-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just checking to see if anyone out there has either of these models? I'd like to hear about the groups you're getting with them and how do you think they compare with the Anschutz, Cooper and Sako rimfires.

Also, if anyone is looking to sell one, please let me know.

Chris

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had an SVT but my Hunter edged it out for accuracy with several brands of ammo. It was a really neat gun but in the end, the lighter gun won.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a few K22's in various models but no SVT or Pro Varmint. My HS that I restocked in a Classic Varmint stock is the most accurate of the bunch, .25" 5 shot grps @ 50yds with match ammo. I've seen favorable reports of SVT's and Pro Varmint's capable of similar or better accuracy. Are you looking for a heavier rifle to mainly shoot on the bench?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MCT3; 02/03/17.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a soft spot for heavy barrel rimfires. I shoot a lot of prone and some from the bench and those two models are ones I haven't owned before. Years ago, a guy who I would see from time to time at the range bought an SVT. It's the only one I've ever seen in person. I assumed I would come across one at some point, but the area I live in has a lot of gun shops, but it's incredibly rare to see anything besides a Savage or a Marlin, which by the way are great rifles.

Over the years, I've put together a small collection of rifles that I really wanted when I was younger and couldn't afford one even if I did see it, but those two have eluded me. I've seen some on the auction sites, but until recently, have put off the urge.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I see SVT's come up for sale more frequently than the Pro Varmint. The Classic Varmint is another option with same/similar barrel contour to the PV.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I believe you're correct. I've seen more SVT's by a wide margin. The Classic Varmint seems to be incredibly rare.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 2 classic varmints and both consistently shoot sub 1 " groups at 100 yds.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I should know in about a week how my "new to me" SVT and the Pro Varmint shoot. I got the SVT from a tip a member here shared with me on a shop near him that had one. Someone on the Accurate Shooter website had the Pro Varmint.

Now if the weather will just cooperate once they both get here...it's 73 here today!

I've got my fingers crossed that both shoot as well as I hope they do!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=TWR]I had an SVT but my Hunter edged it out for accuracy with several brands of ammo. It was a really neat gun but in the end, the lighter gun won. [/quote

Mine was a case of Classic Varmint vs Hunter. Both were shooters but the Hunter was a little better so I sold the Classic Varmint. Bad move, should kept it as it wasn't THAT much difference.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I should know in about a week how my "new to me" SVT and the Pro Varmint shoot. I got the SVT from a tip a member here shared with me on a shop near him that had one. Someone on the Accurate Shooter website had the Pro Varmint.

Now if the weather will just cooperate once they both get here...it's 73 here today!

I've got my fingers crossed that both shoot as well as I hope they do!

you are welcome smile

NRA Patron
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats. Give us a report when you've had a chance to shoot them. The triggers on the NY Kimbers are amazing.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good news...bad news...I made it by the shop yesterday to pick up both the Pro Varmint and the SVT along with a Sako Quad Range that I got for a smoking deal on RFC.

The Pro Varmint is perfect! I'll be getting the Leupold 6.5-20 EFR on it this afternoon and hopefully, I'll be shooting it tomorrow.

The Quad Range is really nice. I've always like them, but never could justify the price. When I saw this one, I jumped on it. The DIP rail should ship today but I'm goint to throw a an extra T36 on it to see how it shoots until the rail gets here. Once the rail is on, I'll put a NF 5-20 SHV on there.

The SVT, which is what I had originally started looking for came in looking a little rough, which the guy at the gun shop had explained. I was ok with that because I plan to shoot the crap out of it. Upon closer inspection, I found a crack in the stock that goes from the rear screw in the trigger guard almost all the way through the grip area of the stock. You can lift on the rear of the stock and see light where it is separating. I called the shop and I don't anticipate any issues sending it back, but will talk to them today to make sure. The box it was shipped in is fine, so the stock was cracked, most likely by whoever traded it or sold it to them. If I hadn't been inspecting it so closely, I might not have seen it until it was too late.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C'mon man, you're better than this. Get some pics up ASAP. I've been checking 3 different forums waiting to get a gander at this .22lr haul you landed.... grin

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lol...I admit...I've been a bit obnoxious...hell, I've even got on my own nerves...

One thing is for sure, when my kids are out of school and I'm staying with them, I spend way too much time and money online...

Pics to come, but until I get my pics up, I'll try to attach the pics the seller of the Pro Varmint sent me.

These are the pics from the Quad sale post:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=146977

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think most of us are the same way. When I get my mind set on something and then my search,purchase,build,etc. is over I'm like a little kid at Christmas, can't wait to show my buds my new toys.

I really have been wanting to see the new guns, I was just busting your chops a bit.

What about guns?When do we get guns?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.