Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to replace the 2 piece bottom metal on one of my stainless Classics, with a one piece after market replacement. I have PG&T bottom metal on another Classic and I'm satisfied with the part. I'm just wondering if there is a better option. The reviews lately regarding delivery time and customer service at PG&T are concerning. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have made a couple of orders from PT&G for M70 bottom metal.
I did call to verify that what showed as in-stock was actually available, prior to placing one order.
I do not recall any issues with another order that was not in inventory. It arrived around or prior to estimated delivery time.
My orders were the unpolished stainless 1-piece factory type and Oberndorf stles.

I am sure that you are aware, their bottom metal will not be precise / exact drop in fit, for a factory stock inlet.
This applies to replacing M70 Classic 2-piece with Pt&G 1-piece, and replacing the BACO 1-piece with PT&G 1-piece.
This has been my experience with several rifles. I was also informed of this when talking over the phone with PT&G.

Also, the plunger/latch on the factory style stainless 1-piece is blued/black, as it is depicted on their web page. That I do not particularly care for.
I personally prefer Oberndorf style.
Edit to add:
Sorry, I did not pick up on the fact that you already had some of their bottom metal.
To sum up all the unnecessary above, I like their product and have no issues with them.
Swift/Blackburn, in my experience, certainly did not provide any better customer service / order follow-up, or I would have several of their product.

Last edited by ldmay375; 01/31/17.
Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your input. This was exactly the kind information I was looking for. I was planning to send my gun, with a new McMiilan stock and have them inlet it for the new metal to ensure proper fit. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were you wanting steel or aluminum?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Aluminum

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PT&G is really a mess in terms of customer service and quality. If there was an equally lightweight aluminum alternative to PT&G I'd use it. The only other option I'm aware of is Sunny Hill, but those are similar in cost to gold bullion. They are nice though!

I've owned something around 10 of the M70 Aluminum Bottom Metal units, in fact the latest arrived this past Monday. I typically buy the "standard" units, but have owned one Oberndorf model. I found it clunky and ugly as it has to be "beefed up" in its aluminum guise to maintain strength. The steel Oberndorf untis are much nicer.

I keep a supply of stainless release buttons from USRAC on hand to replace the blued button that comes (stupidly) from PT&G.

The company really sucks. But there's really nowhere else to go for $100 lightweight metal.

Good luck with your order... you may need it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Brad, this was also the kind of info I was looking for. Sad, but apparently true. I'll check into Sunny Hill.

Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I contacted Sunny Hill at your recommendation, Brad. I'm planning to go with their product. You were right about the price though. Given the current value of gold, I think I could have two made from gold for the price of theirs. I guess you get what you pay for! Their customer service was excellent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I'm a bit fuzzy on what they charge as it's been a while since I talked with them... do you mind sharing what the cost is?

Thanks.

Bobmar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad, PM inbound.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't feel like playing the 2-4 month game with PTG so I ordered the aluminum set from Stockys. The extra $45 was worth ordering something with a pre determined delivery date.Will be interesting to see the quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty sure the Stocky's is just PT&G

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what I figured.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Joining in late here fellas, how drop in is the PTG one piece into a two piece configured stock?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,150 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.