Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
grinI'm sure everyone has a bucket list. This is for deer hunting only. Also let us keep it to things that we have some hope of doing. I know everyone here wants a 240BC deer, but that's not what I'm asking. I want a doable list. Let's also keep it to 5 or less. Also let's leave out good health etc.
Based on affordability, mine are;
1. A deer hunt up north. (I think I found it)
2. A decent red stag, free roaming or on a large high fenced ranch
3. A decent low fenced deer lease, with my buddies, in a game managed area.
Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Did Ingwe die, again ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Did Ingwe die, again ?

And Christ only rose from the dead once...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Did Ingwe die, again ?

And Christ only rose from the dead once...

Yeah..but I was there...and I learned how....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To move to Alaska. Then we'd have sitka blacktails

I doubt I'd shoot a big huge deer anymore... I'd let someone else or let him breed. Culls are another matter though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 58 and change. My bucket list is short.

1) A moose.
2) A red stag
3) A Kentucky bull elk

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is my bucket list. If we're limited to deer only, it would be 1, 2, and 5.

1. Mullie
2. Elk
3. Speed Goat
4. Some other kind of big ass goat with big ass horns
5. Caribou

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i use to want to shoot a bear, black-type. i've about talked myself out of it.

so, to shoot a buck from a ground stand, or stalking, not from 30 feet up a southern yellow pine.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'd like to get a "Big Buck" patch in Maine (buck over 200#), the same in NH and I'd like to get a buck in Massachusetts with something other than an automobile.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got A+ whitetail and black bear hunting out my backdoor would like to go west with my boy for mulies or elk some day

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roe deer is number 1 for me...don't know why, but have always wanted one. I am planing to go to England at some point to shoot one.
I'll get a Chinese Water deer too while I am at it.

At home, numbers 3-5 crop up:
Sitka blacktail
Coues Whitetail
Axis-am planning to go to Hawaii next year for this one.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am pretty lucky, lots of elk, a few caribou, many many antelope, Africa, and two kinds of sheep..

My bucket list is:

one final bighorn, maybe another bull moose, perhaps another black bear only a diff. color, and lots of birds with my dogs..

Life has been pretty good to me, now that I think of it.

Molon Labe
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Killed a 140ish whitetail here in PA this season that may very well be the most meaningful deer I will ever harvest. So on to my list!

1. Elk (just sent my non res big game combo app in yesterday)
2. Mulie (See above)
3. Moose
4. Antelope (wife wants to shoot one too)
5. Hunt all of the above with my boys and wife...

Hunt...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a simple man. I just want to share deer season with my son and a few good friends as many times as I possibly can before I leave this rock.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The man said this is for deer only.

1. I want a Columbian Blacktail from WA or OR
2. A Mule Deer preferably from the mountains
3. Saskatchewan Whitetail
4. WI or MI U.P. whitetail (may very well do that one this year)
5. Anticosti island Whitetail.
6. Roe deer in eastern Europe.

Last edited by moosemike; 02/18/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by captdavid
grinI'm sure everyone has a bucket list. This is for deer hunting only.
Captdavid

Anticosti Island whitetail hunt
Nebraska sand-hills Mulie
Alaskan Sitka blacktail
Canadian whitetail
Western coues deer hunt

Like many folks, the biggest obstacle I have is time. Work is always in the way eek .
Luckily, (at Least in some ways) I'm on the downhill slide and in 3 years I'll begin crossing some of these off the ol' bucket list.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All I want is a freezer full of venison and the possibilty of seeing a nice one from my stand. The small place I hunted last season, which we're going to lease this year, offers both possibilities, and is only 15 minutes away. The only downside is the lack of "big woods", but I can get that experience on any number of public land areas nearby as well.

Someday, I'd like to try a nicely-appointed lodge operation out, again where nice ones can reasonably be expected to exist, with all the work done by staff. Got a place picked out, with the 2018 season as the goal, Lord willing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, what I really want is to live somewhere where I could have a reasonable expectation of getting a buck on public land during rifle season. If such a place still exists. I'd trade all those hunts I want to go on for that.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You don't feel that way in Pa?

Tell ya what; watch Randy Newberg's shows on YouTube. He does well in Montana on public land.

Wyoming couldn't be bad. Colorado either.

I love just sharing a picturesque camp with good friends and having the space to hunt hard and the potential for a decent representative buck.

Pa treated me REALLY well this year, as did South Dakota. I'll be back to both those locations in the next several years... Pa this fall.

I'm saving PPs in Wyoming for a good mulie.

Want a Sitka black tail from Alaska some day. Washington or Oregon black tail someday too. Idaho whitetail sounds good but Arizona coues sounds like a dream!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Tell ya what; watch Randy Newberg's shows on YouTube. He does well in Montana on public land.

Not on public land I don't. When I had access to private land I did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Actually, what I really want is to live somewhere where I could have a reasonable expectation of getting a buck on public land during rifle season. If such a place still exists. I'd trade all those hunts I want to go on for that.
No bucks on public land in Pa? Calling BS on this. We've had a camp in Pa. hunting only State Forest land for over 60 years now, and I never remember a year when there wasn't at least one buck hanging on the game pole. EFW shot a nice buck from our camp last fall.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd just like to revisit some of the elk hunting areas of my past; to one last time view the beautiful mountain vistas of the Uinta Mts, the area around Spread and Grizzly creeks, the mountain benches along the Idaho/Wy border by Smoot, Shell creek/MacDougals Gap and Thompson Pass. Maybe one last deer hunt above Cokeville. Used to be some nice whitetails up there. I loved walking through the large Aspen groves there, and by Big Piney reservoir, the Wyoming Range, Horse creek, west of Merna. Got some nice whitetails and mulies there, way back when. Memories revisited, all in the Nat. Forest.
I don't ask for much.

Last edited by Wyogal; 02/19/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
No bucks on public land in Pa? Calling BS on this. We've had a camp in Pa. hunting only State Forest land for over 60 years now, and I never remember a year when there wasn't at least one buck hanging on the game pole. EFW shot a nice buck from our camp last fall.

Now did I say there are no bucks on public land in PA? No, I didn't. And what's one buck on a game pole for a crew of guys ? The other thing you don't understand is PA is a big state and I'm in the most heavily populated side of it. You're not. You don't hunt SEPA public lands. You don't see the orange army.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

How many days of the rifle season in Pa do you usually have to hunt?

4hour plus a little drive for you to the middle of the States big woods country? Which would get you away from the crowds. (Philadelphia to Potter Co. Which is about the max distance from the East.) Combination of State Forests, Gamelands and mountain country that is open.

Mountains around State College an hour or so less. Good Deer Country with a lot of public lands and GameLands.

Cultivate contacts and I would think you should have some great wooded farm country to hunt.

How many acres of GL do you have within a 1.5-hour drive? Guarantee they will be little hunted middle week and back in a bit.

2.5 hours NE of Pittsburgh will put me in the middle North of the States Big wood. 2.5 North will put me in the ANF. 1 hour NE will also be excellent Deer hunting. Lot of places in between I could hunt if I worked at making it happen.

Hard in Pa to be further than 4 hours away from good public land Deer hunting and most are much closer.

Addition: always nice if one has a traveling/scouting/help bring one out partner. Couple younger guys I know do that up in the ANF. Admittedly they pay their dues and work hard at it. They always don't hunt the same spots every time in that they hunt where they see Deer and sign. Both usually fill their tags every year

Last edited by battue; 02/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sticking to deer only, my bucket list is pretty simple.

1. A nice mule deer, preferable one of the desert mule deer variety.
2. A place within 2 hours of my house that I can successfully hunt (multiple) deer each year without spending a small fortune.
3. Another CA blacktail hunt up in the Lake Tahoe area with my dad (would be even better shoot a deer this time too)!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by efw

Not on public land I don't. When I had access to private land I did.

Whats you're definition of a good public land PA buck?

Hunt...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The man said this is for deer only.

1. I want a Columbian Blacktail from WA or OR
2. A Mule Deer preferably from the mountains
3. Saskatchewan Whitetail
4. WI or MI U.P. whitetail (may very well do that one this year)
5. Anticosti island Whitetail.
6. Roe deer in eastern Europe.

Your #4 might be tougher than you think. The winters and wolves have the deer almost wiped out in the U.P. Good luck though.
The bluffs in western Wisconsin would be my choice.

Last edited by Stickbow; 02/20/17.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A still hunt in Maine
Desert Mule deer hunt in Mexico.
Coues deer out west.
Argentina and New Zealand for the biggie.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now did I say there are no bucks on public land in PA? No, I didn't. And what's one buck on a game pole for a crew of guys ? The other thing you don't understand is PA is a big state and I'm in the most heavily populated side of it. You're not. You don't hunt SEPA public lands. You don't see the orange army.
You can reach any part of the state in about one tank of gas. It's your choice to hunt in a inferior area when there are way better options less than half a day's drive away. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Join us in central Pa's big woods some time. You'll see some other hunters, as it is public land, but the opportunities to harvest a nice deer are definitely there.

Last edited by gophergunner; 02/20/17.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I'll be the first to admit that what happened to me this past fall at gophergunner's camp was likely a fluke, BUT I saw another legal buck while I was dragging mine down the mountain. My hunting partner saw one while he was on his way up to meet me (could have been the same one), and mjbgalt saw one up on top of the mountain that evening. Unfortunately they didn't get shot opportunities, but I'd say that's pretty darn good odds.

Finally, Angel and I drove down from Michigan because we were feeling as though opportunities were lacking up here. Mjbgalt drove from Ohio for the same reason. We were all three really happy with our odds and planning to go back.

The tactic I use just about everywhere I hunt is I look over topo and aerial maps and if my response to a potential spot is, "Boy that sure looks like a nice place to hunt!" I figure the same goes for everyone else. If my response is, "Oh my you'd have to be nuts to hunt THAT hell hole!" I figure that also is what everyone else thinks and I go hunt it.

Even if it requires driving and/or walking a ways to get there.

Angel, a couple other buddies from church, and me will be over near Sabula again this fall! I hope to see you with a big wide grin on your face!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee, my county is bigger than Rhode Island, has like 75,000 people living in it, and 75%+ of all the land in the county is Public Land... plenty of opportunity to hunt on Federal Land here...but the geography certainly isn't Kansas...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just a former private land hunter who has been forced onto public land and is having a tough time navigating my way around the orange army. Nothing wrong with PA public lands I just have to find the right one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've got to go where others won't, or can't.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine is simple, a mule deer buck that's worth a shoulder mount. It'll be on public land, no doubt. Ever since we relocated to CO I've always focused on elk because I love elk hunting, mule deer have been an afterthought. I need to change that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My desires will never happen...

But I'd love to hunt Caribou in Quebec...

Hunt each Scandinavian Country...

Hunt Australia and New Zealand...

Hunt Scotland, Ireland and Germany...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wellllll, since my name is on the thread and I have been fortunate to have filled my bucket list some years ago, I might as well post the last and ultimate thing on my list. Everything else I've hunted ( except leopard...) pales in comparison...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wellllll, since my name is on the thread and I have been fortunate to have filled my bucket list some years ago, I might as well post the last and ultimate thing on my list. Everything else I've hunted ( except leopard...) pales in comparison...

[Linked Image]

Wow what an animal sir. A big old Buffalo are on top of my list but looking at the prices these days I suspect it will remain only a dream! Second is a 40"+ Sable

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
A big old Buffalo are on top of my list but looking at the prices these days I suspect it will remain only a dream! Second is a 40"+ Sable

Like this one? grin

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That was mean.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
No worries....Elkhunter49 knows I covet his big Axis......... grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pics Ingwe....

Big Axis is on my list for sure. Not going to Africa this year so maybe I'll go after one in April or May, not sure when is the best time, as I want a hard horned Axis.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
A big old Buffalo are on top of my list but looking at the prices these days I suspect it will remain only a dream! Second is a 40"+ Sable

Like this one? grin

[Linked Image]

Wow that was mean..... Just kidding buddy that's a beautiful animal and exactly what I'm looking for. "I have a dream"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Is that what's known as a double-intender?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Let’s see here….. A giant stinky, muddy monster Buffalo and a giant huge curled horn Sable vs a couple good Axis…..
Winner is the hunter from the dark continent hands down all day any day!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/21/17.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
To shoot a big, rutty, sumbitch in Canada.

A hunt on Anticosti Island.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It's always funny to see a guy bitch about where he hunts and how over crowded it is...but won't go hunt anywhere else.

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm just a former private land hunter who has been forced onto public land and is having a tough time navigating my way around the orange army. Nothing wrong with PA public lands I just have to find the right one.

...and stop letting your mourning over a lost spot stop you from making the most of each season... get out there and DO IT MAN.

We're all getting older and its more of a challenge each season... until we're not, and our seasons are behind us.

A buddy of mine says "If you've got one foot in the past and one foot in the future you're doing nothing but pissing all over the present!"

truer words have never been spoken.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pics Ingwe....

Big Axis is on my list for sure. Not going to Africa this year so maybe I'll go after one in April or May, not sure when is the best time, as I want a hard horned Axis.

June is your Huckleberry for big hard horned Axis in the rut. ( doesn't affect flavor of meat, and the vocalizations are something to hear!)

Last edited by ingwe; 02/22/17.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pics Ingwe....

June is your Huckleberry for big hard horned Axis in the rut. ( doesn't affect flavor of meat, and the vocalizations are something to hear!)

Good advice for sure, go in early June if possible before they start breaking off their brows

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/22/17.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would like to kill a 400 lb pig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.