Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11833281 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
wyoming260 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Wyoming
This year the only reason I killed an elk on my third trip out was because the cow I seen at 7 am the first morning did not give me a clean shot. I would have been just as happy with that cow as the Bull I did kill.......

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE to BUY ABM MATCH-GRADE HUNTING AMMUNITION!
#11833314 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: wyoming260]
saddlesore Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First day, mid week,or last day of the season,I have killed elk on all of them. If I am by myself,I usually go home as soon as I get the meat packed out.

If I am hunting with a partner,I stay until he tags out or the season closes. If warm I will figure out some way to get the meat in a local cooler or drive all the way home with it,get it in a cooler and return to camp.

I never stay in camp while the other hunter is out.I go out every morning with him, help with mules, bird dog, help any way I can,or hang around the stock to just enjoy the solitude.

#11833327 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: Joezone]
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
Originally Posted By Joezone
I came back with tag soup this year. I passed up elk twice on opening day partly due to it being early on opening day and partly due to the work it would have taken to get them out (would have been a cow each time). Came close to a big bull that day in thick timber but couldn't get a good shot at it before it sneaked off. Didn't see another elk the rest of the trip, after opening day pressure the elk disappeared and there was little to no snow to help find them. I still had fun trying the rest of the trip but I would like to have that meat in the freezer!
If that was a bedding area, you spooked them out and they won't come back until someone else spooks them back your way. That's a big mistake many hunters make. Stay out of the bedding area if you plan to hunt it more than once.

#11833364 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: Rock Chuck]
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep. Same is true with guys that get to camp early and then go stomping around in the timber to scout for elk.If they find them, they won't be there opening day

#11833419 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
bsa1917hunter Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Orygun
If I tag out early, I'll bear hunt the rest of the time while my hunting partner is out and about looking to fill his tag...

BSA

#11833448 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
mohick Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: MO backwoods
"Don't turn nothing down the first morning, you would die to have the last afternoon"

#11833480 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
davet Offline
Campfire Ranger

In my experience passing up a shot on the first day is almost always a mistake. I've done it on an out of state elk hunt with a questionable shot at a herd bull, and never had another opportunity. I've done it on local deer hunts, bow and rifle. If you want to fill the tag, the animal has a bit of say on when that happens, and there's no guarantee that they will work with your time schedule.

I've passed on 18 does with 3 doe tags in my pocket opening day, waiting for a good buck to shoot first, and then the last weekend there ain't one to be found...

#11833608 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
colorado bob Online   content
Campfire Ranger

My best opening day was on my bighorn sheep hunt. I watched 9 rams for 3 days from camp. Opening day was the Tuesday after Labor Day. We packed in on Saturday & saw the rams from camp that afternoon. I watched them for the following 2 days. Hiked up to that bowl on opening day and had a ram down by 9:30AM.

I shoot the 1st legal animal I see.

Edited by colorado bob (02/17/17)

#11833611 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: colorado bob]
tedthorn Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: South East Missouri
Originally Posted By colorado bob
I shoot the 1st legal animal I see.

I was that way up until about 2010

I now let all non mature bucks walk

#11833615 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
DakotaDeer Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I passed up a little buck opening day this year, because I had two big boys I was after.

I passed up a medium buck second weekend, with the hope that another big one I had seen might come through.

I ate tag soup. My daughter ate tag soup. My son ate muzzleloader tag soup. Yet we all combined hunted more days this year than we have in a long time.

Last year, the kids put two monster bucks on the ground within the first 4 hours of the first day out. Now that was a lot more fun than tag soup!

#11833623 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
rost495 Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: La Grange, TX
My theory has been, regardless of the day, if you don't shoot the antlers you see pretty much as soon as you see them, then you generally won't be happy with them anyway....

I almost let a buck that was close to 160 inches in the hill country walk 2 years ago, but when the rain finally quit and I could see him better, I whacked him as soon as I found the ammo in the backpack and could load the gun.

Others that I"ve seen over the years, let walk, then shot later... have never impressed me once they were dead...

#11833627 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
rost495 Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: La Grange, TX
RE shooting other than for the wall, IE on my meat hunts, those I tend to stretch as long as I can, because I just like sitting in the woods...as long as I know I can shoot a doe on the last day...

#11833643 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
colorado bob Online   content
Campfire Ranger

I guess a lot depends on how long your season is. I mainly hunt elk in Colorado's 1st rifle season. It's 5 days. I shoot the 1st legal elk I see. If there is a herd I'll usually pick out a dry cow over a bull. A dry Cow is much better eating. I go back to hunt deer with my brother in Ohio, it's a 1 week firearm season, again I shoot the 1st legal animal.

#11833792 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: Rock Chuck]
Joezone Offline

Originally Posted By Rock Chuck
[/quote]If that was a bedding area, you spooked them out and they won't come back until someone else spooks them back your way. That's a big mistake many hunters make. Stay out of the bedding area if you plan to hunt it more than once.

May well be the case. But not likely for me to be able to catch him going to or from as far from the trail head as it was and not having horses. I could have spent the night up there if I really wanted to rough it but wouldn't have known he was in that patch of timber ahead of time anyway at this particular location. Was cool just to see him though, he was a big one:)

#11833824 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: rost495]
1minute Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Burns/Hines, Oregon, USA
Yes. Ruined a 9-day hunt once doing that.

Have taken an early dink once in a while and then bounced some monsters as I was trailing around with my buds.

Edited by 1minute (02/17/17)

#11834079 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
hanco Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Texas
I would have to be a really good one. We get good buck and a cull, plus two does. Mess up rest of season!!!

#11834335 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
mmgravy Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Park Rapids, MN
Is not a problem with me when the right opportunity presents itself......

#11834458 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
shootsaswede Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: West of the Mississippi
My hunt last fall lasted 35 minutes from the time I left the truck till the deer was on the ground, fastest hunt ever in 42 years of hunting. I look forward to retirement when I can spend the whole season afield as opposed to one or two days. At that point I will forego my current mantra of if it's legal I'll take it. Till then I'll take what I can get.

#11834487 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
huntsonora Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Colorado
If anybody is on a guided hunt and you don't want to kill opening day PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let your guide know. I have no problem with whatever a client wants to do as it's their hunt but what might be your first day might be my 10th day or 15th day. I've hadn't guys pass giant deer due to it being "first day" and I had been busting my ass for weeks trying to turn that animal up for others.

Personally I am a trophy hunter and not many animals meet the requirements of what I want to kill so I'll gladly take a shot opening day. This year I killed my mule deer in Mexico 20 minutes into the hunt and never saw a better deer the rest of the week. It's just how it goes

#11834495 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: huntsonora]
moosemike Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Lancaster county PA
I can understand where you're coming from too. I would never do that to a guide.
A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him. -Aldo Leopold

#11834712 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: huntsonora]
tedthorn Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: South East Missouri
Originally Posted By huntsonora
If anybody is on a guided hunt and you don't want to kill opening day PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let your guide know. I have no problem with whatever a client wants to do as it's their hunt but what might be your first day might be my 10th day or 15th day. I've hadn't guys pass giant deer due to it being "first day" and I had been busting my ass for weeks trying to turn that animal up for others.

Personally I am a trophy hunter and not many animals meet the requirements of what I want to kill so I'll gladly take a shot opening day. This year I killed my mule deer in Mexico 20 minutes into the hunt and never saw a better deer the rest of the week. It's just how it goes

I've only been on 4 guided hunts in the USA

All 4 were first day tag outs.

I attribute those one day hunts to guides being on animals the days and weeks before I got to camp.

#11834815 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
Campfire 'Bwana

After waiting 16 years to draw a Colorado moose tag in 2015, my hunt last about 20 minutes tops the first day. I had a less than 1% chance of drawing that RFW tag according the draw statistic.

Edited by saddlesore (02/17/17)

#11834850 - 02/17/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
FishinHank Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Alaska
I am not a trophy hunter, so I am glad when I can tag out quickly. Gives me more time to get my traps together and fish. Our deer season is really long so I never worry about those, if I see a buck I harvest.

#11837126 - 02/18/17 Re: Tagging out the first morning of a hunt [Re: moosemike]
River_Ridge Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Upstate NY
Tag out early? Oh hell ya! No pressure and you can either help or heckle your fellow campers the rest of the season. Just be sure you have enough whiskey to last you the rest of your time in camp.
P.S. You don't have to tell your wife when you fill your tag early.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
OX 160 1
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
462 registered (257heaven, 19rabbit52, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 1374 Guests and 826 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RBCN 160 3

Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.