Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I lighten my own carriers, but the final weight is very similar to JP's steel LMOS carriers. My 308 carriers finish out at 10.4 oz with the gas key, similar to an AR15 full auto carrier. IIRC the stock carriers were 14+ oz. I think JP's LMOS is ~10.8 oz and of course are good high quality.

I re-profiled my PSA barrel, but you can buy light 308 barrels from several companies now, Faxon is one that comes to mind. I forget the exact weight, but IIRC my 18" barrel ended up at 33 oz, and Faxon sells one that is 32 oz I think, although that may be a 16".

Definitely +1 on using an adjustable gas block. Partly because there can be a big difference in port pressure between mil 7.62 and some commercial 308; my rifle runs either one well but needs to be tuned for it, commercial 308 ends up overgassed and shoots poorly if tuned for M80 ball.

[Linked Image]

ARIC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I own or have owned multiple 16", 18", and 20" large frame ARs in 308 & 260. All are run suppressed. No two ways about it, the 16" is the one I grab the most. The others aren't even close. With a can they get stupid long and the 16" is the sweet spot. I fought this for years and built 18" & 20" guns because I was concerned about velocity. Eventually I landed on the 16" just like a shooting buddy who had already been through the same experience said I would.

RLTW
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
......175 SMK are leaving the 16" gun trial 2510fps. That's 10fps slower than the 20" barrel.

RLTW
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by greentimber
......175 SMK are leaving the 16" gun trial 2510fps. That's 10fps slower than the 20" barrel.

Nice, that's valuable info.

What's your load for that one, if you don't mind sharing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
A 18-20in barreled 308 AR with a suppressor is just stupid ungainly.

LOL.

18 inch .308 with 7 inch Ti can is pretty far from "stupid ungainly".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Large frame AR-10 are ungainly but the problem is not the barrel.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
While I'm at it, how about recommendations for a cheap handguard?

Need DPMS high profile type. Since this will be a scoped rifle, I don't have any real need for a rail or keymod or m-lok slots. No slots at all is OK, too.

Weight is a concern so if keymod is lighter than m-lok I'll probably go that route. Seems like 15" to 17" will be the likely winner, depending on barrel length, most likely 18-20".

TIA

Check out monstrum tactical of you aren't looking to break the bank on a 308 DPMS handgaurd. Under $100 including barrel nut

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Check out monstrum tactical of you aren't looking to break the bank on a 308 DPMS handgaurd. Under $100 including barrel nut

Thanks, but all I saw there was DPMS low-profiles guards.

Found this tonight:

Mentium USA
15" Slim M-Lok Free Float Handguard for High Profile .308 Rifle

Regular price $69.99.

https://www.mentium-usa.com/products/mentium-15-slim-m-lok-free-float-handguard-for-308-rifle

[Linked Image]

Slim profile and looks pretty lightweight with 2 partial Picatinny rails, both undercut.

For $70 and free shipping I don't know how I can go wrong.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/22/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You generally get what you pay for with AR parts. I'd personally pay a little more for a handguard from a quality manufacturer.

It's your money.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't see any anti-rotation locks, nor do I think any light weight rail without a Picatinny spine will hold up. But it's your money.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
You generally get what you pay for with AR parts. I'd personally pay a little more for a handguard from a quality manufacturer.

It's your money.

No argument about getting what you pay for, at least most of the time.

Guess I'll find out what the quality is like in a few days. The handguard adds nothing to accuracy and for now I intend to spend the money saved on the barrel. If necessary, the handguard is easy to upgrade later.

Will post my thoughts on its quality after I receive it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I don't see any anti-rotation locks, nor do I think any light weight rail without a Picatinny spine will hold up. But it's your money.

I don't see any locks either. Guessing it just relies on the tightened barrel nut, which means it is adequate for now but likely to get changed out down the road.

As to the Picatinny spine, the base (to the bottom of the slots) is there, it is just missing the ridges, which add weight but nothing to strength.

Good point on the locks. For now my intent is to get the thing and running. Still need the barrel and BCG. Haven't decided on the BCG but looking hard at Ballistic Advantage for the barrel. Any experience with their stuff? (My goal is MOA accuracy, not match accuracy.)

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I haven't used them but have heard good things about X-Caliber barrels. They do have an appealing "spec your own" ordering system, where you choose twist, rifling, profile, etc.

I did reprofile an X-Caliber barrel once, and the bore looked good to my eye but I didn't shoot it.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/23/17.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I'm a fan of the AP handguards...Not the cheapest out there, but they do utilize a steel nut and four screws to secure the HG in place. A very robust system in my opinion.

Last edited by m1919; 02/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Question about the anti-rotation locks:

Has anyone here had a problem with a properly installed guard that did not have them?

Not talking about extreme use, just trips to the range.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started with LaRue rails so I've never used any type of rail that didn't have them.

I did use Hogue tubes and never had one come loose but It wouldn't and won't really matter if it's just gonna be a hand guard with no front sight on it.

Even if it did come loose the gas tube would'nt let it come off on most types of barrel nuts. It might wobble back and forth but that's it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Has anyone here had a problem with a properly installed guard that did not have them?

I have not, and do use my ARs for more than just trips to the range.

However, I also install my handguards with Loctite, usually the green 680, between the nut and handguard. The only way the handguard will rotate at that point is if the whole barrel nut loosens, never had that happen though.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

I have not, and do use my ARs for more than just trips to the range.

However, I also install my handguards with Loctite, usually the green 680, between the nut and handguard. The only way the handguard will rotate at that point is if the whole barrel nut loosens, never had that happen though.

Given the zero lack of responses to the contrary, I'm guessing there haven't been many problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had handguards rotate loose but it was due to poor QC from the factory. A properly installed barrel nut shouldn't work loose.

I think most of the handguards with anit rotation tabs or designs are there as a fail safe, not necessarily to prevent common problems. I personally like the feature but wouldn't loose sleep over not having it.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DPMS LR338 Federal and I am pleased with the way it shoots and the big force it takes deer with. It has a Bushnell 4-30x50mm 6500elite with mil dot and LaRue one piece quick release mount.

Last edited by 264wm; 02/27/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got home today to find the hand-guard waiting for me. No barrel yet but I screwed it onto the upper to see if the rail matched up. Perfect fit.

The hand-guard came with two 2-3/8" m-lok Picatinny rails, barrel nut, shims and screws. Was not expecting the rails.

The hand-guard rail is milled out on the underside to further reduce weight.

If I were to find faults it would be these:

1. The spacing on the guard's Picatinny rail does not match up perfectly with the spacing on the upper. (Don't know it that is normal or not.)

2. The edges of the cutouts on the guard are a little sharper than I would prefer. Some time in a tumbler or maybe some sand-blasting would have helped.

For $69.99 delivered, though, I am quite happy with it.

Now to get a barrel!

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 652 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.