Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
My wife bought me a wooden working Black Duck decoy for the birth of my 2nd boy. From what I gather online it is carved out of cedar block. I started looking around online and it looks like there is a pretty significant following for handmade wooden working duck decoys.

A coworker of mine is a talented woodworker but lives in a smaller place in Austin and has been looking for some cool projects. He was very interested in putting together some decoys. We also have an unlimited supply of cedar here in Central Texas. My wife is a professional photographer and has a heavy background in marketing.

What do y'all think about starting a small decoy line? What is the going price for these? I love projects and love waterfowl hunting more.

Thanks for any input.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a whole bunch of Cedar hand carved decoys. All Mallards. I was not using them because of the weight factor, so I put them on the market and they went like hotcakes. I got $100 apiece for a couple of them that were in nice shape. A friend carved them out of cedar fence posts. He glued two pieces together and I used them for over 40 years. You can buy Duck eyes that look better than painted eyes. Looks like you are in for a profitable hobby.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a few solid carvers left out there and their prices reflect.

Now if one were to make hollowed out working mans decoys it would likely keep you quite busy.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

..never tire of seeing any manner of decoys. Even the cruder ones from early last century.

If he finishes any, try to post a pic,

Good luck to him in his entrepreneurship.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt over wood and cork decoys.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would love to find a source for inexpensive wood working decoys. Raw carved and ready for paint would be great offseason projects

Who is John Galt?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mrfudd
I would love to find a source for inexpensive wood working decoys. Raw carved and ready for paint would be great offseason projects

Not hard to find: http://autumnwings.com/Series-72-Decoy-Kits.aspx

There are others, this is the first that came to mind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice thing about them, they don't sink when you Arkansas the Ducks that land in their midst.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by mrfudd

Not hard to find: http://autumnwings.com/Series-72-Decoy-Kits.aspx

There are others, this is the first that came to mind.

I have a few dozen Autumn Wings Decoys, I bought them finished, as that's how they were sold back in the day. They are super heavy and the paint sucks. I won't buy anymore. I prefer wood decoy bodies that are split, hollowed and re-glued. It makes for a light weight decoy, with lively buoyancy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rondrews
Nice thing about them, they don't sink when you Arkansas the Ducks that land in their midst.

I have a buddy that has an affinity for shooting my decoys. Never heard the term "Arkansas". I will be using it for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt over custom hollow cedar decoys I had a well known carver make for me. I have two dozen. Everyone who looks at them can't believe I use them every day hunting. It adds to my enjoyment of hunting waterfowl. Decoys are American folk art.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Son-in Law, Dave got his nickname, "Decoy Dave" when he popped one of my Wood Ducks decoys. He was dozing and one of the decoys floated a bit away from the spread. He jumped up and put a load right into it before I could stop him. It sits behind the bar in his basement. A fitting tribute to an "Arkansas" shot.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the info guys.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
466 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.