Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by irfubar
If you do all that why not just start with something else?
Makes no sense

I totally agree... A stainless classic comes to mind... wink

I realize this is a collector forum, and I understand how it may be a bad idea to use a collectable museum piece, but I disagree with the notion that a pre-64 is off limits to any semi or custom modifications to build a hard use hunting rifle.

Why would anyone build a rifle on anything, like a Mauser, or a pre-64, vs something like a Classic Stainless. Changing barrel lengths, better sights, Lapour safeties, bridge modifications, barrier finishes, durable stocks, etc...are all valid for an owner's rough and tumble pre-64 375 for wearing out while hunting around the world.

I took the op for hunting this rifle hard, to include AK and the continent of Africa. Nothing blue sky day ginger rifle about this, that rifle would get the snot run out of it. Nothing in that equation preserves collector value, unless he was POTUS.

That's where you are wrong. Very wrong... wink Please go to the savage forum or the other hunting rifle forum and blabber your bs. A pre 64 is perfect the way it came from the factory. The only thing that can make it better is by going with a McMillan like the one I posted a pic of. Nothing else needs to be done to it. It will still retain its value and worth even if you do use it hard. By the way, using it hard and taking care of it doesn't mean throwing it in the mud and dragging it behind a pickup truck down a long dirt road. I've used the fu ck out of rifles and they still look good because of the care they are given... Hint... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are on a gun forum and proclaim it is ludicrous and bs for someone to make modifications to their production rifle?, oh, except for the mods you make??

Quite a few pre-64 rifles have been modified, quite a few guild parts have been designed to improve a pre-64, quite a few smithing techniques have been developed to improve a pre-64, and quite a few guild, custom, and semi-custom rifles have been built on a pre-64.

Question I posed is valid. Outside a desirable original collector's piece, why are safety mods off limits. The pre-64 has probably the single worst gas venting design of any popular bolt rifle. I've probably shot out more barrels on pre-64 match rifles than the pre-64 s you touched. Not all, but quite a bunch were modified ala Dunlap to divert gas. My close friend is a guild member, some of the best pre-64 builds use a custom safety to divert gas. That safety is a great improvement over original. None of that is bs, and none of that is nasty and juvenile as your name calling posts tend to be if another poster disagrees to what you espouse as being collectable, or acceptable owner mods.

Let the man use that rifle as he sees fit.

PS, use and wear is measured against, and reduces 100% value, if you had a valuable collector piece. It would be impossible to hunt a collector's rifle and not reduce its value, unless it was someone like POTUS.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
why are safety mods off limits. The pre-64 has probably the single worst gas venting design of any popular bolt rifle....Not all, but quite a bunch were modified ala Dunlap to divert gas. My close friend is a guild member, some of the best pre-64 builds use a custom safety to divert gas. That safety is a great improvement over original.

I'd be interested in what these diversions look like. Do you have pictures or could you describe them fully?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One was a modification to the shroud, the second was a retrofit gas block, the other was a gas deflecting safety, such as made by Ed Lapour.

I was around a number of match rifle competitors who ran a ton of reloads through unmodified gas handling pre-64s, without issue. But, if you ever experienced a primer or case let go in one, likely you make mods. I believe the shroud mods are in one of the published smithing manuals I have around, that was fairly common Roy Dunlap mod. Will dig it up. The safety is still sold through Ed Lapour, and is highly regarded. The gas block retro fit came with the invent of the classics.

Put all that aside, someone who loves a pre-64, may also love Sunny Hill mods, bridge mods, stock mods, barrel mods etc., etc. I do not believe I've ever tailored a production rifle for my regular use, without making some modifications.

See no reason a noncollectable should be off limits.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/17/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Gary,

I am very interested to see those modifications to improve the gas handling in the M70 pre-64.
Some time ago I contacted Mr. Ed Lapour to buy one of the compleate bolt shroud for my original pre 64 .375 H&H. He told me that, for the Winchester pre-64, he sell this shroud exclusivelly with the instalation included. Because of the wide dimentional variations between individual rifles....
Can you upload other info, like Roy Dunlap's, and/or other with pictures? Or a link to some information, perhaps?

Thank you!

PH

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildfire45
I am very likely to have an opportunity to purchase a pre '64 model 70 in .375 h&h in the very near future for a good price. My question for those with more experience than myself is whether there is anything specific I should look out for before I buy this rifle. Im pretty excited about it and I don't want that to cloud my judgement.

this will be my first "big bore" centerfire and will be used to hunt elk and black bear when I decide I want to carry something other than an '06 or 7mm-08, and hopefully will have an opportunity at AK grizzly/browns and maybe Africa someday. If nothing else its a classic rifle and cartridge with a great history and will be coming from a friend. I have not seen the rifle yet but am told its very clean with low round count and unmodified. Any info specific to the pre '64 and .375 to look out for would be appreciated. I do not currently have a SN or pics, sorry.

thanks for your help/advice,

wildfire

(posted previously in big bore sub forum)

Unless the price is low and you can flip it for a profit I would not buy it. There is nothing on North American continent that can't be killed easily with the .30-06. The .375H&H has twice recoil of the .30-06 with nothing to offer US hunter hunting in the United States. To add insult to injury as they said you will need to buy expensive plastic replacement stock from Mcmillan if you choose to shoot this rifle which is more wasted money.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hunt my Pre64 375 with the original stock and have had no problems. I don't think you need a McMillan or any other synthetic stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give me a few days for my next break, I'm working through the weekend into next week. When I get back, can show modified shrouds from both a match rifle and a hunting rifle.

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Give me a few days for my next break, I'm working through the weekend into next week. When I get back, can show modified shrouds from both a match rifle and a hunting rifle.

Looking forward to it--thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you very much, Gary!!

PH

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Pre 64 in 375 H&H that was built in 1946. Serial number is 57XXX. It is all original with no holes drilled in the rear bridge but it has had an express sight added to the barrel where the original was installed. I have owned it for years and I hunt with the iron sights. I have take several head of Elk with this combo.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello Gary,

Is there any chance to show the modified shrouds?
Thank you!

PH

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The modified shroud for better gas handling is a solution waiting for the problem.

How many model 70's have been made through the years?

If this was a problem it would have been addressed and fixed.

The modified shroud looks just like a model 70 shroud that had a flat washer welded to the front.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.