Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I can guarantee if the dam fails, whatever money was saved by building it almost good enough, and maintaining it almost good enough will be several orders of magnitude shy of the cost of the devastation.

Probably sufficient to bankrupt the already teetering California government mismanagement.

The dam isn't gonna fail and neither is the spillway...bank on it. If Trump really wanted to drain the swamp he should direct the U.S. DOJ to seek copies of the hard drives of everybody connected to this debacle....from the DWR honchos to the Governor...I sure wish I owned the quarry they're getting their rock from....I wonder if the DOT is giving waivers for the guys running the rock trucks...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can guarantee if the dam fails, whatever money was saved by building it almost good enough, and maintaining it almost good enough will be several orders of magnitude shy of the cost of the devastation.

Probably sufficient to bankrupt the already teetering California government mismanagement.

Aw, c'mon, if we hold hands and chant loud enough, more capital will just float in on gossamer wings, and once again all will be right in la-la land.
......I HATE that the folks out there are having to go through this.

...the "Make Lemonade" side of my nature sees this as a TEST CASE to use as this whole new approach gains ground.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe
So - this info they're putting out about 30' to the bedrock meaning only a 30' wall of water would imply that the concrete emergency "spillway" - which is, in fact, at least on the south end, actually a section of dam itself (because of the natural slope in that direction)...is embedded directly upon bedrock. I guess. Or not....

Fester has reasons to be worried. Someone is downplaying this for sure.

The 30' wall of water would be if the dam was filled to top and the 30' cap of the emergency spillway failed.

What isn't being addressed is the failure of the main spillway, a failure that is well below the top of the dam and if that failure led to the dam failing at that level

Could you clarify that for me, I'm not quite following. Thanks

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

The dam isn't gonna fail and neither is the spillway...bank on it. If Trump really wanted to drain the swamp he should direct the U.S. DOJ to seek copies of the hard drives of everybody connected to this debacle....from the DWR honchos to the Governor...I sure wish I owned the quarry they're getting their rock from....I wonder if the DOT is giving waivers for the guys running the rock trucks...

So the officials caused this crisis so they could sell rocks from the quarry and make money? Got it crazy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
....it was the suggestion that somehow the river level below the dam was high enough to force water and debris back up into the turbines and back uphill into the lake....it's IMPOSSIBLE for that to happen...

MM-
I can tell you that the water of a high tide here in Cook Inlet will back up the Kenai River 12 MILES.

The amount of H2O coming over/through that damn dam absolutely WILL back up the river water above it's outlet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by FreeMe
So - this info they're putting out about 30' to the bedrock meaning only a 30' wall of water would imply that the concrete emergency "spillway" - which is, in fact, at least on the south end, actually a section of dam itself (because of the natural slope in that direction)...is embedded directly upon bedrock. I guess. Or not....

Fester has reasons to be worried. Someone is downplaying this for sure.

The 30' wall of water would be if the dam was filled to top and the 30' cap of the emergency spillway failed.

What isn't being addressed is the failure of the main spillway, a failure that is well below the top of the dam and if that failure led to the dam failing at that level

Could you clarify that for me, I'm not quite following. Thanks

Imagine this hole

[Linked Image]

Being exposed to this

[Linked Image]

To the point that the hole works it's way back to the point that the dam at that point can't hold the water back behind it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I gotcha

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surf's up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best picture I've seen of the emergency spillway

[Linked Image]

Looking at the picture lower right edge of the spillway, looks like they frightfully close to failure.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

MM-
I can tell you that the water of a high tide here in Cook Inlet will back up the Kenai River 12 MILES.

The amount of H2O coming over/through that damn dam absolutely WILL back up the river water above it's outlet.

I understand that....high tide can raise or lower the Sacramento River a couple of feet in the summertime, and Sacramento's about 75 miles from the bay, but there's no way in hell the water coming out of the discharge at the bottom of a 900 ft. dam is gonna get pushed back up the tubes by the river below it...even if the river was a foot below the lake level... it's simple physics...it's impossible.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best picture I've seen of the emergency spillway

It is so....THANKS !

The wide angle lenses those photography drones are packing don't make it easy to read the actual terrain though.

Any body have a current weather forecast for the area ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
....it was the suggestion that somehow the river level below the dam was high enough to force water and debris back up into the turbines and back uphill into the lake....it's IMPOSSIBLE for that to happen...

MM-

We're wasting our breath trying to talk to this guy.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as he continues to ignore multiple engineers with experience and the simple physics of energy lost due to spinning those blades...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Current forecast is for three storms in a row.

Light rain

"Light rain

Heavy rain

The dame should be 60 feed down when #3 hits

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Also

The spillway erosion is decreasing

Water is clear and the red-brown mud flow is grey green.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
As long as he continues to ignore multiple engineers with experience and the simple physics of energy lost due to spinning those blades...

I have to siphon off our fire fighting pond after good storms, with 2" PVC pipe...it empties into a small wash about a hundred feet downhill....even if the water was spinning blades at the bottom, there is no way the pressure inside that 2" PVC is going to let ANYTHING casually wash back up the pipe....

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Imagine this hole

[Linked Image]

Being exposed to this

[Linked Image]

Anyone else wonder where the huge boulders in the second phot came from?

Dug up and shoved downhill by the torrent?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That huge boulder at the base of the spillway may very well be the bedrock sluffing off as was pointed out in Greg's earlier post regarding the geology of the bedrock?

Last edited by irfubar; 02/15/17.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

We're wasting our breath trying to talk to this guy.

GTC

I agree you're wasting breath... http://www.water.ca.gov/swp/facilities/Oroville/hyatt.cfm

Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.