Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
WTS: used books on various US and world history and outdoors topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES.

To reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take books #s_____" ON THIS THREAD as a "reply" to the ad. Then I'll acknowledge your order on the ad, mark the book or books SPF on the ad, and send you a PM with my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

Please use PMs for comments or questions, not this threadl

I take cash, MOs, and personal checks made out to me, but don't do PayPal or credit cards or cell phone payments.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE (I save a little on postage on multiple book orders).

American history titles

1) SPF "A River Running West: The Life of John Wesley Powell" by Donald Worster.

2) "The American West: A Twentieth Century History" by Michael Malone and Richard Etulain. Two prize-winning historians, one from Montana State, the other from NMU, provide a compact but comprehensive history of the first nine decades of the 20th century, from the end of the classic Wild West to the Reagan Revolution. A great overview. HB 355 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/maps, 42 B/w photos, index and tables. $6

3) "Plenty-Coups, Chief of the Crows" by Frank B. Lindeman.

4) "Spirit of the New England Tribes: Indian History and Folklore 1620-1984" by William S. Simmons.

5) "The Age of Gold: The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream" by H.W. Brands. The biographer of Benjamin Franklin and TR paints a "big picture" study of the Gold Rush and its economic, political, and morale effects on the new US. Focus on some of the huge characters of the period as well--the men the Gold Rush MADE such as Mark Twain, W.T. Sherman (of later Georgia fame/infame)Jessie Fremont, Jay Gould, William Randolph Hearst, and others. And the adventure of just GETTING to the gold fields! HB 550 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $7

6) "The San Francisco Earthquake." by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan Witts. The biggest thing in "The City" since the Gold Rush generated as many myths and legends, heroes and villains, as the Gold Rush did. Using unpublished records and eyewitness accounts, the authors try to untangle some unlovely truths about an event that everyone agrees WILL happen again. H 316 pp. exc reading cond. w/worn dust jacket. Illus w/maps and many b/w photos. $6

7) "C.S.S. Alabama: Builder, Captain, and Plans" by Charles Grayson Summersett. The Confederate raider "Alabama" was arguably the Confederacy's most effective warship, sinking thousands of tons of US merchant shipping, taking prizes to help support the Southern economy, and sinking one US warship in her truly globe-girdling raids. This book was commissioned and published b the University of Alabama to preserve the history and only existing plans of this record-setting vessel. It includes the history of her service, biographies of her English builder, her American captain, Raphael Semmes, plus frameable repros of her plans (separate in cover pocket). HB 147 pp. 8x11" format exc.cond w/faded dust jacket, illus w/b/w photos and repros of contemporaty illustrations index, and 3 plan sheets $10

8) SPF "Glenn Curtis: Pioneer of Flight" by C. R. Roseberry.

Outdoor explorations and adventures

9) SPF "The Bounty: the True Story of the Mutiny on the "Bounty," by Caroline Alexander.

10) "The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by the Irish Sailor-Saints" by Tim Severin. Sailing from Ireland to Newfoundland in a traditional Irish medieval boat covered with 49 ox hides! Ice, storms, whales--sew or die! Pretty well proves that St. Brendan COULD have done it. HB 292 pp. new cond illus w/32 color photos and 46 hand drawings by their Faroese crewman and main food catcher. $7

11) SPF "Krakatoa: the Day the World Exploded, August 27, 1883" by Simon Winchester.

12) "The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber" by Julian Rubenstein. A true story of "Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian pelt smuggling, moonlighting detectives, and broken hearts" says the author. Ever wonder what post-Soviet Eastern Europe is like? Here's a taste (our bank-robbing hero is named "Attila." And he's Hungarian. Cops, robbers, and chaos. HB 319 pp. exc reading cond. but no dust jacket, illus w/b/w photos, maps. $5

Outdoor Life

13) SPF "The Desert Lake: the Story of Nevada's Pyramid Lake" by Sessions S. Wheeler.

14) "Live from Death Valley: Dispatches from America's Low Point" by John Soennichsen. Detailed story of the deep dry hole on the California border: life, death, history and prehistory, dreams and visions, plus Cyprinodon diabolis that lives only in the Devil's Hole! HB 190 pp. new cond. illus w/map, b/w photos. $5

15) "Dangerous Wildlife of California and Nevada: A Guide to Safe Encounters at Home and in the Wild" by F. Lynne Bochleda. From insects to bears, including reptiles, fish, and jellyfish, plus the diseases wildlife can transmit to humans. No magic here, just commonsense advice. Quality PB 306 pp new. cond. illus w/b/w and color photos, diagrams, maps, lists, and charts. $6

16) "Sport Fish of the Pacific: All Popular Species, ID, Edibility, How-To-Tips" by Vic Dunaway. Sportfishing author and expert's guide to the main West Coast and Hawaiian species by family. More than 250 species in beautiful color plats with habitats, average, and record sizes, and best fishing methods. Quality PB 272 pp. illus w/b/w and color plates and photos, maps $6

17) "Great Fishing Tackle Catalogs of the Golden Age" ed. Samuel Melner and Herman Kessler. Full-sized repros of famous tackle mfrs catalogs, pre-1890, 1890-99, 1900-09, 1910-19, 1920-31. 43 of the most famous mfrs. of that period from John Cheek of London thru Thos. Chubb, Charles Orvis, Hardy, H-I, Marshall Field, The Creek Chub Bait Co., and L.L. Bean. Each section contains commentary from a well-known outdoor writer of that period. HB 8 1/2x11" format 351 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/many line drawings and lithos of tackle. $10

18) "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" by Joseph D. Bates, Jr. Lifelong fly fisherman's classic for Stackpole Press. The "why, how, when, where, and what" of streamers and bucktails in all regions of the US, fresh and salt water, including an Eskimo-inspired bucktail for Alaska. HB 383 pp. exc. cond. w/no dust jacket, slight cover wear. Illus w/48 color fly photos, line drawings of fishing tackle and scenarios. $6

19) "Tinker at Pilgrim Creek" by Annie Dillard. Classic meditation on nature and life from the viewpoint of a cabin on a creek in the Blue Ridge Mountains. A voyage of exploration inward and outward. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 1974. PB 290 pp. exc. cond. $5

20) "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" by Patrick McManus. Humorous essays on the fun and foolishness of fishing, fishermen, and fish by the "Field and Stream" and "Sports Illustrated" staff humor writer. PB 209 pp. in exc. cond. $5

DIY topics

21) "Plank Cooking: the Essence of Natural Wood" by Scoott and Tiffany Haugen. Grilling food on a soaked natural wood plank is an ancient Native American technique modernized here to modern grills and foods. Wood types and their preparation, over 100 recipes beautifully described and illustrated, from appetizers to wild game. Softbound 7x9" format 150 pp. new cond. illus w/many full-color photos, many full-page. $6

22) "Western Horsemanship: the Complete Guide to Riding the Western Horse" by Richard Schrake. A complete basic how-to by an award-winning rider, trainer, coach and judge. Softbound 8 1/2x11" 148 pp. exc. cond. fully illus w/b/w white photos, diagrams and line drawings of tack, saddles, horses, and riding form. Great intro to the subject. SIGNED by author on the cover. $$

23) "The Joy of Home Brewing, Revised 3rd ed." by Charlie Papazian. Homebrewing from elementary to grad school: start o brew or fine-tune your brews to world-class! THE handbook: from ten easy lessons to your first brew, to exotic recipes and flavors. Quality PB 422 pp. exc/new cond illus w/diagrams, tables, charts, b/w photos, glossary of brewing terms, troubleshooting guide. 46

24) SPF "The Field and Stream Fishing Knots Handbook" by Peter Owen and F&S authors.

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the price of any book or books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 02/06/17.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

G
G
Hey Mike, I will take books 1) "A River Running West ($7), number 8) "Glenn Curtis: Pioneer of Flight" ($5), number 11) "Krakatoa ($5) and lastly, number 24) "The Field and Stream Fishing Knots ($4). Thanks! G.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll take 3 & 4

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 1, 8, 11, and 24 SPF to grg32
#s 3 and 4 SPF to wango

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way to both of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mesa - I'll take No.s 9 and 13. Thanks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 9 and 13 SPF to MtnBoomer. Thanks for buying again.

PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will take books 19, 20, & 21.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 19, 20, and 21` SPF to Savage24. Thanks; PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

NB***Since my ability to edit this ad has expired, PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ORDERING ANY REMAINING BOOKS to see which ones ain't sold already!

(*** Latin abbreviation for "Pay Attention", used only by ancient ex-English teachers....like me!).

Last edited by Mesa; 02/07/17.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't see #18 SPF. PM on the way

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #18 SPF to ST50. Thanks! Answer to your PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll take #5, The Age of Gold, Mesa. Thanks!

Fear the crabcat.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #5 SPF to Gypsy Wind. Thanks! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT still some good readin' left!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sunday morning bump!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
One Last Bump for Pres Day!

Hope you guys are all out shootin'!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.