Print Thread
Hop To
C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am am country educated in terms of marksmanship. I shot well in small hobby tournaments back in college but all I did was learn my drops and banked on repeatable form. That being said, I would like to do one of the weekend classes somewhere. I really don't want to deal with all the tacticle BS, just good realistic marksmanship training. I think it would be fun. I would like to do it with a Mil turret on a 280 remington I put together.

Does such a class exist?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes - sent you a PM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by CBB15
I am am country educated in terms of marksmanship. I shot well in small hobby tournaments back in college but all I did was learn my drops and banked on repeatable form. That being said, I would like to do one of the weekend classes somewhere. I really don't want to deal with all the tacticle BS, just good realistic marksmanship training. I think it would be fun. I would like to do it with a Mil turret on a 280 remington I put together.

Does such a class exist?

I don't know of a company currently that offers a class strictly for the hunter, that is also in depth enough to be useful while not being a rebranded LR "tactical" course.

Most of them even when advertised as "hunting" courses are like the one that is linked to above- rebranded PRS/tactical courses. Not that there is necessarily something wrong with that. When a course is labeled as a "hunting" course, yet all of the pictures are of 14-18lb dedicated long range guns being shot from the prone or a bench..... Just saying.

A two-three day general hunting course should be centered around the use of 5.5-9lb rifles being shot from field improvised rests on realistic targets from 0-600 or so yards, and not about hitting big pieces of steel at 1,000 yards just so someone can say they did. There are a lot of similarities with shooting LW and/or normal hunting rifles, and dedicated LR guns... but there are some stark differences as well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CBB15,

Yes, it does exist. I can highly recommend the FTW Ranch's hunting course, www.ftwsaam.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah....drive down here and I won't charge you a dime!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CBB15,

Yes, it does exist. I can highly recommend the FTW Ranch's hunting course, www.ftwsaam.com.

While they may teach a good course, $4,000 for a 4 day course is bordering on the ridiculous. Even including lodging and meals, that is litteraly double what national and world champion shooting instructors charge.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Hell you couldn't ask for any more than this!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Formidilosus,

On the other hand, the guy who runs FTW has hunted far more than most people, and the course includes some of the best hunting-situation targets I've seen, and I've seen a bunch.

Just because somebody's a national or world-champion shooter doesn't mean they know about hunting. The FTW people do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
CBB15,

While they may teach a good course, $4,000 for a 4 day course is bordering on the ridiculous. Even including lodging and meals, that is litteraly double what national and world champion shooting instructors charge.

Couldn't agree more.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Formidilosus,

On the other hand, the guy who runs FTW has hunted far more than most people, and the course includes some of the best hunting-situation targets I've seen, and I've seen a bunch.

Just because somebody's a national or world-champion shooter doesn't mean they know about hunting. The FTW people do.

I know quite a bit about 'hunting'! There's damn few folks that have spent more time afield than I have! Situational hunting targets don't mean 'diddly-schitt' unless the shooter knows the finer points of how to put the round fired on target!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, well that's what they teach, instead of just letting people loose on the targets. Among the instructors are at least two former SEAL snipers, one of which still gets called on occasional special assignments. The place isn't just used for hunting shooting, but hosts a lot of military and law enforcement training as well.

The FTW also has 12,000 acres of widely varied terrain, where the wind blows often enough to present almost any kind of shot, including down into canyons, uphill at steep angles, and across canyons.

John Steinbeck
C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Hell you couldn't ask for any more than this!

Agree.
While I appreciate these sort of invitations I rarely accept. However, I may show my ass up in Northeast Louisiana!

C
CBB15 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Mule Deer - I value your knowledge and input. That place sounds like the real deal and a hell of a good time but out of my league. What kind of a gunwriter coupon can you get me? I can promise a hell of a story.

Formidilosus - I agree with your statements above.

Sharps - Is it the brown house with white trim or the white house with black shutters? laugh

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Among the instructors are at least two former SEAL snipers, one of which still gets called on occasional special assignments.

Oooooh, I love story time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's your recommendation.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.