Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I need another custom project like I need a hole in the head but I've had a vision in my mind for years that simply must come to fruition and I have a Dumoulin action that I think may provide the opportunity I've been waiting for.

Has anyone used one as the basis for a build?

Here is the blueprint I'm considering; trying to make it as lightweight and weather resistant a build as possible:

Sunny Hill Dovetail Aluminum scope rings

High Tech Specialties Stock

Light contour barrel

FN Bottom metal or maybe blind?

All steel Metalife or Black-T plated

Don't know what cartridge. Thinking 6mm Rem, 257 AI, 25-06, 6.5x55, .280, .30-06, or 338-06.

I currently have:

6mm-250 (heavy!)
(2) 257 Rob (perfect)
257 AI (heavy!)
6.5x55 (perfect - classic styling)
6.5-06 (heavy)
7-08 (excellent)
30-06 (excellent)

If I went 6mm Rem, 257 AI or 25-06 I'd most likely sell the 6-250 or 257 AI I have. Glass will be Leupold 2-7x33mm or 6x36mm.

I like the idea of a .280, .30-06, or .338-06 more than I think I would the actual rifle as I feel really good about the 7-08 & 30-06 I have and tend to love and keep rifles I can really enjoy shooting a lot. I really don't hunt anything that necessitates anything bigger than a 7-08 either.

Anybody have suggestions/thoughts? What's a good target weight? 8 lbs doable? Is a short action cartridge AI'd worthwhile on this action... maybe 243 AI?

Thanks all,

Efw

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
6mm rem wink

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
A 7x64 is a classic Euro cartridge, perfect for that action and would duplicate the 280 Remington.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of those actions. Was looking more towards a 9.3x62 or a .375 Ruger.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can the Dumoulin bolt face be machined for 7mm Rem Mag case head size (0.532"?

The site says the bolt faces are set for 30-06 case head... (0.473")?

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why not 8x57???

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Having one being made in .275 Rigby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
6mm rem wink

Yeah great minds Matt I figured you'd say that smile

Honestly I love the idea of a fast twist 6 better than all the rest put together.

Originally Posted by Owl
I have one of those actions. Was looking more towards a 9.3x62 or a .375 Ruger.

9,3x62 is a great choice for bigger I like that.

Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Why not 8x57???

With all due respect to a great cartridge it's just never done much for me.

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll! I'm pondering this thing pretty hard have lots of time and no need whatsoever... makes the planning stage more fun knowing there's no hurry!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Will have mine done in a few weeks and will show you pics of groups to help smile

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one years ago for a .338-06. They are neat actions. Mine was stamped "Safari Arms" but they are the same action. I bought a Dumoulin action years later and they are exactly the same. The only thing I had done to the action was replace the bolt handle which wasn't necessary but I wanted something different. I found an old 1/2 octagon 1/2 round full integral rib guild barrel and had it re-bored.

My top caliber picks would be:
7X57
7X64
30-06
338-06
9.3X62

anyway here is the finished rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IMO, they make a beautiful rifle.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful rifle. What are the specs on the scope mounting dovetail? Does it require a proprietary ring? Looking forward to this thread!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
Beautiful rifle. What are the specs on the scope mounting dovetail? Does it require a proprietary ring? Looking forward to this thread!

Sunnyhill makes a ring for this action, that's what mine are and the only source that I know of. efw mentioned aluminum, I thought they only made steel. I've also seen people mill them down to accept Talley rings.

efw, did your action not come with bottom metal?

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I've actually gone in on the action with another member who only wanted the bottom metal. I have a nice looking FN unit and have wanted a blind mag, so figured it was a win/win.

Sunny Hill has only just recently started making the rings in aluminum.

How did you like the trigger and safety? They function well?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Tagging on to this one. A buddy of mine and I are building matching 280AI next year with our actions.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the trigger and safety both function well on mine. I've heard it can be hit or miss with them though.

I never was a big fan of the blind mag idea on a M98 until recently I handled one that was shortened to only hold 3 down. That along with the rounded bottom made it feel so handy, trim and elegant. Of course you would be stepping into custom wood stock though to achieve that. I still like the idea now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another vote for the 6mmAI as it is a long action. Twist fast 8 or even 7.5 to use up to 120 grain bullets. I would go traditional if Doumalin builds it and use Sunny hill bottom metal if it will fit. The Bartlein 0 contour is a nice option and the shank could be re-contoured to the feather weight radius step. NCGG iron sights would go on just for looks too.

If I could do a project like this mine would look like a cross between a British stalking rifle and an American classic.

Please post build photos for those of us that have the flat wallet problem but still have expensive tastes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Was it ever definitively determined where/who made these actions?

I am sure to some, it will not matter but I am always interested in the pedigree, fit/finish, etc of actions and rifles.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bigger hole in the barrel lighter weight, I'd go #2 contour and 338-06 in a High-tech stock from Brownells.

I built a 400 Whelen out of mine, it's a great rifle.

Last edited by gunner500; 02/16/17.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by efw
Yeah I've actually gone in on the action with another member who only wanted the bottom metal. I have a nice looking FN unit and have wanted a blind mag, so figured it was a win/win.

Sunny Hill has only just recently started making the rings in aluminum.

How did you like the trigger and safety? They function well?

Trigger was fine on mine, 'Smith had to clean the safety up a bit.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not trying to put flies in the ointment just putting it out there for information/research, but looked at this action a year or two ago and came to the conclusion the action itself was of chinese origin. The SARCO marketing on the action seemed a little vague last I looked so did some snooping around.

Found this document:
https://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=559392&ac=pr

"..You indicate that your client wishes to import certain Mauser type barreled actions from Belgium in a variety of hunting calibers. We are informed that the barreled actions are completed rifles without rifle stocks. The barelled actions are manufactured in Belgium by E. Dumoulin and Co. from a series of components consisting of trigger mechanisms from England or Belgium, trigger guards from Spain, screws from Belgium and rifle barrels from the United States, as well as incomplete bolt assemblies, bolt stop assemblies and receivers from China."

"..The complex assembly of the barelled actions, as discussed above, constitutes a substantial transformation. Accordingly, the country of origin of the barreled actions to be imported into the United States is Belgium. The article shall be marked pursuant to 19 U.S.C. 1304 and part 134, Customs Regulations (19 CFR Part 134)..."

Have no clue as to its accuracy, but if the above is a valid document it explains how the barreled actions can be listed as "MANUFACTURED BY THE FAMED FIREARMS MAKER DUMOULIN OF BELGIUM" and have chinese sourced actions and bolts.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/17/17.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Bigger hole in the barrel lighter weight, I'd go #2 contour and 338-06 in a High-tech stock from Brownells.

I like that idea it sounds good. I love that cartridge.

Originally Posted by gann

This is an excellent idea; thank you very much!!!!!

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen one of these actions that someone milled a set of flat bases for it and then screwed them on. IMO it looked kinda wonky to me. I would stick with the Sunny Hill.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks I can imagine what you mean there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
efw, am interested in how you would do the blind magazine in a Hi-Tech stock? Do you need a mag box?

Tried it once with a MPI stock to save weight over a Hi-Tech but the blank ended up weighing considerably more than I was told...more than the Hi-Tech...:)

Good luck on the build! Target weight-wise, I like lighter rifles, and kept track of the individual component weights over the years. I'd imagine you'd want to keep barrel contour to a #2 & down with steel bottom metal. fwiw...

Defend the Constitution
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
High Tech Spec used to offer an LR98 blind blank. Don't know if they still do. Was thinking about pulling the aluminum box off one of those cheapo anodized units from Brownells, and using a sunny hill trigger guard. May be more work than necessary; for weights sake may have one of those same anodized units after having it bead blasted and duracoated.

To answer the question tho I was considering using the box and then laying glass cloth over the bottom to form a blind mag. Again likely more work than necessary as there are workable aluminum options available.

We'll see. I'll go #1 contour whatever else I do.

I likely will do the Sunny Hill rings, though I was wrong when I thought they offered them in aluminum. They're only steel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought I remembered those, but Brownells only listed the standard now...his web site has also changed, to elsewhere I guess...

Yes, on the aluminum box. Also, had a 98 box cut off to fit and drilled to lighten....but never used it. A guy can snag a non-"engraved" aluminum unit off eBay sometimes.

Have fun--am thinking about a 1-7 twist 6mm Rem for a VZ24...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tagging in

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Interesting what SBTCO posted about the Sarco Duomolin actions.

FWIW, at least two of my shooting buddies at range we're members, purchased some of these SARCO Dumoulin's for builds. Neither of them are newbies to rifle builds. One does his own gun smithing. Can't remember specifically what they disliked or the problems they had with the several Dumoulins they purchased. Let's just say, they were disappointed with them.......that they must have been actions that didn't meet quality standards, in other words, rejects.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh they're a little rough below the wood line and some of them need the safeties timed. No big deal for a decent Mauser gunsmith. When I bought mine they were $225. IMO, a stone cold bargain for a Mauser action with a good trigger, a 3 position M70 style safety, steel bottom metal with a bow release straddle floorplate and square bridges. The two that I've owned were as smooth as any Zastava action I've ever owned and the feeding is spot on. I would buy another without hesitation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
I've seen one of these actions that someone milled a set of flat bases for it and then screwed them on. IMO it looked kinda wonky to me. I would stick with the Sunny Hill.

That would be me. I bought 10 of the Dumoulin actions 10-1-2014.
I turn Weaver S45 and S54 scope bases over and mill them flat.

In 2015 I put a #3 Shilen select match rachet 8" twist barrel on a reamed it to 6.5-06 A square.
I made a pillar for the rear and recoil block for the front.
I put a timney trigger and a Harris bipod and a rear bag on it.
I put a sightron SIII 3x10 scope on it.

I got Lee to make a custom mandrel reduction from a 270 Collet neck die for triple normal grinding price.
I got Forster to make a custom sizer die from a 25-06 sizer die for double the normal honing price.

120 Nos Bal Tips 3197 fps average chrono
0.92" 5 shots at 100 yards average

I helped separate cows from calves and the rancher let me hunt. I shot a whitetail doe at 629 yards.
I used a Mosin Nagant 300 Win mag I built that year to fill my other tags.

[Linked Image]

I build a number of rifles for myself each year, and do not think much of Dumoulins.
My scope base fix is ok. I have sent bases to other guys on other forums.
My problem is with the safeties.
If you have a Dumoulin Mauser action, you should have someone who knows what they are doing check the safety.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.