Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am very likely to have an opportunity to purchase a pre '64 model 70 in .375 h&h in the very near future for a good price. My question for those with more experience than myself is whether there is anything specific I should look out for before I buy this rifle. Im pretty excited about it and I don't want that to cloud my judgement.

this will be my first "big bore" centerfire and will be used to hunt elk and black bear when I decide I want to carry something other than an '06 or 7mm-08, and hopefully will have an opportunity at AK grizzly/browns and maybe Africa someday. If nothing else its a classic rifle and cartridge with a great history and will be coming from a friend. I have not seen the rifle yet but am told its very clean with low round count and unmodified. Any info specific to the pre '64 and .375 to look out for would be appreciated.

thanks

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Post this also in the "Winchesters Collectors" forum.

Get the serial number,if possible,pics and lots of them. Post them in the above forum and those gentlemen well help you out.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
^^^^^This^^^^

Some very sharp eyed collector/shooters there that can give you a wealth of information

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Post this also in the "Winchesters Collectors" forum.

Get the serial number,if possible,pics and lots of them. Post them in the above forum and those gentlemen well help you out.

Sounds like a beauty. I can't wait to hear more about it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks guys, the rifle in question was a good friend of mine's brother's who recently passed away, my friend expressed interest in selling the rifle as he does not anticipate using it, he knew I was interested in a 375 and made it known that one may be available shortly, I told him I was certainly interested and would appreciate first consideration.
Due to circumstances he is not currently in possession of the rifle but should be shortly along with many of his brothers posessions, I trust him when he says its a pre '64 and clean, this guy knows his guns and I consider it an honor that he would consider selling a rifle like this to me. If I end up with it, I will have to figure out how to post pictures!
Ill repost the OP in the Winchester forum, thanks for the advice.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you don't buy it someone else will, my pre-375 is dead nuts accurate! Post pics of your buy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's modified that makes it worth less. You may want it anyway but you can offer less.

If it has a side mount on the action its not 'original'.

The one I have's Winchester recoil pad is somewhat shrunken from age. It still has the LOP of 13 5/8" it came with.

They have that long 25" barrel with open sights you know?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one for sale. Note that the rear open sight is gone from the barrel and a receiver sight has been added that may have got the stock cut some to fit it.

375 H&H pre 64 M60

Price: $2995.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.