Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Guys some of you remember when Mr. Gradous first built this rifle for me, he did a great job putting it together, but the Bartlein barrel just wasn't consistent enough for my liking, and myself personally hate begging a rifle to shoot. This wasn't Rob's fault and I wholeheartedly understood what he meant by telling me "don't look a gift horse in the mouth, being it did shoot 3tenths and it was a lightweight rifle with a small barrel". Well I wasn't satisfied and told him that, being he's who he is he asked " what did I want him to do" Then I said " rebarrel it with a HawkHill 4 groove 10 twist" he obliged and it was the best thing since slice bread!

Ok here we go I got the rifle back, of course I was surprised at the expediate manner in which I did, being he be in slow motion while handling all the other business at the shop. I had been pondering on loading the 212 ELD-X in the rifle to kick things off....well I'm glad I started with them. Guys the 212 ELD- X w/RL26 surprised me. Second time out with 75.3 grns the rifle shot in the ZEROs, LOW LOW ZEROs....not gonna post that pic because you guys PROBABLY won't believe me. Now with that being said I started with 73.5 grns of RL26 and worked up to 76grns. Then after those loads were established I started doing 3tenths of a load instead of half. Today which is the fourth time out the rifle confirmed the 75.3 grains by shooting in the ones! Pics are below of the rifle and loads, best loads that were established after 2nd outting!

Thanks Robert Gradous/ Gradous rifles on doing another jam up job.....next up 7STW on a Borden Titanium OR another Pierce Ti....
Four shot groups shots are CCIs being I had light primer strikes on first time out so with CCIs I loaded up 4 rounds if indeed the light primer hits surfaced again...they didn't so I just shot the 4th anyway.

[Linked Image]
Same target as above to verify what target or bullseye that was being shot at.

[Linked Image]
CoreLokts 150grn....should've stopped @ 3 shots the group would've been tighter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do I read your posts in a Billy Mays salesperson voice every time?

Cool rifle...

Tanner

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[video:youtube]dh_2r06Ahs0[/video]

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner

Cool rifle...

Tanner

Shamwow

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wouldn't be satisfied with it only shooting 3 thenths of a inch either. Good move.

I expect custom rifles made with quality parts to shoot in the low low zeros too.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
FOAD you Obama loving POS.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Tanner

Cool rifle...

Tanner
KMSL! Thanks guy!

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I wouldn't be satisfied with it only shooting 3 thenths of a inch either. Good move.

I expect custom rifles made with quality parts to shoot in the low low zeros too.
.....atLEAST a 1/4" but would settle for .3s consistently, don't like to beg it to shoot better though Kaleb.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Were you dissatisfied with a 300 Win that shoots into .3's?

Last edited by RinB; 01/30/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so let me get this straight you had a 300 win mag that shot in the 3's?!?!? with a lightweight barrel no less? based on the pictures you posted except for the one group it looks to me like the old barrel shot better. I think expecting a 300 mag to shoot at or below .5 moa is a tall order at best. .5 moa is really all the accuracy anyone can use anyway. The rest is just being anal.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wonder what the gunsmith's story on this is....

I bet it's different...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RinB
Were you dissatisfied with a 300 Win that shoots into .3's?
The best it would do was .3s and if I went back out to shoot that same load it throw one erratically....found out the barrel wasn't lapped properly due to copper fouling about 8" before muzzle. It's lapped properly now being Robert redone it!

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
so let me get this straight you had a 300 win mag that shot in the 3's?!?!? with a lightweight barrel no less? based on the pictures you posted except for the one group it looks to me like the old barrel shot better. I think expecting a 300 mag to shoot at or below .5 moa is a tall order at best. .5 moa is really all the accuracy anyone can use anyway. The rest is just being anal.
No sir the older didn't being the 75.3grns shoot consistently in current barrel. When I settled with the load that was established with Bartlein it wouldNOT should THAT particular load consistent. Didn't show the other pics of the previous loading with this barrel @ 75.3grns that were actually better. To say the least you are correct on expecting .5moa being a tall order I just EXPECT Gradous rifles to do better.......and was being anal. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I someday hope to shoot well enough that a Bartlein barrel isn't consistent enough for me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I find it hard to believe that GRADOUS built this rifle.

He has already been crucified by the members of the fire.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by starsky
I someday hope to shoot well enough that a Bartlein barrel isn't consistent enough for me.
4 groove HawkHill and/or Krieger for me if I can help it.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I find it hard to believe that GRADOUS built this rifle.

He has already been crucified by the members of the fire.
KMSL.......as long as I live and he's able he'll be building me some more, trust me when I say I'm not done. That ole farm hand builds one heckuva rifle!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Um.. Do you really believe you can resolve .3 inches with your cross hair at 100 yards...

Sorry dude, too much BS in what you are saying, especially when the rifle might do well at 100 and loose it's [bleep] out at 300...

I've seen weirder stuff happen, and now that I read a post where .3" is too big of a group, well I've seen all the B.S. now...

Good group either way- - Can you shoot that good in the woods or only on the bench ?

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Um.. Do you really believe you can resolve .3 inches with your cross hair at 100 yards...

Sorry dude, too much BS in what you are saying, especially when the rifle might do well at 100 and loose it's [bleep] out at 300...

I've seen weirder stuff happen, and now that I read a post where .3" is too big of a group, well I've seen all the B.S. now...

Good group either way- - Can you shoot that good in the woods or only on the bench ?
LMAO........ok Spot, no need to BS anyone here guy. You're exactly right per doing well @ 100 and be crap out @ 300 though! Didn't say .3 was too big of a group, you did. .3 is a LASER for this type of setup!!!!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=Popapi]being it did shoot 3tenths and it was a lightweight rifle with a small barrel". Well I wasn't satisfied and told him

Last edited by Kaleb; 01/31/17.

P
Popapi Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb
[quote=Popapi]being it did shoot 3tenths and it was a lightweight rifle with a small barrel". Well I wasn't satisfied and told him
.....wasn't satisfied being it wasn't consistent with that load that shot .3 it would shoot a flyer OR two. NOW we TIGHT with the established load which is above an the 230OTMs are whats tor dinner next! Stay tuned!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

461 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,718
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.