Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got an AR10 buffer tube an/spring/buffer yesterday and assembled it to my lower. Next steps are to get a BCG and barrel.

The likely chambering is .308W but 6.5CM is a distant possibility. Some AR10's I've held were ungodly heavy on the front end, which leave me with questions about what barrel length and profile to get. I do plan to get a lightweight handguard and the eventual plan is to add a suppressor as well. Accuracy is an important factor.

Thought I'd ask the more experienced people here what their recommendations are for length and profile, and why.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for any suggestions.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I building myself it would be a 20 inch tube

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are going to add a suppressor to a 308, I don't think I'd consider anything other than a 16". If not I'd go at least 18 or 20. I don't like the blast of a 16" 308, especially if it has a muzzle brake.

Profile? Sorry, I like em heavy and I like to shoot them prone. Maybe someone else will chime in.

ETA: Faxon makes some different 308 barrels - http://faxonfirearms.com/barrels/?sort=pricedesc

Last edited by BarryC; 02/12/17.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything is a compromise, it all depends on your intended use for the rifle. If its a bench gun that you don't plan on walking far with, go with a long, heavy barrel. They are easier to shoot accurately and don't heat up as fast. If its a hunting rifle, I'd keep the length at 18" or so and go no heavier than a mid weight barrel.

I started my 308 with a 20" lighter weight Lilja (.750" under the handguards and forward of gas block) with a rifle length gas system. I love the barrel profile, no complaints with weight or accuracy. A while back I cut it back to 17" to be a little more handy with a suppressor attached. I also found it runs smoother with the gas port closer to the muzzle, especially with the suppressor.

Large frame 308's are fun to shoot but they aren't mountain rifles and really don't even make a practical hunting rifle. To get them to balance right, they need a little weight out front so they are usually going to be 9-10lbs+ with a scope on them.

Last edited by wareagle700; 02/12/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to all.

I'm not building a mountain rifle or even a rifle that will get carried a lot. The suppressor will be a quick detach type that will be shared with other rifles.

Already have a 16.5" Ruger Scout .308 and am leaning toward a 20" tube for this one.

Truth is, I'm not sure WHY I'm building one except that I CAN. Although I had been telling my wife Trump would win ever since he got the nomination, I bought the lower and upper before the election thinking if Hillary won the prices would skyrocket. Now that I have the parts, I can't seem to just leave them in the safe...

Guess the main goal is to have FUN. It will likely be a range gun 99% of the time. I say its not intended to be a match gun but my favorite at the range is banging steel and clays at 500 and 600 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The heart of an AR-10 is the bolt carrier group, it's heavy. Next is the appropriate buffer, it's heavy too. Trying to balance it out with a light barrel won't work.

So go 20" and make it heavy enough to settle down good, it'll help negate zero shift when hanging a 1 lb. can off he end of it.

A handy dandy AR-10 carbean just doesn't work out well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I highly recommend the Lilja barrels. Either their 20" or 18" medium weight would be an excellent choice. Both have rifle length gas systems which I would recommend for any barrel length 16"-20" on a 308.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lilja, you say. I got a buddy that has a DPMS 16 inch barreled model. He wants to put a 20 inch barrel on it. I will pass that on. Oh and where can he get the best deal?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought direct from Lilja. If you send them your bolt they will check headspace for you also, if he doesn't already have he gauges.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Having owned the S&W MP-10 with a light profile barrel, I really thought it would be the way to go for a field rifle. After about a year of trying various loads, I couldn't get it under a couple inches with any of them. It shoot pretty much everything OK, but nothing really great.

The accuracy would have covered everything I want do, but the excess weight and the accuracy difference between the AR and a bolt rifle pushed me to let it go.

I would agree that the heavy barrel, while less carry-able, is probably going to be better on the firing line than a light profile one.

Ballistics Advantage makes barrels for Aero, and seem to have a good reputation for casual shooters. I'm finishing a 6.5 CM upper at the moment, like the OP, I had the parts...

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/12/17.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
First off, 308 AR's are different the AR15's. The main differences are obviously size and weight and one that's not obvious is that they are more critical to shoot accurately than bolt guns. Any flaw in technique or follow through will show up with a 308 gas gun that won't in a bolt gun. Shorter barrels tend to show less issues with bad technique than longer barrels.

Second, There is no way I would choose to shoot a 20in barreled AR10/SR25 unless it was a dedicated match rifle. A 18-20in barreled 308 AR with a suppressor is just stupid ungainly. Suppressed 308 gas guns that are not dedicate match rifles, are best with a 16in barrel... or shorter. They can still be shot to past 800 yards, yet are somewhat manageable. They're still pigs, but manageable pigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of Armalites. One got rebarreled to an 18" medium weight Shilen/Rainier Ultramatch barrel in .308. It shoots well, consistently around 1"-1.25" with a variety of loads.

I also have a SASS that's never been able to do much under 1½", despite much fiddling with loads, trigger, big Nightforce scope, etc. I think I will make a 6.5 Creedmoor out of this rifle, although a really primo .308 bull barrel might shrink groups a lot as well. The rifle is heavy, and comes with adjustable gas block, so I think it will eventually get a can.
McGowan will build a Armalite pattern barrel, so will Krieger. I'll probably have Krieger do it as it's really annoying to have a really heavy rifle that isn't terribly accurate. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Armalite shoots well. But I end up with vertically strung groups off the bench. If it weren't for the stringing, it would shoot 5 shots just around 1/2 MOA.

But Formidilosus is right, it's a pig. IMHO all 308 ARs are pigs. Huge BCGs with bolt releases you have to pound.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My "light" (10 lbs or so) AR-10

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Some of the feedback here sounds like relatively old tech for 308 ARs. It doesn't have to be that way.

I've posted this before - this is my 18" 308 next to my 16" 5.56. The 308 is slightly bigger, especially in the magwell, but only weighs 1/4 lb more as pictured.

I'm using a light weight bolt carrier that is the same weight as an M16 carrier, and a carbine buffer. The lower mass parts do help make the gun less picky about shooting technique. Tuning the gas system right makes a huge difference too.

Never seen any difference in the bolt release compared to my AR15s. They feel/function the same to me.

The barrel is not a big heavy pig, or a super light profile, but it shoots well without stringing. I could carry it hunting if I wanted, the bulk is more an issue than the weight.

I will say that my buddy's 16" DPMS is considerably heavier and doesn't run nearly as well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While I'm at it, how about recommendations for a cheap handguard?

Need DPMS high profile type. Since this will be a scoped rifle, I don't have any real need for a rail or keymod or m-lok slots. No slots at all is OK, too.

Weight is a concern so if keymod is lighter than m-lok I'll probably go that route. Seems like 15" to 17" will be the likely winner, depending on barrel length, most likely 18-20".

TIA

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Are you referring to that goofy "high top" setup DPMS made? Or does it look like my pic above with a standard height rail? The pic in your OP looks like a standard rail, not a high top, but I think DPMS did make a couple variations that are similar in height. I think what you have in the OP is considered "standard height", with one of DPMS's options being lower than that. I could be wrong though, and it's hard to tell from a pic.

I don't think there are many (any?) "cheap" 308 handguard options. The one in my pic above is a 15" Midwest SS series, I'm a fan of their SSK handguards. They have newer versions now but I don't know if any of them are for a high rail.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/14/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"DPMS high" profile is pretty common and is whats needed for Aero uppers, MEGA, SR-25, and many other manufacturers. It's not the upper with the super high riser.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, not the 'goofy "high top" setup' but rather the "high profile" that was standard on DPMS rifles until they came out with the "low profile" rail.

I've been looking at the MI guards, including this 15" M-Lok version:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-308ss15-dhm.htm

Have fond some keymod guards in the $147 to $165 range but prefer the M-lok. Don't know it I prefer it enough to pay a $50 premium.

Have also found some 16.5" and a 17" guard. Might consider them if I go with a 20" barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yondering -

Thanks for the details. The last few days I've been thinking an 18" barrel with an adjustable gas block is probably the best choice for me. Glad to hear it is only a few ounces heavier than your AR-15.

You mention a light weight BCG. Whose are you using?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.