Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Lots of characters through the years.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

My buddy graybird keeps me laughing year round but each year if I am lucky enough to be part of elk/deer camp he makes each day very special

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We have had some legendary snipe hunts when a newbie shows his face at camp. We actually suckered one guy twice-in the same year. Funny-he never came back with us to hunt again.......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hands down at the camp I hunted out of was my friend Randy. The first year I took my son "High Brass" to camp Randy got a doe. He skinned the head out and then walked around the cabin with his hand inside the head like a sock puppet. Another time another guy at camp came in the door and told the camp owner "Bob the deer are hanging around in the bottom like they're spying on us". I saw a hand come up and knock on the kitchen window and then a doe's head pop up like it was looking in. The second week of buck season one year Randy found a 10 point someone had shot and wasn't found by that hunter. It was frozen so Randy propped it up against a tree so it could be seen from the road. The next day someone shot almost a whole box of shells at it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bangeye
This thread makes me feel a bit sorry for those on the "Are you a serious hunter" thread. Sad to see people that get their ego wrapped up in being a "serious hunter" more so than the enjoyment of good friends and just being in the woods with your friends.

This is so true.

The deer camp I go to is in some of the best moose hunting there is in the province, no deer. Last year on the last week of deer season I saw one lonely deer all week but spent that same week with a good friend and his curmudgeonly father. I get invited back every year and wouldn't miss it for the world.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by bangeye
This thread makes me feel a bit sorry for those on the "Are you a serious hunter" thread. Sad to see people that get their ego wrapped up in being a "serious hunter" more so than the enjoyment of good friends and just being in the woods with your friends.

This is so true.

The deer camp I go to is in some of the best moose hunting there is in the province, no deer. Last year on the last week of deer season I saw one lonely deer all week but spent that same week with a good friend and his curmudgeonly father. I get invited back every year and wouldn't miss it for the world.

Easy for me to agree and disagree at the same time.

We spend time with family/friends out of doors all year long. We cook out, eat, have a beer or drink, fry fish, bbq and so on all year long. Often there are months in a row where not a weekend goes by without cooking/fishing or something.

So when deer season rolls around, we are with the same group to an extent and we all like to hunt, so then is when we become serious about hunting.

I feel for the folks the most, that only have a short amount of time to be out in the woods with friends.

Killing is not much important to me, at least not large animals, but we do like teh meat for sure, but just killing a handful of deer is not hard for us. But I sure do enjoy the season when we can sit out and watch nature and deer and maybe take something.

Times for all things I believe the good book does say.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dad started taking me to 7-11 Deer Camp when I was ten years age. Had several of the fellows that would stay up until 1-2 AM playing cards and drinking whiskey...keeping most folks from sleeping! This was right about the time hunters starting using scoped rifles. After that bunch dozed off...I'd slip out of bed, unscrew the adjustment covers on all the scopes and rotate at least 5-6 revolutions and then slip back into bed! Needless to say...over the next several days there were lots of deer missed and banging away checking the rifles to get zeroed again. I told Dad what I'd done 20 years later! He got a good laugh out of it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a youngster I was entertained in WVa camp by one insisting that scopes should only be zeroed via off hand shooting. When he got a single 30-30 round into the paper plate at 100, he was good to go with all the confidence in the world. Obviously, we were not in big sky country.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/08/17.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was talking recently with a friend in PENN and he said most of the older camp members have passed on and few of the younger kids want anything to do with hunting, but want to party at the camp on weekends during the summer. His oldest brother who inherited the camp from his father is talking about selling the camp, but only to another family member.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Dad started taking me to 7-11 Deer Camp when I was ten years age. Had several of the fellows that would stay up until 1-2 AM playing cards and drinking whiskey...keeping most folks from sleeping! This was right about the time hunters starting using scoped rifles. After that bunch dozed off...I'd slip out of bed, unscrew the adjustment covers on all the scopes and rotate at least 5-6 revolutions and then slip back into bed! Needless to say...over the next several days there were lots of deer missed and banging away checking the rifles to get zeroed again. I told Dad what I'd done 20 years later! He got a good laugh out of it!!

Damn, I knew I liked you for some reason.... I may know someone that did exactly the same, for exactly the same reason....

I believe thats called great minds....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unscrew the adjustment covers on all the scopes and rotate at least 5-6 revolutions

Did you have some sort of death wish? I personally would find no humor in that activity.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't forget the "camp idiot" that Patrick F. McManus writes about. I'm paraphrasing here

"every camp, no matter if you have 4 members or 40 has a 'camp idiot'. If this person does not immediately come to mind; it's probably you."

Well at our camp, this person immediately comes to mind. LOL

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have way too much cuture to be a " character"

Camp Cisco

Attached Images
IMG_0918.jpg (15.66 KB, 65 downloads)
Last edited by cisco1; 02/10/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had Rabbit, Digger, Baby, Floyd, The Maz, Bubba, and a host of others.

Great memories.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have had a lot of drunk bastards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
We have had a lot of drunk bastards.

Lol! I think a lot of deer camps have!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I dont mind people drinking, but if you dont know how to behave yourself.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.