-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone in the NW buying? I have been shooting 3-4 a day with the snow in my favor and feeding eagles. The fur is pretty dinomite right now.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
getting late.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
February coyotes are usually on the decline and the demand is low, if at all. Might be somebody still buying though, but I doubt at no more than $5-10 per in the round.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Were looking at a record cold winter here and have had snow on the ground since December 15th.....tough to watch the Eagles eat em, but so be it.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've had a much warmer winter than normal here, with no snow so far. Worst coyote hunting I've ever experienced. I normally kill between 15 and 20 a year, so far this year, only 5. They just aren't to be found. Of course, we don't have the numbers that you western hunters have.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd think you could find a fur buyer in Idaho.

Our fur buyer comes through today and again in two weeks. There are some that have started to rub, but not all have. Can still get around $25./ea. in the round for em around here.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
February coyotes are usually on the decline and the demand is low, if at all. Might be somebody still buying though, but I doubt at no more than $5-10 per in the round.

This^^^^^^^

You might try Moscow hide and fur. He's the only one I know of that buys in the round but I'm not sure he'll take em after the first of the year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My last one here was rubbed pretty bad already. Gonna get worse with the 55-60 degree days coming by the end of the week.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the coyote still has his skin attached it's a good time to hunt them. JMHO. wink

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wasn't able to go today, but my buddy sold 13 that averaged $25./ea.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If the coyote still has his skin attached it's a good time to hunt them. JMHO. wink

'Xackly......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is highly unusual to get nice coyotes in February. They may look good initially and be fairly thickly furred but if you compared them to a November coyote you'd see a marked difference in quality.

I trapped and hunted coyotes professionally in Eastern Washington from 1988-2001 and depended heavily on taking large numbers of coyote hides to make wages for the winter. I always started trapping in late October when the deer and elk seasons closed and went to the first week of January.

Coyotes become prime in late October or early November. Coming into prime is triggered by waning daylight hours. Fur thickness is a function of average climate in a given area. One unseasonably cold winter in Texas is not going to produce better coyotes than an unseasonably mild winter in Montana. And fur does not prime back up if there is a late season cold spell.

Different areas of the country produce different colors and quality of fur. Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas produce some of the finest quality and best colored coyotes in the country. Eastern Washington and Idaho have good quality and good colored coyotes, though not as nice as the aforementioned. Coastal coyotes are dark and largely undesirable in the garment market. Much of that fur ends up in trim or felt. The same applies to southern coyotes.

In my area coyote hides were never better than they were in November. By the middle of January that coyote has worn that fur through brush, fences and thickets and is showing broken guard hairs and sometimes missing patches. Burrs, weed seeds and pine pitch will cause them to scratch or pull at the fur which does some damage. By February they are staring to breed and showing considerable rubbing. It's not to say you won't find the exceptionally nice coyote in February from time to time but generally not.

I don't know who in the Northwest is still buying fur. Gary at Moscow has been buying for as long as I can remember. I don't know if he'll buy any late season coyotes, especially in the round.

Probably way more information than you ever wanted to know about coyote fur.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Nope. I appreciate the info Mart. Thanks for posting. Always learnin here at Fireside.

Last edited by WillARights; 02/14/17.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks mart. I'm out west of spokane and it's been an amazing year for coyote shooting. The Eagles love us.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mart, great info.. Thanks.. high country, keep smacking those dogs...

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since I moved to Alaska, I haven't smacked many at all. I do miss coyote hunting. We have them but not in anywhere near the numbers we did in eastern Washington.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I checked, several weeks ago, Moscow Hide and Fur wasn't taking anymore coyotes in the round for fur. A nice November coyote could still fetch you a little money, if holding on to some.

You can probably get a couple bucks for skulls/teeth, claws, glands, etc... if you really want to utilize the critter, but it won't be a money making or even break even deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
We've had a much warmer winter than normal here, with no snow so far. Worst coyote hunting I've ever experienced. I normally kill between 15 and 20 a year, so far this year, only 5. They just aren't to be found. Of course, we don't have the numbers that you western hunters have.

It's been the same here. Little snow and with what we've gotten I've had few opportunities though we have good numbers of dogs.

Worst year in a long while.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They gave good money for them up here in November. Aint paid schit for them since.

Still a pile of them around though.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
sold my last 10, shot in the last two weeks, today for an average of $28./ea. Not bad for late season coyotes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.