Print Thread
Hop To
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Cabela's is blowing these out at $90. Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? Thinking of picking one up for the AR15 I'm building for my nephew. Not a huge fan of that reticle but for that price he can live with it. His dad has that reticle on his deer rifle so they would be used to it. I looked through one at the store and it seemed OK but curious if anyone had long term experience with this specific model.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKO...hm7PDt098eY8aAjYF8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had one on my 7-08 for a while. The glass was pretty good, but the reticle drove me nuts. I got rid of it because the dang BDC dots got in the way of aiming at animals, which is probably the exact opposite of what a BDC was meant to do.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Remsen
I had one on my 7-08 for a while. The glass was pretty good, but the reticle drove me nuts. I got rid of it because the dang BDC dots got in the way of aiming at animals, which is probably the exact opposite of what a BDC was meant to do.

My thoughts too.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+3, the reticle is a deal breaker for me.
Must be for many others as well since that is the model that is usually on sale/clearance.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah, I don't like the reticle either, but I think all Nikon BDC's have a similar one. On this one though, the circles seemed bigger and closer together than the one on my brother's Monarch. I'll let the kid decide though cuz the glass is pretty decent for the price.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy the 99.00 minox from doug better glass and reticle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gzig5
Cabela's is blowing these out at $90. Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? Thinking of picking one up for the AR15 I'm building for my nephew. Not a huge fan of that reticle but for that price he can live with it. His dad has that reticle on his deer rifle so they would be used to it. I looked through one at the store and it seemed OK but curious if anyone had long term experience with this specific model.

Your link is Cabela's Canada, so pricing and the model are not
listed correctly.

Maybe you can try again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever notice how many refurbished Nikon's you see listed?

LOL
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Buy the 99.00 minox from doug better glass and reticle

This. Much better glass.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For some un known reason, Nikon is putting their gawd awful
BDC reticel in a lot of scopes.
Lots of places are selling the Nikon BDC scopes for less than the regular duel X, and that tells us just how un popular it is.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agree with others, the reticle sucks. Monarch series seem to be nice scopes, the Prostaff..not so much.

Lots of refurbed Nikon products and had some sketchy warranty stuff go on with Nikon as well.

Also agree with the Minox for price point at Cameraland. ( At least I hope I'm right about that, I just ordered one...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by gzig5

Your link is Cabela's Canada, so pricing and the model are not
listed correctly.

Maybe you can try again.

How do you figure that? This is the link to the Canada site. Notice the little maple leaf next to the name?
http://www.cabelas.ca/category/riflescopes/1473?brand=NIKON
That scope isn't on sale in CA

Maybe you can try again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw the mapleleaf at the top, and thought it was the
CA website.
My mistake.

G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I saw the mapleleaf at the top, and thought it was the
CA website.
My mistake.

No worries. I hadn't had a Snickers bar. Didn't mean to be snarky.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Remsen

This was my experience also. Decent glass for the price, but I found myself involuntarily focusing on the reticle instead of the target. Not too bad a problem when shooting at paper, but not too good when shooting at deer.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Do you actually know why or just prefer to take a shot at Nikon? smile

Nikon has a strict policy regarding returns. You can go to your local retail store, buy one, get to the door and decide you really shouldn't have spent that $$. So you walk back to customer service and return it. The scope has never been opened or out of the box, but per policy, it has to go back to Nikon. They do not allow returned/exchanged goods to be resold by stores. So it goes back.

Then, they give it a thorough diagnostics check, re-box it and then sell it as a refurb, even though -- technically -- it is brand new.

As an aside, some stores have things like a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy. Cheapskates -- some whom have bragged about it on the web -- buy a scope at the beginning of deer season, get their deer, return them and then get their money back. Hence, you get refurbs with handling and occasionally ring marks.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Do you actually know why or just prefer to take a shot at Nikon? smile

Nikon has a strict policy regarding returns. You can go to your local retail store, buy one, get to the door and decide you really shouldn't have spent that $$. So you walk back to customer service and return it. The scope has never been opened or out of the box, but per policy, it has to go back to Nikon. They do not allow returned/exchanged goods to be resold by stores. So it goes back.

Then, they give it a thorough diagnostics check, re-box it and then sell it as a refurb, even though -- technically -- it is brand new.

As an aside, some stores have things like a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy. Cheapskates -- some whom have bragged about it on the web -- buy a scope at the beginning of deer season, get their deer, return them and then get their money back. Hence, you get refurbs with handling and occasionally ring marks.

We weren't aware of this policy where I worked. If a Nikon scope was returned, wasn't defective and didn't have marks on it, it was put back in inventory. If it wasn't defective but had mounting marks, it was sold at a reduced price in the Bargain Cave.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cdb

We weren't aware of this policy where I worked. If a Nikon scope was returned, wasn't defective and didn't have marks on it, it was put back in inventory. If it wasn't defective but had mounting marks, it was sold at a reduced price in the Bargain Cave.

Then it's possible you sell used scopes as new???

Just because a scope has no marks doesn't mean it hasn't been mounted and used. I recently sold one of my Conquest scopes that had been in and out of rings at least a dozen times. But it did not have a mark anywhere on it and could have passed as new. And the glass was still factory-perfect and pristine. But it certainly wasn't new, despite its appearance.

This would explain why an acquaintance of mine was so unhappy with his "new" Bushnell a few years ago. It had scratches on the elevation cap and a fingerprint on the objective lens. But the store did exchange it for another -- no questions asked.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is possible.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 37 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.