigid than any/all things Ti and they LOVE a silicone or similar pad.

Have never had one shoot "loose",wiggle or stray...mainly because they cain't.

Hint.

You've been led to water.

Stumpy....

next time you lead someone to water....

Do the wife a favor...

While you're there...

Take a Bath...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.