24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ahhhhhh reminisce about my 1st truck.... My 1st truck was a 81 Yota w/ a 22R motor and that truck was bullet-proof! Except fer the tranny, since I put 2 of em in it before it had 150K on it... Mostly due to driver's fault!!! hahaha Next was a Nissan truck I bought new in 92. That was an excellent truck to. After those 2, I bought full size and never looked back. I love the newer Tacoma's but pull too much weight to get one. Fer a kid, I think it would be a great truck if you can find someone who ain't breaking the bank on one.

I bought a Z71 Crew new in 2010 and when my youngin' was 16 I looked all over fer a Yota but the prices were ridiculous. That's when I thought, hmmmmm I'll give him my 10 model and buy me a new one!!! Momma was on board so later 2014 I bought another new Z71 Crew and my youngin' has never had a issue with the 2010. Now I did explain to him that all his buddies driving ragged out trucks and tearing them up in the woods wasn't going to happen w/ his truck and he has been very good with it... Unfortunately it will be going on the chopping block in a few months when he goes to college and we get him an economical car to go back and forth to Tallahassee!!!

Good luck on your search fer him and it is a special time when you get your 1st sled!!!

Last edited by JasonR; 02/16/17.
GB2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a 1989 that the fenders looked like a cheese grater.
One day I was poking my finger through the frame and decided it was time to sell. I never had any problems with fishtailing.
It got good traction even in 2WD. It had a manual transmission and a 3.0 V 6. The back seat was not suitable for passengers unless they were very young.
I think they should make a 1 ton with a diesel.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
She now is leaning towards a full sized half ton, and so am I. Carries more, does more, costs the same, and gets similar mileage without the frame rot issue. She is used to driving a 3/4 ton crew, so drivability isn't an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter drove my Avalanche as her first vehicle from the time she turned 16 til she went to college. Even though we had the Tacoma, she preferred the full size vehicle. She did just fine with it. I'm sure your daughter will do great with whatever you end up getting.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
R
Hey all! I'm new on this legendary forum and just wanted to put in my two cents on Tacomas and 4Runners, although this thread seems to be dead. I've had a 3rd generation 4Runner for about a year now, and while it's no power horse, it's extremely capable, especially if you have the money to install some decent tires. Though Tacomas had that rust issue, I think the recall shows how serious Toyota is/was about righting the issue. Personally I would opt for a second generation Taco over a first generation (more kinks worked out), mainly for the obvious reason of being more modern and providing better safety features and such. Another positive of Tacos (Toyotas in general) is their wide range of customizing options, so if your son grows to really like his rig, the opportunities to build upon it to make it the ideal camping/hunting/outdoors vehicle are limitless.

Roman Schnobrich
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.