Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Q: How do you make a deer blind?
A: Poke his eyes out.

After 15+ seasons, it's time to start thinking about reworking my deer stands. What I have up right now are a half-dozen buddy style ladder stand. Some are in places where we haven't taken a deer in years. The oldest is rusted to the point where I believe it to be unsafe. My goal this year is to bring them all down, re-paint and repair them all. Retire at least one an mix and match the parts to put as many back as possible.

However, I'm also looking for other ideas. When I was in my 40's, 15 feet in the air on a ladder stand was a bit of a come-down. I'd spent my 20's and 30's being a nosebleed cowboy in climbing stands. Now I'm 58. I'm looking at options.

First off, I'm thinking of this:
[Linked Image]

I have a set of the Elevators brackets left over from another project. I figure a 5X7 foot platform up about 10 feet in the air with just a railing will suffice. I won't need a roof.

The other idea that intrigues me is a design I saw out on the web. It's a scissors design:

[Linked Image]

This one looks a little tippy, but I've seen other versions of this design that had longer legs and appeared far more stable.

I'm just interested if any of you have thoughts or experiences with these designs, or others you'd like to recommend. I don't really need a roof over my head. I have other options for when the weather is bad.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OMG! shocked

Hope you have your flame suit on. whistle

If you hunt from a blind you'll get roasted here.

Or if you don't, or still hunt, or hunt private land, or hunt public land, or hunt with drives, or over corn, or not.

Someone will be by shortly to condemn you to Hell for how you hunt.

In the meantime, I like the platform better. grin (it needs some sides though.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Do you need elevation? I like ground blinds much better generally.

The best are made of piles of brush and such.

Well unless its below freezing and or damp, then a box is nice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A camp I used to hunt out of had several ground blinds built on plastic pallets with pressure treated 4x4 skids under them. A little lumber and some old metal roofing for the sides and roof worked pretty good. Being able to move them was a plus when the deer's travel routes changed. We would move them with ATVs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
OMG! shocked

Hope you have your flame suit on. whistle

If you hunt from a blind you'll get roasted here.

Or if you don't, or still hunt, or hunt private land, or hunt public land, or hunt with drives, or over corn, or not.

Someone will be by shortly to condemn you to Hell for how you hunt.

In the meantime, I like the platform better. grin (it needs some sides though.)

It's okay. I was the guy who asked Rick for the deer hunting sub-forum to begin with. I've been hunting from stands for 35+ years. I can take it. Thanks for your concern, however.

Yes, I'm figuring on a railing with slats.

The places I'm thinking of for the raised platform are just not right for a ground blind. These are hillside pastures with a lot of folds in them. Even though they look even, the deer can completely disappear. When I was surveying for the stand placement, I rode around in my Silverado and when I'd find a likely spot, I'd get up in the bed and have a look-see. My eye level was therefore about 9 feet in the air. There are a couple of spots where a 10 foot platform would work.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think your best bet is a tripod. They can be bought here for $200, or so. Perhaps less after season. They have an inch bar around the top and an expanded metal floor. We added an 8"x1" board along the top to act as a kind of shelf. Then took that leafy plastic camp and tacked it to the board and floor with electric ties. This is as much to keep things from falling out as to hide. I cut mine down to about 6' to the floor. That way I can reach up and place things in the blind without cussing a rope. They are easily movable by two, or one if you can get near it with a truck. They can be be placed almost into a small tree to act as cover. Once placed I would suggest using one of those trailer house screw thingies and a tie-down to make it more stable. Hope this helps, captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YOu can even buy some of the light weight versions that fold up, and pack on your shoulder fairly easily. I"ve welded a couple over the years also.

Tripod could be the answer for sure.

Wish I had a few in AK for moose. They are being used more and more often.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tripod for open, ladder stand for tree. Ive been using a ladder stand with a cover on it for the past 5-6 yrs and it works great. I just replaced it last year because the original was rusted so bad it was becoming unsafe. I'm 80 and hunt in SE Texas in wooded area. A large selection of stands at Midway.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm like you, for 20 years I used a climbing stand and went as high as the tree would let me in some cases. I needed to be in some places where there weren't any straight trees, so I tried a ladder stand and fell in love. Now I have a couple and this is the best one I have. I'm a bow hunter and found I needed a seat that folded up. This has that along with a nice sized platform 24"x 30". That's if you have trees to put it in.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...5fnsufstpstxlxxxtsb/15fnsufstpstxlxxxtsb

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can just see a leaning stand where I hunt. It would be about 2' up the tallest mesquite. It's amazing how our hunting differs! I imagine our tallest tree is probably a scrub oak, that might be be 20' tall captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you have the elevators, build the platform. For the bonus, put an office chair up there. You can sit all day.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all.

CaptDavid
Yes, I would imagine things to be quite different with trees like that. I'm hunting amid white oaks that pre-date the white man. In fact, the platform is meant to hunt the pasture that slopes away from an abandoned section of county road that stopped having traffic about 100 years ago. The trees are 4 or 5 feet in diameter. The problem is that in order to get a shot, I have to be out past the dripline of the biggest tree.

[Linked Image]

Here is another idea I had. Somebody on the Campfire was selling plans for this a while back. I like it-- kind of an extra tall lifeguard chair for 2:

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's hard for me to get my head around the differences of our landscapes. I don't understand the importance of the drip line. I have two thoughts. First, if you are going to build something as elaborate as the above stand, why not enclose it? That way you could have an all-weather blind. I can't really tell for sure from the picture, but I can see any number of places to put a tripod. I could see, snuggling it up to that scrawny tree in the foreground of the picture. One thing, if you buy a tripod, and it doesn't work on the field, you can always use it in the woods. They are not all that expensive. A thought; how high are the lowest branches on the bigger trees? Could you place a tripod that would put you in the branches at the edge? Captdavid

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It has to be outside the dripline simply because:

a) the view will be obscured by the branches
b) wind will drive the limbs into the structure.

. . . otherwise, I'd probably just put another ladder stand up and be done with it.

I've got several foul weather ground blinds already, and they're in spots that produce deer in the most obnoxious conditions. The venues I'm trying to develop now are going to exploit places where deer show up on better days. I'd just as soon as hunt without a roof over my head. I'm also figuring on these being good sites to take the grandkids.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I build a 4'x4' angle iron frame with 11/2" pipe legs. I like them 15' tall. I build a plywood box to bolt on to frame. I stand up with wench. I tie it off to trees on two sides to keep it from blowing over. I have a metal roof, build windows that fold up. They have glass in them to keep you from freezing your ass off when it's cold. I have a heater in each stand also. If I had someone with me in stand a lot I'd build 4'x6'. I like 4x4 because you can see better. Metal frame is much sturdier than wood. I have some that are 35 years old. I can't imagine building out of wood.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I made it back to camp this weekend, and had an opportunity to drive out to one of the places where I'm planning to put a new stand. Y'all were asking about why I was thinking about a raised freestanding platform.

Here is a view 50 yards south of where I plan to put the blind
[Linked Image]

Now, here's a shot from the site itself. Notice how the folds come into view.

[Linked Image]

Lastly, here is a link to a panorama
Panorama of new stand site

Last edited by shaman; 02/18/17.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like that.
I'm with you guys, want to be off the ground , not in the clouds anymore.
I buy buddy ladder stands on sale and put them in several locations.

Last edited by abbydog; 02/18/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one that my wife uses.

Its about 5x5 with enough room for 2 and a heater

The windows are plexiglass in wooden tracks

The door is in the back wall

[Linked Image]

The other one she uses on the property is two stories tall. A ladder and a pop up door in the floor get you to the shooting room. This is the rear view of the structure

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am looking to build a platform blind 10 or 15 feet up.. Can't get any motorized vehicle back there... Any Plans out there ?

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Build off site

Take it apart then re-assemble on site

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (6mmCreedmoor, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.